Targus Slims Down Charger Lineup, Gives Good Idea To Everyone Else

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,160
Points 1,185,425
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Apr 24 2010 1:52 AM
What could the world use more of these days? Well, that's a loadedquestion now that we think about it, but still, it's tough to deny thatlonger lasting batteries could be an excellent answer. In lieu of that,we suppose newer, smaller chargers will have to suffice. This week,Targus is announcing their lightest, most compact chargers for laptops,netbooks and other mobiledevices such as smartphones, cell phones, iPads, iPods, MP3 players,and portable game players. They're marketed at travelers and those whoprefer to roll with carry-ons alone, but frankly, just about any mobilecomputer user could benefit from what's being offered up.

With the Tips from Targus program, the chargers can be upgraded to workwith other mobile devices in the household, or new laptops purchased inthe future at no charge. In addition, the product has been designed with next generationtechnology to dramatically reduce the size and provide a flexible,modular platform for different types of usage modes and charging needs.The elimination of the AC cord, for example, not only reduces bulk whentraveling, but also allows the power adapter to be out of the way whenbeing used at home or the office. The product also requires 60% lessmaterials to build and package than current adapters, and combined withits ability to upgrade, makes it the most eco friendly power adapter onthe market today. Couldn't tell that Earth Day was this week, could you?

Exact pricing and model details are below, and if there's no chargerlisted for the product you need, you probably need to question whatexactly you're after.

Targus Compact Laptop Charger (AC) - APA69CA

TheCompact Laptop Charger is half the size and weight of a typical ACcharger and it provides simultaneous charging of most laptop brands anda low-power devices. The APA69CA is compatible with most  HP, Dell,Sony, Lenovo, IBM, Panasonic, Compaq, Acer, Asus, Gateway and Fujitsulaptops. This charger includes a mini-USB tip for low-power deviceslike a BlackBerry and has an iPad/iPhone/iTouch/iPod connectoravailable for shipping and handling fees.  The Compact Laptop Chargermeasures 2.73 x 0.78 x 4.5 inches, weighs 11.6 ounces and is availablefor an MSRP of $99.99.

Targus Netbook Charger (AC) - APA70CA

Themost versatile netbook charger on the market today, Targus' new NetbookCharger supports a wide array of leading netbook brands plus chargesone additional low power device at the same time. The AC charger iscompatible with netbooks by leading manufacturers such as Acer, Asus,Compaq, Dell, HP, IBM, Lenovo, MSI and Samsung. It measures 2.73 x 0.78x 4.5 inches, weighs 11.5 ounces and is available for an MSRP of $89.99.The unique design also allows the charger to simultaneously charge alow power device including a smartphone, iPad/iPhone/iTouch/iPod orother low-power device.

Targus Mobile Laptop Charger (DC) - APD80CA

Idealfor travel, the new Mobile Laptop Charger is the lightest and mostcompact DC charger on the market today. The charger can be used as anadditional charger when you're working in the car or on an extendedflight or train ride. The DC charger includes eight laptop tips and onemini-USB tip. It conveniently lets you charge more with less clutter soyou can leave all your other chargers at home. It measures just 3 1/2inches long, weighs 6.9 ounces and is available at an MSRP of $89.99.

Allof Targus' new chargers can power or charge two devices simultaneously.The AC Chargers all have a rotating integrated AC plug that allows youto plug the charger vertically into a power strip without blockingother outlets.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

That's not really going to be practical if you have an APC with the sockets lined up sideways like me? If you can rotate the plugs then I would understand.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Animatortam,

the plug does swivel so you can stand it straight-up like the pictures above, or pulg it into a socket in standard wall wart style (hanging down). On my APC the plugs face outward, so, if I plug this into the last socket, it does cover the next socket over, but I put up with it knowing how much of a life saver it is when I travel or spend all day away from home most people.hotels just have the standard strips or I'm plugging straight into the wall (when this works best).

T.G.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

OK,...Yeah I should have said Swivel Rotate!

I know it swivels close, but that was my point is that it still must be aligned in one direction. I have many Targus products and they have served me well. My current Targus universal adaptor has the standard three prong plug and I have never had a problem with plugging it in without worrying about what is on either side. That was not an attack on Targus or how cool this new product is. It was just a constructive concern about functional ergonomics. I have found these things to be invaluable when doing computer repair, and it would be nice to not have to run into any plug issues when on the go.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance