G-Technology Intros G-SPEED Q and the G-SPEED FC XL Storage Solutions

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 12 2010 5:58 PM
The news just keeps flowing from NAB 2010. G-Technology, who has sincebeen teamed with Hitachi in the storage realm, just announced newdrives today aimed at professionals in the content creation industry,but if we know you, we're guessing you have just as big a need forarchiving as the folks who do this stuff for a living.

At the expo, G-Tech is showcasing two new additions to the G-SPEEDfamily: the G-SPEED Q and the G-SPEED FC XL 8Gb/s Fibre Channelsolution. It's clear that both of these are fairly high-brow products,marketed to give content creators, broadcasters and filmmakers "morereliable, high performance storage options to get the job doneeffectively, efficiently and reliably."

The new G-SPEED Q is a four-bay drive with a bunch of ports: eSATA,FireWire 800, FireWire 400 (via adapter cable) and USB 2.0. It'smissing USB 3.0, which is a bit of a let down, but the other high-speedoptions help to ease the pain. It's sold with as much as 8TB ofinternal storage, and can easily hit speeds in excess of 200MB/secusing eSATA. It also supports SD and HD Final Cut Pro and AdobePremiere compressed workflows, and there's also a built-in RAIDcontroller. Formatted for Macs, the compact and whisper quiet G-SPEED Qfeatures four hot-swappable Hitachi 7200 RPM 3Gbit SATA hard drives,and can be configured in RAID 0 or 5. It will be available in Junethroughout G-Tech’s network of resellers, with prices set at $899 for4TB and $1,499 for 8TB.

The G-SPEED FC XL 8Gb is definitely more high-end, joining thecompany's current line of professional 12- and 16-bay rack mountsolutions. It's billed as a simple way to deploy a fail-safe SAN or addadditional high performance RAID storage to existing XSan2 / metaSANnetworks, and performance of up to 700MB/sec is within reach. TheG-SPEED FC XL 8Gb features the next generation Intel RAID processorwith support for RAID levels 0, 1, 3, 5, 6 and JBOD. and it's availablein both 2U and 3U form factors. It'll ship this May with a startingprice of $8999 for a 12TB unit.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Holy Breadcrumbs Batman, it will cost you a whole loaf for those batcaves!

For that much money, on a raid system I don't understand why they don't build in multi-processing so they can also be used in a dedicated render farm!

Since you still need to get a separate server computer. It would probably be more economical to get some cheap quad cores or even the low end I7's and pack them with 2TB drives sequenced in a RAID system.

This is only speaking along the lines of , if you are using this for HD rendering in either CGI, or HD video. I guess they would be good for editing as a couple different stand alones. If you are saving 2560x2048 images and editing, then it would be good. But the same image size in a render queue would probably be slow without specific processor to control the images.

I don't know for 9K, I would want it to operate as a dedicated farm for 3D :P

Although I am sure it would rock for FCP or Premiere.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance