Shortcuts

Who's to Blame for the Poor Video Quality on Apple's iPad 3G?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,848
Points 1,170,755
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, May 3 2010 11:56 AM
Apple's iPad 3G went on sale over the weekend, quickly selling out in many Apple stores across the nation. According to initial data, Apple sold about 300,000 iPad 3G models in the past couple of days, including over a month of presales. In case you're wondering, Apple also sold about 300,000 of the less expensive Wi-Fi models on their first day of release in early April.

So everything's copacetic in Cupertino, right? Not so fast. Word on the Web is that a number of iPad apps are throttling or even blocking video altogether on the new 3G iPads. Users are complaining that YouTube, for example, is spitting out only low-res video, while ABC's TV viewer doesn't work at all.

Initial finger pointing was aimed squarely at AT&T, who angry users accused of imposing data limits, but the carrier might not be at fault. When asked by TechCrunch what's going on, AT&T simply responded, "That's something you need to ask Apple." Gee, thanks.

While there's still no definitive answer to what's going on, there's some discussion that individual app providers may ultimately be the ones to blame. Some reports suggest that rights issues are preventing ABC from streaming over 3G, while services like YouTube seem to emulating the same bitrate scaling as seen on the iPhone so that drops in quality are more noticeable on a larger screen.

Stay tuned as we continue to dig to find out what's really going on.
  • | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I would stick with a Windows netbook for now even though I like Apple products.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Ask Apple? Do they even know what's going on yet?

Hmm....I'd like to see what develops.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565

Um does anyone know whats going on yet? :D

Ok so if i read this correct... the iPad 3G users are blaming AT&T... AT&T is blaming Apple... Apple is blaming App providers... Who does the App providers blame???

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Points 945
JoelB replied on Mon, May 3 2010 6:42 PM

I'm guessing it's both. AT&T gives crap to Apple for plugging the network up, Apple blames AT&T for not providing big enough tubes. They both blame each other, and both shed the blame by doing so.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

its like hot potato...lol

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

If you ask me, it's a waste of a potato =D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I'm guessing they are all just passing the buck. Never know who is at fault until they come up with a fix. Then they won't be at fault they will be the ones that fixed it. Man I could work in PR. I get it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,574
Points 103,155
MembershipAdministrator

It's all my fault. Everyone send me a check for 20 bucks, if enough of you do it,........that will fix everything,........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545

I believe its still AT&T's 3G network that is the problem. on WiFi the iPad 3g video looks OK, and the video on the WiFi iPad is OK.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS