AT&T to Employees: No June Vacation for You!

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,407
Points 1,192,845
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 19 2010 11:50 AM
June is right around the corner, and for some of us (we're looking at you, mid-westerners), the consistently sunny days can't come fast enough. AT&T workers, however, can't wait to put June in their rear view mirror.

That's according to the popular mobile weblog Boy Genius Report, who has apparently "confirmed with multiple AT&T sources that the carrier has now put a block on employees taking vacations in June." Say what?

Donning our detective caps, the most likely reason for this is that Apple will soon launch a new model iPhone in late June or early July. After all, this isn't the first time AT&T has issued a vacation ban preceding an iPhone launch. The company did the same thing in 2007 leading up to the first iPhone debut, and then again in June 2008 right before the release of the iPhone 3G. And then there's the upcoming iPhone 4 OS, which Steve Jobs said would ship this summer.

Any AT&T workers reading this able to confirm or deny the report? Are you excited about another iPhone launch? Post your thoughts below.
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 11:55 AM

You would think they have enough employees on hand to cover the iPhone deluge. Are AT&T's human resources stretched so thing?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 12:06 PM

Actually, I've heard that AT&T workers *are* allowed to take vacation - but that they have to take their vacation in front of an Apple store if they want to be paid.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 190
NoobfromNS replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 12:17 PM

I've worked for compnaies that did this before. Its not that human resources is too thin. Just that they need everybody for the one increase in business, and it isn't worth hiring a bunch of extra staff cuase they'd just have to let them go when things returned to normal a month later.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 12:28 PM

True. Earlier in my IT career, I experienced multiple year-end closes where the company bought back my unused vacation time so that they could get things completed on schedule.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 12:51 PM

Who is really calling the shots here AT&T or Apple? Well who knows if there really is a pent up demand AT&T might need all hands on deck. I cannot remember the other I-Phone launches but from what I do remember I cannot recall a Black Friday door buster with people being trampled, and shoved.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 1:08 PM

You must not have been watching very close la_guy. From what I remember while it was not trampled and shoved, it was the front of all Apple locations being camped for a few days prior. If I remember correctly the first release as well as following year saw the inventory being completely taken, and everyone else being put on a list for the iPhone's availability.

While with the 3GS release they seemed to have it more in hand with device availability. Then when they release the iPad here recently the same thing happened, and the rest of the world outside of the US was in general put on hold. So where this may be smart or crazy either way I think it is better.

This is true especially considering other things. The Google phones as well as Windows phones (V7) are either now or going to be on the market to in the same relative time. Both of these devices are also taking market share (considerably on the Google side) from Apple, not to mention Symbian who still has the highest market percentage on smart phone devices.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 3:40 PM

Yea I remember the initial release there was a excitement but the point here I was trying to make is obviously they know something I don't cause to make all hands on deck for the month of June seems a bit much to me for a launch or whatever. Again maybe they are expecting large crowds for a new release. As far as the trampling I was referring to Wal-Mart incident up in Michigan where someone was trampled.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 5:23 PM

Speaking of the new iPhone, has everyone seen it? (http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Sucks to work for AT&T

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

3vi1:

Speaking of the new iPhone, has everyone seen it? (http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone)

LOL -  " It was found lost in a bar in Redwood City." Big Smile That's one Apple employee that returned to work with a very serious hangover. I wonder what the repercussions were!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 6:42 PM

HAHA lucky guy that found it -.-

I saw how it looked like a few days ago in engadget. I actually liked the look of hte 3G one better because i just do :P. Also If a new iphone comes out every year then they would alwasy have their vacations taken of the calendar... :( Sucks too work for them and be the employees.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

AWW Argentina is crying for them!

At least they all have IPhones so they can tweet their spouses when they go to the beach without them.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 6:38 AM

Happens sometimes in certain businesses. We've had periods where I work where they request that no one take a vacation due to the expected schedule. In this economy at least they have jobs!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS