Windows 7 Genuine Issue

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 1,825
UnlikelyAura Posted: Wed, Apr 14 2010 9:51 PM

Hey guys. It's been awhile haha. But, anyway, I have a question.

I'm having the issue that my current windows 7 ult. key isn't genuine.  Well, I know that I can obtain the windows 7 prof. and ult. upgrade keys from school at a good price.  If I were to buy a new upgrade license, could I just enter in the new key in my current OS? I mean.. that's what microsoft wants me to do.. enter a new, valid key. Because I don't really feel like going through and paying more than $150 for a new key.. or paying for an upgrade if everytime I want to reinstall windows, I have to install xp first.. then plop in the upgrade disc.. : /

What's your guys' views on this?

Thanks! Have a good one.

I don't feel like coming up with a kewl signature right now >.<
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,772
Points 40,510
Inspector replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 10:53 PM

Im not sure if the upgrade will work, you should of never gotten a non genuine one installed in the first place :(. But the upgrade disk is annoying like you said :D i have the prof. upgrade one -.-. i would say get a full copy :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 11:10 PM

UnlikelyAura:
I know that I can obtain the windows 7 prof. and ult. upgrade keys from school at a good price.  If I were to buy a new upgrade license, could I just enter in the new key in my current OS?

I have no doubt that a genuine Win7 Ultimate key (full version) will work for you, but an upgrade key I'm not sure of. Do any of your classes at school make you eligible for a FREE Windows OS? 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 11:45 PM

There are ways to do a clean install of Windows 7 with an upgrade disc. You can give those a shot if you want.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 1,825

Elaborate, please. lol I'm interested.

I don't feel like coming up with a kewl signature right now >.<
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Thu, Apr 15 2010 12:25 AM

Are you looking to do a clean install or SAVE your un-genuine install?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Thu, Apr 15 2010 4:43 PM

UnlikelyAura:

Elaborate, please. lol I'm interested.

I just Google searched it and came up with these two sites (among many).

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2010 9:59 PM

Since it's possible to even do a full install with just an upgrade disk (see previous links), I feel pretty confident that you could just use the upgrade key.  Worse case, you have to re-install clean (but not have to pre-install XP).  If it were me, I'd want to install clean anyway, because tons of "hacked" software you find through BitTorrent and other channels will have trojans/spyware attached.

Next time you want a good OS (and all the apps!) for free, you might want to have a look at Linux or another legal alternative.

Good Luck!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Apr 16 2010 3:07 AM

3vi1:

Since it's possible to even do a full install with just an upgrade disk (see previous links), I feel pretty confident that you could just use the upgrade key.  Worse case, you have to re-install clean (but not have to pre-install XP).  If it were me, I'd want to install clean anyway, because tons of "hacked" software you find through BitTorrent and other channels will have trojans/spyware attached.

Next time you want a good OS (and all the apps!) for free, you might want to have a look at Linux or another legal alternative.

Good Luck!

You can try just using the upgrade key. But try is the keyword. I only know of this working for Windows Vista because my friend did it. But this worked because there was some sort of loop hole or workaround. Microsoft did not intend for that to happen. I'm sure they won't make that mistake for Windows 7.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS