Asus Adds SATA 6G And USB 3.0 Support On New RoG Motherboards

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,185
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Apr 14 2010 4:15 PM
Asus promised that they were going to make USB 3.0 a priority going forward, and sure enough, that protocol is supported in the latest range of motherboards. The latest series is yet another in the Republic of Gamers line, offering up extreme overclocking abilities, sweet designs and support for the latest chips and technologies.

The Rampage III Extreme and Maximus III Extreme are being launched today, the former of which is X58-based and the latter of which is P55-based. They're available starting today for $399 and $349, respectively, and there's full support for SATA 6G and USB 3.0 on both. Looks like an upgrade might be in your future!

ASUS Launches the Rampage III Extreme and Maximus III Extreme Motherboards

-- The latest Republic of Gamers extreme series of motherboards are garnering
praise in the gaming and overclocking communities with world class
performance, features and stability. --

Fremont, CA (April 14th, 2010) - ASUS, the leading provider of high performance motherboards, launches the highly anticipated Republic of Gamers (ROG) Rampage III Extreme and Maximus III Extreme motherboards in North America today. Featuring class leading designs and innovative features, the ROG Rampage III Extreme and Maximus III Extreme set a new standard for world class enthusiast motherboards. Rigorously tested and approved by leading enthusiasts, the Extreme series is engineered from the ground up for exceptional performance, stability, overclocking prowess, and most of all, reliability under extreme conditions.
Welcome To a New Age of Board Design
Computer enthusiasts and gamers alike have been clamoring for new and improved board designs along with expanded feature sets. How did ASUS meet these requests by offering the best balance between gaming and overclocking capabilities in an enthusiast level product?

It is simple; ASUS personnel across the company listened to, discussed with, and then implemented ideas from a variety of users in the gaming, enthusiast, and extreme overclocking communities.  The world record breaking overclocking abilities of each board is attributable to superb hardware and BIOS designs that came about as the ROG team worked closely with key overclockers worldwide to ensure exceptional performance under extreme cooling along with comprehensive feedback on BIOS tuning.

While the new ROG Extreme series offers cutting edge overclocking capabilities it also provides an extremely stable and fast platform for gaming.  It is this special balance between performance and stability that makes the new Rampage III Extreme and Maximus III Extreme boards so unique.

Innovation Design and Features in the Next Generation of ROG Extreme Motherboards
Solid and efficient power management is something every overclocker and enthusiast knows is critical in board design. ASUS’ new Extreme Engine Digi+, included on the Intel X58 based Rampage III Extreme and Intel P55 equipped Maximus III Extreme, allows new levels of control and performance by combining the best in digital and analog PWM designs.

New features help differentiate the ROG Extreme series from other motherboards when it comes to overclocking.  These features include new LN2 mode and Q-Reset options that minimize cold boot problems during extreme overclocking along with dual 8-pin ATX power connectors and dual 4-pin Molex plugs to ensure proper is available to the CPU and Video cards respectively.  In addition, the boards offer the ability to disable or enable the individual PCI Express x16 lanes so users can optimize the location of their video cards if custom cooling solutions are utilized or for debugging various setups.

ASUS implemented a new USB based BIOS flashing system that does not require a CPU, Memory or Video Card to update the BIOS.  All the user needs is a working power supply to quickly update either onboard BIOS chip.  The new ROG Connect software offers class leading overclocking and monitoring tools that can be controlled with a smart phone or a separate computer via quick connect technology to ensure the best possible overclocking experience.

The Rampage III Extreme and Maximus III Extreme also incorporate the latest in I/O technologies with full support for true SATA 6G and USB 3 to ensure the highest levels of performance for internal and external storage devices. The Rampage III Extreme introduces a class leading Intel based Gigabit network controller to ensure the user’s online experience is exceptional whether they are playing the latest game or viewing HD media content.

The Rampage III Extreme and Maximus III Extreme are available now at authorized ASUS retailers for an MSRP of $399 and $349 respectively.

For more information on the new Extreme Series, please log on to http://rog.asus.com .
Specifications and Features are subject to change without notice.

About ASUS
ASUS is a leading company in the new digital era, with an extensive product portfolio that includes notebooks, netbooks, motherboards, graphics cards, displays, optical drives, desktop PCs, servers, wireless solutions, mobile phones and networking devices. Driven by innovation and committed to quality, ASUS designs and manufactures products that perfectly meet the needs of today's digital home, office and person. ASUS won 3,268 awards in 2009, and is widely credited with revolutionizing the PC industry with the Eee PC™. With a global staff of more than ten thousand and a world-class R&D design team, the company's revenue for 2008 was 8.1 billion U.S. dollars. ASUS ranks among BusinessWeek's InfoTech 100, and has been on the listing for 12 consecutive years.
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 4:55 PM

Awesome! Asus is the best.

"Looks like an upgrade might be in your future!"

Now are you paying for me? :D im broke :( lol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 4:55 PM

I'm curious as to how you flash the bios without any sort of video output.

Or memory, or CPU. That's a pretty tall order but I can definitely see the value for applications like when you forget to update your bios before you install a new line of CPUs, or in case something fails and you an update might fix it.

Oh, impressive boards by the way.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 5:12 PM

LOL

An LN2 mode. Like I will ever being using that mode.

Just in case anyone missed my other post. Here is a link the the specs of these two motherboards (along with all the other ROG motherboards).

http://promos.asus.com/ASUSROG/Spec/MB_spec.html

Interesting how they list the P55 ROG motherboard as having more PCI-e lanes than the X58 version.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 6:08 PM

RyuGTX, maybe the p55 has more lanes since it has 5 pci express slots on it vs the 4 on the x58 board. The p55 can only do dual card or triple card configs, where as the x58 can do what the p55 can do plus a quad card config.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 6:59 PM

Drago:

RyuGTX, maybe the p55 has more lanes since it has 5 pci express slots on it vs the 4 on the x58 board. The p55 can only do dual card or triple card configs, where as the x58 can do what the p55 can do plus a quad card config.

I know the P55 version has more slots. Just wondering why Asus went that route as the X58 is the supposed to be the higher-end chipset. By the way, if you looked at the link I posted, it shows the spec sheets between the two boards. (Linking again)

Here is a copy of the specs of the two boards in regards to the expansion slots:

Rampage III Extreme (X58)

4 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16; x16/x16; x16/x8/x8 and x8/x8/x8/x8)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x4
1 x PCI 2.2

Maximus III Extreme (P55)

5 x PCIe 2.0 x16 Supports single at x16, dual at x16, triple at x 16 x16 x8, quad x8, or 5 x8
1 x PCI 2.2

Now both can do quad card configurations. Sounds like the Maximus III Extreme can do a 5 card config. So does that mean that an Nvidia chipset was added to the P55 board to get more lanes? If so, I wished they did that to the X58 as well.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 7:56 PM

Again the price is a steep but this is a premium motherboard that is sure to yield good results with the right processor. You cannot go wrong with either board here, just go with what your budget will allow. Glad to see USB 3.0 gain support so quickly. If you are a hardcore gamer this is the board for you 16 X 16 X16 for X58 or 16 x 16 P55 ensures maximum throughput!!!!!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 11:16 PM

la_guy_10:

Again the price is a steep but this is a premium motherboard that is sure to yield good results with the right processor. You cannot go wrong with either board here, just go with what your budget will allow. Glad to see USB 3.0 gain support so quickly. If you are a hardcore gamer this is the board for you 16 X 16 X16 for X58 or 16 x 16 P55 ensures maximum throughput!!!!!!

If you read my above post and assuming there are no typos on the Asus spec page, the X58 board will not support triple x16. The P55 has more lanes between these two boards.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2010 12:01 AM

@ RyuGTX after further looking into this matter you are indeed correct when using 4 cards its a X8 X8 X8 X8 or a two card set up in the red slots yields a X16 X16. I stand corrected. I thought maybe the new boards would allow full throughput,.still a not notch performer either way you slice it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

impressive the p55 is better than the x58. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

"ASUS personnel across the company listened to, discussed with, and then implemented ideas from a variety of users in the gaming, enthusiast, and extreme overclocking communities."

Wow, It is really great to hear that a hardware manufacturer is actually doing this! It was kinda sad when you found out throughout the nineties, that most corporations were paying other companies to do all their market research for them. With outsourced support and of site peer group studies back then, I would have been surprised if anyone actually understood the wants and needs of their customers. It really invokes that good American know-how! Even if it is a company in Taiwan, they must have gotten that training as part of the export deals :( It does seems like their credibility has been rising since they restructured back in 07', Which I believe was around the same time that Jack came back to the Box :) JK

The Bios flash thing makes perfect sense to me, I always wondered when they were going to allow something like that. If all the circuitry is on the board, why would they need to route the power through the components, just put a default circuit next to the component. That will make rebuilding a system with a new board so much easier. Just take all your components, config. flash, build and start em up :)

I am very interested to see any reviews on the Lane change side of the boards! It says we can enable and disable, which I am sure is the same as most Bios, excluding stability issues. But since most of us who basically build our home workstations around Gaming components, a feature like that would be absolutely a solid selling point. If we had the ability to change upon startup, from either a FirePro to something like a Radeon 5870, that would expand usability of our home computer. Then we wouldn't have to have two separate ones, for work and gaming. (just FYI you cannot crossfire a HD5780 with an V8800) It would also benefit Gaming studios, that consider it an upcoming must to be able to get work done then test a DX11 game on the same system. Although the top FirePro's do DX11, the coding engine is designed for Game cards and systems. I haven't been in a game studio for a few years now, but I do keep myself up to date on software and hardware for DCC :) I read everything on 3D I can get, like 3dWorld. Of course there is no competing with Cinefex.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

A very nice mobo, the x58 one is. I would almost trade my evga for it. But I am going to wc the entire thing this weekend so O'well

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55

this looks really awesome. It may be time to trade in my classified.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Apr 16 2010 2:25 AM

snowballak:

this looks really awesome. It may be time to trade in my classified.

Why would you trade in your EVGA classified motherboard? If you already invested in the EVGA one, then I don't think there is a need to invest in this one. I think you should keep your current motherboard unless there is something you are really unsatisfied with. It is a lot of money to be throwing around just for a motherboard when you could be adding something like another video card or a very nice IPS monitor. Just my opinion.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Fri, Apr 16 2010 5:40 PM

Agreed, typically motherboards are within a stones throw of eachother in terms of performance, it'd be smarter to wait for Sandy Bridge in a few months and grab a new mobo then.

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 740

yea theres really no need to get it so soon just for USB 3

even though its faster, its not worth the price yet (for me that is)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Sat, Apr 17 2010 2:19 AM

sp12:

Agreed, typically motherboards are within a stones throw of eachother in terms of performance, it'd be smarter to wait for Sandy Bridge in a few months and grab a new mobo then.

Few months? Isn't Sandy Bridge coming out in end of the year? That is somewhat of a long wait.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,890
sp12 replied on Sat, Apr 17 2010 3:55 PM

~8 Months, I don't think it's that long of a wait.

The big thing is that Sandy Bridge would run with a Tylersburg refresh chipset. Current mobos dont' have much more longevity, whereas an X68 chipset should carry all the way through Ivy bridge.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Apr 19 2010 2:06 PM

sp12:

~8 Months, I don't think it's that long of a wait.

The big thing is that Sandy Bridge would run with a Tylersburg refresh chipset. Current mobos dont' have much more longevity, whereas an X68 chipset should carry all the way through Ivy bridge.

I guess I can wait. I don't know of any games that will be coming out in 8 months that I must play. Even if there are, I just make do and play on super low settings. Or maybe I'll just buy a PS3.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS