Intel's MeeGo To Expand To Notebooks And Desktops: What's Next For The Linux OS?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,172,065
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 25 2010 5:40 PM
MeeGo. YouGo. WeGo. But where does MeeGo...go? Confusion aside, there'sword on the street that Intel's new MeeGo (which was the end productwhen Nokia's Maemo and Intel's Moblin were combined) could be destinedfor more than it was originally intended for. Or maybe we just all gotthe wrong idea from the start. Initially, MeeGo was setup to fit onMIDs, UMPCs, and possibly even Tablet PCs or Slate PCs. It was alightweight operating system; something that could go on a pocketdevice that would last 6-12 hours on a charge, yet not be responsiblefor handling heavy-duty chores such as video editing and such.

According to a company executive this week, though, there willeventually be a version of MeeGo that supports "mainstream laptops anddesktops," which is bold, brave move in every regard. Only Apple andGoogle have thus far dared to step to Microsoft in the desktop/notebookOS space, with OS X having less than 10% of global market share andChrome OS still in development. For Intel to come forward and confessthat they will be bringing yet another Linux-based system into the foldis downright shocking.

To date, no version of Linux has managed to catch on with themainstream public. It's widely used in enterprise and Web hosting, buthardly ever in homes. MeeGo, however, could be the Linux build thatactually has a change. If kept simple, consumers may bite, particularlyif this launches first on Intel-based netbooks. The good thing abouthaving Intel being this OS is that the company is likely to make surethings remain compatible; many printers, GPUs, etc. aren't compatiblewith many Linux operating systems, but with Intel behind MeeGo, we betmany of those issues vanish.

Doug Fisher, vice president of the software and services group atIntel, confirmed that the company plans to "release an edition of Meegofor entry-level desktops that will alsowork with mainstream laptops and desktops running on Intel's fasterCore processors," but no specific launch date was given. Another thingto consider here is that MeeGo is obviously flexible; there may end upbeing a MeeGo for tablets, a MeeGo for MIDs, a MeeGo for set-top boxesand a MeeGo for notebooks. MeeGo everywhere? Maybe.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Mon, Apr 26 2010 4:06 AM

«To date, no version of Linux has managed to catch on with the mainstream public. It's widely used in enterprise and Web hosting, but hardly ever in homes.» To me, this sounds like false propaganda from our friends at Microsoft, at least as regards netbooks ; according to this article from Computer World (http://preview.tinyurl.com/yl5jn87 ), some 32 % of netbooks «on track to ship [in 2009]» had en Linux distro installed, while 68 % had a Windows version. A large proportion of these must certainly be included in the category of computers used «in homes». Meego will be a welcome addition to this group, but if, as I believe, a 32 % share of the market cannot be dismissed as «hardly ever», the resulting change in the market will be quantitive, rather than qualitative....

Henri

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

This would prove interesting if netbooks or Tablets had a cell phone feature and Bluetooth!

Till then it sounds like they are just trying to get a jump on Android.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 26 2010 8:17 AM

I gotta agree with Henri. I think there are more Linux users than the experts suggest - the problem is that it's hard to count them since there's no centralized sales figure and distros can be freely copied/distributed even by end users.

Recently, Ubuntu made what I consider a very conservative guess that they have 12 million users (based on updates from repos), and Fedora made the way high (in my opinion) guess that they have 24 million users. If you were to consider Debian, Suse, Mint, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Gentoo, etc. users on top of those, you'd probably get a number that compares pretty well against the total number of people that have moved to Win7.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Apr 26 2010 8:24 AM

I want to see adaptation of Linux take off and in a big way. If I could game on a Linux the same way I can with my windows boxes then I would drop Microsoft like a hot rock. Considering how they screwed the world with some of their OS releases over the years, (Vista, Windows Me, etc.....) and never made it good with us, (owners of Vista should have been upgraded to Win7 for free or very little) if they want loyalty they can buy a dog.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS