Apple's Steve Jobs Rails On Flash, Adobe's CEO Hits Right Back

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,749
Points 1,210,290
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 29 2010 11:26 PM
Sound the alarm. Wake the neighbors. Grab your guns. It's Adobe versusApple, and the war is officially underway. As if Apple didn't enoughhave fighting going on in their backyard already, the company hasseemingly picked another one this week with Adobe. The companyresponsible for Flash, Photoshop and Premiere has apparently got onSteve Jobs' (Apple CEO) bad side, causing him to lash out in a public note posted today on Apple.com's homepage.

For starters, this move is very unlike Apple. In fact, this may be thefirst time in the company's history that Steve Jobs has replied openlyto a company about an issue that has mostly be created and fueled byconsumers and the media. The issue, of course, is the inability of theiPhone, iPod touch and iPad to play Flash videos or open Flashwebsites. It's a huge issue, there's no two ways around it. And whileAdobe has been mostly quiet about it, consumers and the media have not.Many media outlets have panned the iPad for not being able to viewFlash websites or Flash video; it's the sole reason that Hulu won't runon a Tablet that was reportedly designed for multi-media playback. Howcan Apple tout the iPad's multi-media capabilities when it can't evenhandle Hulu, right? Well, Steve Jobs has an answer--six answers, infact.

The head of Apple has been steadfast in his determination to overlookFlash, come hell or high water. He knows that consumers hate not havingFlash. He knows that vast amounts of websites and multi-media onlinerelies on Flash. For as great as Mobile Safari is, it's still not theperfect mobile Web browser because it can't handle Flash. Basically,any Web site creator has to create a second site that loads withoutFlash elements in order to be viewed on the iPod touch, iPad or iPhone,and that's a serious shortcoming.

But Steve Jobs thinks that there's a better way than creating twosites; it's to create one site based around HTML5, CSS and JavaScript.Using open standards, he says, to bypass Flash altogether and create asingle site that opens on any web browser for desktop or mobile. It'sjust one of the points he makes in a long rant on Adobe, where he alsopoints out that many major media outlets have re-worked their websitesspecifically to work on the iLine of products. He also notes that Flashis the #1 reasons that Macs crash, and he doesn't want that kind ofjunk to go on with the iPad, iPod touch or iPhone. Basically, he justdoesn't trust Flash to run well on mobile devices. He also thinks thatFlash kills mobile battery life, and he mentions that Flash was neverdesigned for use with touch-screen interfaces.

Later in the day, Shantanu Narayen (Adobe CEO) was interviewed by TheWall Street Journal, where they asked him to respond to some of Jobs'claims. He laughed off the notion that Flash was closed, and he franklynoted that both companies "have different views of the world," withAdobe's view being "multi-platform." He states that he has a Nexus Onerather than an iPhone, and points out that Adobe has been working witha number of companies to implement Flash on future Tablets (a knock onthe iPad, we guess). He also points out that Apple's view on Flash isforcing Web site owners and app developers to create two of everything:a normal version, and an Apple version. Developers, he thinks, arehaving to bend and create special versions for Apple, whereas SteveJobs thinks these devs are having to make special versions for everyoneelse. You can see how the viewpoints would conflict, right?

We tend to agree and disagree with both gentlemen. Apple sees Flash asa last-generation standard that the world needs to kiss goodbye; Adobesees Flash as the present and future, and that Apple needs to cave andadopt. We tend to think that Flash is on the way out, but it's far fromgone. Until then, we'd like to see Apple support Flash, but we get theimpression that Flash would never be relieved of its post if Apple wereto do so. If the iPad and iPhone supported Flash, why would anyonedevelop around Flash? There'd be no good reason to waste resourcesdoing so. Regardless of whether or not Steve Jobs thinks that Flash isgood for mobile, the fact of the matter is that a lot of online contentuses Flash today, and that's not changing tomorrow. It's reallyannoying to think that even an iPad, with a 1GHz CPU, can't play Huluvideos. All because Steve Jobs thinks that performance will belackluster.

Have these guys considered working together to make things better? Whatif Apple could help Adobe create a new Flash that didn't drain thebattery as bad, and that didn't require so many resources? There simplyhas to be a better way than pointing fingers and yelling about who isright in this situation, but considering the egos we're dealing withhere, we doubt either of these men will cave and compromise. And in theend, the consumer loses because of it.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I guess this is what happens when Steve Jobs doesn't get what he wants.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Apr 30 2010 10:16 AM

>> Later in the day, Shantanu Narayen (Adobe CEO) was interviewed by The Wall Street Journal, where they asked him to respond to some of Jobs' claims. He laughed off the notion that Flash was closed

Which means the Adobe CEO doesn't know the difference between closed and open.

I'm no fan of how controlling Jobs has been of the Apple platforms, but in his defense Adobe's crossplatform support has been *extremely* poor. Ask any 64-bit Linux user what their web experience was like from 2004 to 2009. Adoption of open standards would result in the best experience across all platforms - not just the ones to which Adobe deems worthy of attention.

Also, I don't like my multimedia to be constructed from mud.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

This is all about the arrogant elitist JOBS! He didn't get paid enough from Adobe and he doesn't like that they have always developed for the consumers! The CEO's comments were probably just to reflect that the software is closed being developed. When they have something that can work across platform, then they just need to worry about making fixes to any issues that arise, and not pander to one manufacturer just because they want exclusivity.

I would love to see Adobe stop all development and support for all their products, across all Apple lines! Then lets see how arrogant he is. 95% of Apples are probably used mainly for CS suites. At least then we might get rid of all those dillweeds who like to call themselves animators just because they can push some Flash around! Then photographer will find they have more money to hire more models, and with the right big screen you can just put that highly upgradable ugly PC under the desk yet still be as fashionable :P

They all just need to stick to doing what is good for their customers, and only be concerned with what they have to say. And stop thinking of themselves as Politicians. As for now I will keep saying turtleneck sucks (_o_)

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, May 1 2010 11:45 AM

Let's teach both of them a lesson and stop using computers altogether!

Everyone's cursive has gone downhill these past ten years and we need the practice anyway. We could write out everything we want to say in longhand and snail-mail it again! (this would also serve to reinvigorate the US Postal Service)

Then, when people talk about Flash, they will be speaking of what they wish Angelina Jolie would do to them.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

At work I have sold many a net book over an Ipad. People come in all giddy about the ipad then they ask what can it do/ what i cant do. I say all it can do then I say it does not support flash. People then ask what is flash and I tell them you cant play farmville and that answers it for them....lol

Then i get other people how think apple will change and support flah because they "have to"; Ignorant masses... I even has some people say that they will email apple, like that will change any thing...lol 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Hahahah Farmville. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 24,775

3vi1:

>> Later in the day, Shantanu Narayen (Adobe CEO) was interviewed by The Wall Street Journal, where they asked him to respond to some of Jobs' claims. He laughed off the notion that Flash was closed

Which means the Adobe CEO doesn't know the difference between closed and open.

I'm no fan of how controlling Jobs has been of the Apple platforms, but in his defense Adobe's crossplatform support has been *extremely* poor. Ask any 64-bit Linux user what their web experience was like from 2004 to 2009. Adoption of open standards would result in the best experience across all platforms - not just the ones to which Adobe deems worthy of attention.

Also, I don't like my multimedia to be constructed from mud.

Neither does Steve Jobs, its like the both of them are screaming at the top of their lungs We're Open. truth is neither are. I really wish the two of them would STFU, pardon my french.

the other side of this whole thing is in order to use mpeg4 h.264 as the video codec of the web the MPEG group gets a nice licensing fee no?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

digitaldd:
Neither does Steve Jobs, its like the both of them are screaming at the top of their lungs We're Open. truth is neither are. I really wish the two of them would STFU, pardon my french.

This. Neither are open, but Apple really has no room to call out other companies. They are even trying to control the way you compile code for iPod/Pads.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS