New iPhone Model Left Behind In Redwood Bar

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,891
Points 1,173,790
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 19 2010 9:12 PM
You can bet that someone, somewhere, is a very unhappy ex-Apple employee now that one of the company's prototype next-generation iPhones was lost (and found) in a Redwood City bar. Whoever found the device (they're understandably laying low) turned it over to Gizmodo, which has spent a significant chunk of time disassembling the device, snapping photos, comparing its internal components to current-generation Apple iPhones, and documenting the various changes. The prototype phone includes the following changes/features:
  • Improved back-facing camera
  • Front-facing video camera
  • Improved Display (possibly with a resolution of 960x460, though this seems an unlikely resolution)
  • Possible secondary microphone
  • Split volume buttons
  • Micro-sim card similar to the iPad's.
  • Integrated camera flash

Here's a picture of the two devices lined up side-by-side; it's obvious that this new phone would be a significant departure from the current generation of iPhones. The new phone looks as though it might be ever-so-slightly taller than the current model, but is possibly thinner—it's hard to eyeball the net effect on the phone's internal volume since the current model uses a rounded case while the next-gen iPhone is squared off. This is precisely the sort of situation where we'd normally be coughing and making finger quotes at the idea that this is a next-generation iPhone, but Gizmodo's own research into the phone's authenticity is extremely compelling. Put simply, there are a great many reasons to think this phone is real, which raises the question of when, exactly, we might see these devices on the market.

One thing I'm particularly curious about is how the iPhone will continue to evolve now that the iPad is on the market. The two devices serve different needs, but not necessarily different customers; the fact that AT&T charges $60 for a combined iPhone+iPad data connection undoubtedly has some Apple customers eyeing the question of whether or not they can switch to either a cheap non-smartphone cell model or get along on just an iPad + VoIP technology. It sounds as though this new phone will definitely keep the iPhone fresh and interesting even in the face of its larger cousin. Gizmodo hasn't confirmed, but we expect there'll be an A4 CPU at the heart of the beast. We wouldn't necessarily take a lot away from that—the smart bet is currently on the A4 being nothing more than an ARM Cortex A8 with a cut-down I/O package—but with Apple, hardware updates are only a small part of the picture.

Unfortunately, Apple killed the iPhone with a remote update (one reason not to want one, period), but Gizmodo has videos and a number of comparison photos available. Previous iPhones have debuted high-end models above $300—with the iPad now available, we could see a lower-priced model at launch.
  • | Post Points: 185
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,782
Points 40,575
Inspector replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 9:13 PM

Ya, :D some one already linked us to that :D.

I really wonder if apple will go after gizmodo for the prototype back... :D (That guys should of handed it over to HH! :P lol). Still don't like the square design/look :(

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Thats what happens when you are an Appleholic!

Hmmm..Looks alot like the HTC EVO!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 9:58 PM

Well this does make for an interesting story, it could add to the hype for the next gen I-Phone. I do like the look of new model as well. Not a bad PR move IMO.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 10:31 PM

la_guy_10:
Not a bad PR move IMO.

Now THAT'S an interesting scenario: conveniently 'losing' your hot new hardware prototype at one of the local waterholes frequented by web journalists!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Its good that someone else agrees that Apple uses conniving, scheming propaganda, as a form of marketing:)

This is how they get the masses to line up for hours so they can make the 5 O'clock news!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 11:44 PM

@Super Dave yea but I was trying to put a positive spin on this, the poor fellow might not have a job anymore. Look at the bright side he got the word out. It's garnering massive attention.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

la_guy_10:
@Super Dave yea but I was trying to put a positive spin on this, the poor fellow might not have a job anymore.

I am starting to find it hard to believe Apple is not planning some of these slips. That or for the last 10 years they have not been able to track down the few people slipping out this info to the press.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Tue, Apr 20 2010 12:24 AM

la_guy_10:
the poor fellow might not have a job anymore.

Or worse, maybe Apple will send him to work at Foxconn.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,700
rapid1 replied on Tue, Apr 20 2010 1:35 AM

Here is Steve Jobs reply to this whole ordeal as well as a discrete method to Gizmodo. Please be advised might contain some adult language. Mister Jobs can get kind of verbally perturbed at times obviously. Just click the link it's about the new iPhone, well maybe not anymore, but it was for real as admitted in the video!

http://jobso.tv/

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Apr 20 2010 6:31 AM

I don't kinda like the new look to it but I do like all of the new features and maybe, this'll probably make me jump on the iPhone bandwagon.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 1,710

Gizmodo: Hey, we found your iPhone.  You might want it back

Steve: Yes, I would like to have that back. Thanks

Gizmodo: Sure, just let me take it apart first

Steve: kk, lol

Seriously?  I don't see how anyone can say it got lost at a bar, took it apart without knowing what was inside it (could have broke something) and then give it back to them.  Is that what you do when you find a phone that got lost?  Come on

The iPhone looks good, but it's a stunt

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Apr 20 2010 7:09 AM

moethelawn:

Seriously?  I don't see how anyone can say it got lost at a bar, took it apart without knowing what was inside it (could have broke something) and then give it back to them.  Is that what you do when you find a phone that got lost?  Come on

The iPhone looks good, but it's a stunt

I don't think it's a stunt, people are curious about what's under the hood so they dissect it to see how this baby works and some people are pretty forgetful when it comes to well, anything. You're forgetting one thing, this is a prototype iPhone, what would anybody do when they find a prototype Apple product lying around? Return it? Nah, this is too valuable to be returned, and it's a one in a lifetime event for that guy.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Tue, Apr 20 2010 7:29 AM

I was thinking about this yesterday, and decided that maybe they took it apart before contacting Apple just to make sure they weren't being punk'd by some modder. The phone was already locked out when they got it, after all.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545
digitaldd replied on Tue, Apr 20 2010 8:56 AM

animatortom:

Thats what happens when you are an Appleholic!

Hmmm..Looks alot like the HTC EVO!

Nah its more like an iPhone brought to you by Samsung.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Tue, Apr 20 2010 10:35 AM

Did you read the article? :P Given that Gizmodo has now been asked to return it (and did so), I think it's very clear this wasn't a stunt. A one-in-a-million, get-lucky chance, yes. Stunt, no.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 1,710
moethelawn replied on Tue, Apr 20 2010 12:33 PM

Yes, I did read the article. Did you? :P  I would personally be PO'd if I lost my phone and someone took it apart before they gave it back.  I'm pretty sure under normal circumstances that Apple would be upset that someone took apart their prototype phone whether or not it's locked and took pictures of it. (normally Apple would claim that as their copyright/trade secret)  Let Apple decide if it was real or not, not you even if you have the urge to see what's under the hood.  It's not yours :P  I still think it's a stunt as they can still play it off as if they lost it.  That's just my opinion.  In any case, it's a sweet new iPhone

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

'How Apple Lost The Next iPhone' - some really good reading HERE!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545
digitaldd replied on Wed, Apr 21 2010 10:09 AM

Sounds to me like its more like Apple doing market research on their prototype phone before making the final changes before it goes to manufacturing. They don't do focus groups but this is even better and costs way less money too. Can anyone believe that a company that keeps its secrets so closely guarded would ever let anything like this happen?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Apr 21 2010 3:21 PM

Joel H:

Did you read the article? :P Given that Gizmodo has now been asked to return it (and did so), I think it's very clear this wasn't a stunt. A one-in-a-million, get-lucky chance, yes. Stunt, no.

Silly me, I just read about that. Well considering that they returned it to Apple, it does give credence that this is the new iPhone, everything that we ever wanted and more.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Apr 21 2010 3:32 PM

moethelawn:

Yes, I did read the article. Did you? :P  I would personally be PO'd if I lost my phone and someone took it apart before they gave it back.  I'm pretty sure under normal circumstances that Apple would be upset that someone took apart their prototype phone whether or not it's locked and took pictures of it. (normally Apple would claim that as their copyright/trade secret)  Let Apple decide if it was real or not, not you even if you have the urge to see what's under the hood.  It's not yours :P  I still think it's a stunt as they can still play it off as if they lost it.  That's just my opinion.  In any case, it's a sweet new iPhone

You're forgetting one thing, if this was a stunt then why Gizmodo?, the guy could of given it to Engadget or gdgt or some other gadget website that would be honored to have the prototype iPhone. Better yet, why didn't he sell the device? The only way this could be a stunt is if the guy was hired by Apple himself and given specific instructions to give the prototype iPhone to Gizmodo.

Seriously, nobody knows what they're going to do. A stunt is something that's planned way in advice, this guy just found the iPhone lying around and for whatever reason, decides to give it to Gizmodo, what would of happened if he sold it. The only reason why Apple is airtight about those secrets is because they're afraid that someone might reverse-engineer it or pass it off as their own product. What would happen if the competition got a hold of a prototype Apple product, then the competition would have an edge over Apple because they have the prototype product way in advance and they could reverse-engineer the prototype.

I don't think this is a stunt in anyway, Gizmodo took it apart before Apple contacted them, not the other way around. If it was a stunt then the guy who found the iPhone and Gizmodo would be heavily payed for promoting the new iPhone. Hey, maybe we should start leaving prototype products out in the open as stunts, then maybe, anticipation for the product will rise, but not if somebody decides to sell it first!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

lol are people really believing this to be a "stunt"?

Of all companies, why would Apple secretly leak their NEW phone??? 

Apple has been known for being VERY secretive about their "to-be" released products. Also commonly compared to the FBI, they make sure nothing is ever leaked. However, an event such of this was bound to happen. 

Besides, there are better ways to advertise their new iphone. Why not simply send out review units to tech sites such as Gizmodo??? Wouldn't that have been more economically not to mention it would bring a lot more attention to the phone.

Anyways, I also heard that Apple might take legal action if the phone is not returned. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,245
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 10:06 AM

So the errant iPhone is back in the Apple fold now, it seems. I hope that the guy who misplaced it dosen't get canned. (or caned)

I wonder what would have happened if the guy who found it had taken it to hackers and did a 'Jail-Break' on the phone instead of selling it to Gizmodo. It would have been the first time it was done BEFORE the noted iPhone was even released! That would have been an even bigger story than this turned out to be.Big Smile

Now THAT would have been a PR nightmare for the folks at Apple indeed. (they probably would have sent out assassins in the night to murder him) Super Angry

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

You just gotta love those guys from XFX. Check this out:

Dear XFX Customers,

In light of recent events, we have come to suspect that one of our 5970 Black Edition Limited cards may have been compromised. In our current inventory check of this limited run of 1,000 individually serialized pieces, #68 has been unaccounted for. Due to evidence of a security breach in our facility, we believe it to have been illegally obtained as the product has yet been released per the embargo date. Please be aware that the person responsible will be subject to persecution by law. If any news can be provided to lead us to the apprehension of the suspect, or you can provide us with any information, please report it to security@xfxforce.com. Please do not attempt to buy, trade, or barter for this unit. We thank you for your cooperation and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely, 
XFX

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS