Dell's Streak Tablets Leaked to the Web

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,678
Points 1,155,755
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 19 2010 12:19 PM
Feeling the itch for a handheld tablet but have no interest in Apple's Flash-less iPad? No worries, because several manufactures are stepping up to the plate with tablets of their own, including Dell. Speaking of which, some leaked pics of the OEM's upcoming slate lineup have landed on the Web.

Along with the pics, internal documents acquired by Engadget suggest Dell plans to call its tablet family "Streak." There are two versions being shown off, one with a 10-inch screen and a somewhat smaller version sporting a 7-inch display. Looking at the spy shots, both models appear to come with a sizable bezel.

Leaked photo of Dell's upcoming "Streak" tablet obtained by Engadget

Details are pretty slim so far, though Dell did offer ups this canned statement:

"Dell continually develops and tests new products that extend the mobile experience. We have not made any product announcements and do not comment on speculation, rumor, or unannounced products."

Gee, thanks. Nevertheless, expect the 7-inch Streak to launch sometime in late 2010, followed by the 10-inch model in early 2011.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 12:24 PM

Streak... supports Flash.... diffent sized models... mind going into joke-overload. What was Dell thinking?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 12:40 PM

I don't know, what should they be thinking? Seems like most of the other stuff that was announced and will be pumped out like crazy in the later part of this year.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 12:58 PM

Yeah RyuGTX I agree. I think the one thing all oem's seem to be setup to miss on this is the summer market. School will be out in a relatively short amount of time now. Which is a market point that should not be ignored specifically on these type of devices.

That is because when it gains the attention of the children, Tweens, Teens, and young adults it gains notice from the rest of the market. I think this has largely been one of Apples major positives. There products across all platforms are released in the Spring early summer time. This is different from the rest of the market providers who seem to do the same in the late summer early to late fall.

The thing I think the market misses here is the earlier the products specifically with this type of appeal (IE: iPhone, iPad, iPod etc), then builds until Christmas. All the while it gains market, then by the time Christmas gets here a very large percentage of all of the above want one, and the adults to.

So I would say the faster all the other market players can get these out the better. This would be better for them financially as well as for the PC side of the market Vs. Apple. There is another thing Apple gains with this. That is as mentioned the markets recognition!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 1:17 PM

>> I don't know, what should they be thinking?

That maybe they should pick a name not commonly used to describe someone running naked in public?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 2:02 PM

3vi1:

>> I don't know, what should they be thinking?

That maybe they should pick a name not commonly used to describe someone running naked in public?

I thought of the name as a streak of good luck. They are probably going to need a lot of it to get this slate going and to keep sales up in a crowded market.

Any names come to mind 3vi1? Dell should have enough time to change the name as the release date is pretty far off.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

I just got an idea for an advertisement for this product...and yes it involves a nude woman running across an Apple store. Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 2:17 PM

>> Any names come to mind 3vi1?

iCan'tBelieveIt'sNotAniPad?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 4:18 PM

An important point to add is that by the time Christmas rolls around they have an updated version ready for release a month later.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I love that picture of the student with the backpack, he has that devilish look like he is about to Streak!

It is going to be interesting to see all the competition throughout the summer. I really get a feeling that these things will almost surely replace the whole netbook market. If they start to do the tablets right with larger screens, then that could be the next phase of notebooks as well.

My one concern about this Dell outing, is that big Dell logo on the screen! No matter how proud you might be that it is not an IPad, it would get annoying to stare at that in bright white all the time. If they could have at least made it a muted silver or brushed etching, then that would be good!

I do like the multiple sizes, that way people have their choice, I hope that they offer many more. Imagine a 17" tablet:) At least if you choose the smaller one and if it is cheap enough you can use it for something like the Home Theatre remote.

It is going to get interesting to see all of our choices, and hopefully we will start to have more AMD outings as well. A 6core in one of these would be awesome. Coupled with a good GPU, that way we can play the next gen games on the go.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 6:08 PM

>> the student with the backpack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Curtis_%28actor%29

• Filed under: ,
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Hope is is not as tweeked out as the Shamwow guy!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

dude your getting a dell

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 6:19 PM

>> Hope is is not as tweeked out as the Shamwow guy!

Heheh... no. The Dell Dude ads stopped because Ben was getting too mellow. :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,761
Points 40,455
Inspector replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 6:38 PM

"Dell continually develops and tests new products that extend the mobile experience. We have not made any product announcements and do not comment on speculation, rumor, or unannounced products."

By this statement he just admitted it is true :D.

Tablets bet netbooks in my book by a whole lot... :P

HEHE Der Meister :).

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

>> Hope is is not as tweeked out as the Shamwow guy!

Heheh... no. The Dell Dude ads stopped because Ben was getting too mellow. :)

I guess he didn't listen to...... BILLY MAYS here!!

And discovered the power of whats inside of the amazing OXY Clean!  Indifferent
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,461
Points 46,925
ForumsAdministrator

gibbersome:

I just got an idea for an advertisement for this product...and yes it involves a nude woman running across an Apple store. Smile

A GREAT idea, but only if she is well-endowed! 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,901
Points 24,515
digitaldd replied on Tue, Apr 20 2010 8:53 AM

I heard there was also going to be a 5inch version of this. I think 5-6inches is probably the ultimate sweet sport for portability vs functionality. I mean 1 10 inch is too close to netbook size and weight. 7inch might not be that much smaller but 5-6inches would definitely be the ultimate size as its still personal and not annoying if someone is using one in the seat next to you on a crowded bus or train, like an iPad is or the larger Kindle DX FWIW., yet 5-6inch is very portable. Gotta keep in under 10oz though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,556
Points 103,035
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 11:28 AM

Super Dave:
but only if she is well-endowed! 

But no wide screen models allowed!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Super Dave:
but only if she is well-endowed! 

But no wide screen models allowed!

These are meant to replace all endowed around. 

These are aimed at the Geek's, that is why they are called... Hand Held!

Kinda like My buddy, he has a Palm Pilot.. and no GF :P
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX