Steam for Linux - IT'S OFFICIAL (maybe).

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 Posted: Wed, May 12 2010 1:55 PM

This just might be the best thing to ever happen to Linux:

According to several sites that have been breaking the Steam for Mac news:  "Valve has also confirmed that it will make Steam available to Linux users in the coming months." [emphasis mine] (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7715209/Steam-for-Mac-goes-live.html)

It's speculated that it will arrive at the end of the summer.  Analysis of Steam has already identified several existing Linux-native games are already in the store and waiting, including UT4, World of Goo, ET:QW, and Doom 3.  And, all of Valve's Source games are said to be coming in native format (as they did for Mac).

Linux actually already performs better than comparably equipped Apple systems when it comes to OpenGL, and things are only going to get better now that there will be more feedback to the driver/card manufacturers on their proprietary driver performance and bugs.

I can't find any more details or sources at the moment, other than the always blissfully hopeful guys at Phoronix, but this seems legit... unless this is some kind of circular thing where Telegraph has been reading and misunderstanding older Phoronix news.  I'll keep looking for something official on Valve's site.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I'm so excited for this. Watching the launch of Steam for Mac today was cool. Can't wait for a OS that I actually use.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS