This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 Posted: Thu, Apr 29 2010 7:18 PM

Here are the pics that I promised!

I already have it dual-booting Linux, and it's FAST:

• Windows7 boot time: ~10 seconds

• Kubuntu 10.04 boot time: ~6 seconds!!!

But more on that later...

`

First off, this is what it looks like when you see it for real.  Shiny.  :)

In the pics below, it doesn't look as shiny because it's reflecting the beige carpet.  Trust me, it looks great.

Now let's go back to the beginning...

A package from iBuyPower and HotHardware, and the mail service only let three or four things jab holes in the (very sturdy) box.  Yay!

After making my 8yr old move it inside and tell me if he could hear any ticking, I decided to open it.

What!?!?!  This box seems to only contain a power cable, restore CD, extra rails, (plenty of) extra thumbscrews, and some manuals!  I've been had!  I will kill you Dave and Marco!!!!

Wait a second... there appears to be a false bottom to the box!  And there's a PC in there!  I love you Dave and Marco!!!

Shipped with extra protective plastic on the front to keep the sweet paint job from getting all knicked up!

Hmmm.... Maybe I should leave that on, like those people from the 70's and their plastic couches...

If your computer looks like this,

and someone asks you "Is it fast?", I think you're not only legally allowed, but morally obligated, to punch them in the back of the head.

Wait a second, someone shoved a diaper in there.

Oh... no, it's just incredibly sturdy packing material.  There's no way any contents shifted in there.

Where I work, we once received a server from one of our other locations where the yahoos who packed it didn't do this.  That server sounded like a box of cereal when shaken.

It also possesses inner beauty!

(and you didn't even have to set your Google Image safe-search from 'moderate' to 'off').

Here, I was trying to get close enough to determine which parts were manufactured by Stark Industries.

OH NOZE!!!!  No PS2 port!!!  Well... let's start boxing this piece of crap back up....

or not.

Nice and simple behind the face plate, and that Blu-Ray drive is speedy.

I'll be posting some additional info soon!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

very nice

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, Apr 30 2010 2:32 AM

...pending.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Apr 30 2010 5:55 AM

You're lucky, I wish I could have that sweet-ass PC.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 1,710

Congrats on the power cable and manuals.

*reads further*

Oh, you did get that computer.  Ok, well congrats on winning that too :P It looks very nice!  Can't wait to see more!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,659
Points 104,155
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Apr 30 2010 9:40 AM

You'll find that the Asetek LCLC (Low Cost, Liquid Cooling) CPU water cooler controls the temps on that beast handily. I added a second fan to mine sandwiching the radiator between two faster matching Scythe 120mm fans. Under load, my i7-870 stays at about 32-36c now.

Thanks for the detailed Pics. Enjoy that thing too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

I'm so jealous bro. The pics make me drool, no doubt about that. I hope that one day in the future I too can revel in the majestic aroma of freshly packaged silicon. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Apr 30 2010 5:21 PM

Marius Malek:

I'm so jealous bro. The pics make me drool, no doubt about that. I hope that one day in the future I too can revel in the majestic aroma of freshly packaged silicon. 

Hang in there.  The HH guys have a seemingly unending bag of goodies, and I'm sure the next system will be even more awesome.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,659
Points 104,155
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Apr 30 2010 7:04 PM

3vi1:
  Hang in there 

IdeaThat's good advice.Idea

The systems do seem to keep on coming, and they're usually just a little bit better each time.

As I've said many times, the odds here are a lot better than playing the lottery if you can, and do, take the time to participate. It amazes me that there isn't many hundreds of people actively participating/competing for these systems. I think that people hesitate to spread the word, so as not to screw up their chances of winning. Big Smile

Dave, Marco, and the rest of the HotHardware.com staff must stay incredibly busy trying to put this continuing series of contests together, along with providing the content we get to see on the site, plus all of the reviews too.

'Hanging In There' ain't so tough to do around here.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Oh trust me I'm not going anywhere. I've already unpacked everything and raided the fridge. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, May 1 2010 12:01 AM

DAM it why did you post these pics! i now need a new keyboard :(.

Anyways AWESOME computer! hope you are nice to him/her :P

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, May 1 2010 4:50 AM

3vi1:

Marius Malek:

Hang in there.  The HH guys have a seemingly unending bag of goodies, and I'm sure the next system will be even more awesome.

Man, I seriously can't wait until the next contest, I seriously can't.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Sweet looking rig 3vi1.  Since when were you a mod?  Is that a recent development?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

mentaldisorder:
Sweet looking rig 3vi1.

That things looking good hows it running so far and hows Windows 7 doing. I would be interested on seeing a little benchmarks.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Yes, benchmarks would be incredible to see. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

mentaldisorder:

Sweet looking rig 3vi1.  Since when were you a mod?  Is that a recent development?

LOL he has been a mod since he was announced the winner of this beast :D!

Ya we're waiting for those benchmarks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, May 3 2010 9:27 PM

amdcrankitup:
and hows Windows 7 doing

Beats me.  I only booted it once, after resizing the drive (to make sure it still worked) during the Linux install.  :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

3vi1:
Beats me.  I only booted it once, after resizing the drive (to make sure it still worked) during the Linux install.  :)

lol.

Got a great looking rig there. Grats man.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,659
Points 104,155
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, May 4 2010 10:40 AM

3vi1:
Beats me.  I only booted it once

NOBODY is going to make THIS guy drink the Microsoft Kool-Aid anytime soon!! Hmm

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 260

That computer looks beautiful.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS