Valve Introduces Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing DLC, New Weekly "Mutations"

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,760
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 20 2010 11:42 PM
It's not often that we cover software titles specifically here atHotHardware, but the Left 4 Dead series isn't your average softwaretitle. We use it religiously when testing out the latest desktop rigs,and in our down time, we spend way too many hours blasting through theundead in an attempt to hit that next level. Valve has today announcedyet another reason to crank up the title if you've been letting itcollect dust: The Passing.

It's a new add-on that aims to "bring L4D1 survivors down south," andit'll be released tomorrow exclusive for the Xbox 360 console and thePC. It also introduces something new to the gaming world--weekly gamemode events dubbed "Mutations." These week-long runs of new gameplaymodes range from "Realism Versus" mode to "Chainsaw Massacre," whichgives all players chainsaws with an unlimited supply of gasoline. Thereare over 20 Mutations planned, each playable on all L4D2 Campaigns, andthey'll be available only to "The Passing" owners.

It'll be available for 560 Microsoft Points on Xbox 360 and free on the PC, but c'mon, you know you bought this for PC to begin with, right? Hope so!

LEFT 4 DEAD 2 THE PASSING COMING APRIL 22

Game Add-On Brings L4D1 Survivors Down South

April 20, 2010 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the first game add-on for its co-operative zombie thriller, Left 4 Dead 2 The Passing, is due for release Thursday, April 22 exclusively for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and the PC.

The first game add-on for Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) brings the original Left 4 Dead (L4D1) Survivors down south for a meeting with the L4D2 cast, while delivering new single-player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay for  the PC and Xbox 360.

The Passing also introduces a series of weekly game mode events dubbed "Mutations." These week-long runs of new gameplay modes range from "Realism Versus" mode to "Chainsaw Massacre," which gives all players chainsaws with an unlimited supply of gasoline. There are over 20 Mutations planned, each playable on all L4D2 Campaigns. Mutations are exclusively available to owners of "The Passing" DLC.

In addition, "The Passing" offers a new co-operative challenge mode of play, support for infected bot play in Versus, a new "uncommon common" zombie class (the fallen survivor), melee weapon (golf club), and firearm (M-60).

Available for 560 Microsoft Points on Xbox 360 and free on the PC, "The Passing" takes place just after the Dead Center campaign of L4D2. Set in a small town in rural Georgia, players assume the role of the L4D2 Survivors as they meet with the L4D1 characters.

Exclusively available for Xbox 360 and the PC, L4D2 sets a new benchmark for co-operative action games. The title adds melee combat to enable deeper co-operative gameplay, with items such as a chainsaws, frying pans, axes, baseball bats, and more.

With the AI Director 2.0, L4D's dynamic gameplay is taken to the next level by giving the Director the ability to procedurally change weather effects, world objects, and pathways in addition to tailoring the enemy population, effects, and sounds to match the players' performance. The result is a unique game session custom fitted to provide a satisfying and uniquely challenging experience each time the game is played.

Finally, with new Survivors, boss zombies, weapons, and items, Left 4 Dead 2 offers a much larger game than the original, featuring more co-operative campaigns, more Versus campaigns, new Survival maps, and the new competitive game mode, Scavenge.

For more information, please visit www.l4d.com
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Been looking forward to this!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 1,710

ZOEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I will be playing this at the end of the week.  I wonder which L4D1 character will die? (a player will have to sacrifice him/herself for the team during the campaign) If the death can be anyone, then I'll be glad because I don't want to see a particular character die.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Wed, Apr 21 2010 5:53 PM

Interesting, I never felt the need to get another L4D when i already got board of the first one and the second one is nothing much different. I would be over at my friends house this week to play this :D lol.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Very excited about this. Also Inspector. I felt the same way about L4D 1. I waited to get it so by the time I did everyone I played with knew exactly what car not to shoot and what corner to hide in. 2 melee crouched and 2 shooting standing. Not much fun. The first time I really really had fun with it was when the new campaign came out and me and 3 others played it all for the first time. L4D2 does a lot to stop mix it up and keep it a little fresher.

I just got it a week or 2 ago when it went down in price. Been playing a whole lot more though and having more fun than I did with L4D1. The melee weapons are also a riot. Chainsaw and grenade launcher is not the best to get through a map, but man is it fun.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

bob_on_the_cob:
Chainsaw and grenade launcher is not the best to get through a map, but man is it fun

Chainsaw has a couple kick azz caveats, one of which involves a smoker pulling you towards him on even ground unblocked by anything. Another is to just gas it while standing still and let the horde run at you and esentially eviscerate themselves. lol

I have a blast with the 'nade launcher(pun intended :P), but it's often hard to get clean shots because suicidal noobs jump in the way. The launcher wreaks insane havoc on tanks if you can get clean shots ... you can take one out solo fairly easily with it. I've done it once, but had to make sure my team knew I wanted to and would let me do it without trying to assist.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Fishing for zombies in the south is done with Grenades :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 10:57 PM

haven't picked this game up on PC yet... I probaby should tho... like I need an other excuse not to study lol

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

acarzt:

haven't picked this game up on PC yet... I probaby should tho... like I need an other excuse not to study lol

Only $20 right now on Steam. Totally worth it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 5:04 AM

Bob... you are a bad bad man... lol

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

acarzt:

Bob... you are a bad bad man... lol

I'll friend you and we can play together. Wink Plus Marco plays all the time. Plenty of opportunity to play with the BigWop himself.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 7:25 AM

bob_on_the_cob:

Only $20 right now on Steam. Totally worth it.

I noticed that special too.  Been trying hard to resist, but I might get it myself.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I am waiting for the Doctor Who Games, which will come out on May 5th. They are supposed to be free. I am not sure hot it will play, but looks decent for a free download.

I will take Daileks over zombies any day :)

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 25 2010 10:37 AM

Sorry I didn't get to play L4D with you and your bud yesterday Bob.  I was letting my son use my account to play Portal at the time you guys got online.

That's the one bad thing about Steam:  There's no way to transfer games.  I've already beat Portal, but I can either a) buy it again for my son, or b) not be able to play *any* Steam game while I let him use my account (instead of his).  I'd be promoting Valve a lot more if they would fix that, regardless of the other DRM.

What they need to do is introduce "account linking" for up to ~4 accounts, such that if I'm on Steam someone in my family can play any of my games that  I (or another family member) am not currently playing.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

3vi1:
What they need to do is introduce "account linking" for up to ~4 accounts, such that if I'm on Steam someone in my family can play any of my games that  I (or another family member) am not currently playing.

Great idea! Don't keep quiet about it... is there a place/person to whom you can submit this idea?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 25 2010 5:07 PM

recoveringknowitall:

Great idea! Don't keep quiet about it... is there a place/person to whom you can submit this idea?

I wasn't going to, but I did it just for you.  :)

After looking around, I submitted it to the two places where I hope it might get noticed.  First, I put it as Steam feedback to their support organization (asking it to be forwarded), and I also sent it directly to the Steam programmer Dan Berger.

I think I made a compelling argument that it would actually increase Steam adoption and sales instead of vice versa.  So, maybe they'll actually take it under consideration.

-J

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

gaben@valvesoftware.com Gabe Newell. Head of Valve. I think it would be really really cool. Me and Jen have a lot of the same games bought twice and my little bro only has Team Fortress. Would be cool to give him some of the games. Think the problem would be now that they have so many licenses/deals with publishers with the current way things are it is doubtful that even if Valve wanted to do something like that it would be a hard sell to get publishers to lose any ounce of control. All of them Valve included would much rather you buy the game again.

The one thing that really annoys me is I if I am downloading something on my desktop and sign in on my laptop to talk it signs me out of my desktop.

Also 3vi1, Don't worry about it. A ton of people in my TF2 community have L4D 1 and 2. Plus a bunch more picked it up this last week. So it's not hard to get a game going. I like playing with them better than random people because much like here we have a pretty grown up group of people. Unlike most of the internet.  Plus we have a private L4D2 server in Chicago so I jump on there and have good ping.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 25 2010 5:48 PM

bob_on_the_cob:
All of them Valve included would much rather you buy the game again.

My argument to Valve on this was that there's no profit in that logic because most people won't buy another copy of a game they already own and are not actively playing.  And, the first time customers realize this limitation they will be encouraged to buy boxed copies of future games instead  - cutting Valve out of sales (of non-Valve games) completely.  Adding this feature to Steam would eliminate the benefits of getting the boxed copy instead and make Steam much more appealing.

As with all technical systems - they could give publishers the ability to opt-in/out for specific games.  That's fine by me - I just won't buy games from publishers that opt their games out, just like today I won't buy any game via Steam unless it's got a large online multiplayer component and is being sold at an extremely discounted price.

-J

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Very good points. I play mostly Valve and indy games from steam. Both would be likely candidates to opt in to such a option. I just don't see companies that force you to be online at all times in a single player game to go to a option that lets us sell/trade/give away games that we have bought. After all gamestop is considered criminal by such companies. Doubt they would allow such an option on the PC that despite other issues for them lacks that one.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS