Four Foxconn Workers Attempt Suicide In A Month: Are Low-Cost Gadgets The Reason?

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,797
Points 1,163,455
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 9 2010 4:32 AM
So, it turns out those reports last October about Foxconn making the new Apple tablet (renamed iPad) were probably true. But it also seems that some of those folks who couldn't quite keep a lid on Apple's secrets may be in very bad positions over in China. A report stemming from the country and coming just days after Apple announced that it had sold 300,000 of their tablets on the first day in America has shocked the collective tech world, and not in a positive way.

Foxconn's Longhua plant is veiled in secrecy. It's said that around 300,000 workers both live and work at the plant, which makes consumer electronics for Apple, Dell, HP, Nokia and tons of other companies that brand the goods you buy and enjoy each day. It's a strange situation; the company keeps a curtain around their methods in order to keep others in the dark, yet no one really asks questions so long as the quality of product is high and we keep getting them cheap. It's a Catch 22, of sorts.

But now, reports from the Chinese media have found that four workers have attempted suicide in the last month alone. Some say they were and are under great amounts of pressure, and when you consider the demands that are likely being placed on them to produce goods that are in high demand elsewhere in the world, you can probably start to share in the pain.

Electronics Manufacturing Assembly Line - China

Of course, no actual explanation has been given yet, and it's not likely that the truth of the matter will ever be revealed. Reporters who have tried to gain access into the Foxconn plant have been assaulted, leading us to think that something may not be quite right just inside those locked doors. We know 300,000 is a large population, but what other employer of any size have you heard of having four suicide attempts in a month?  Something doesn't smell right...
  • | Post Points: 200
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 7:38 AM

That's sad when workers attempt suicide, they have all that product to fill yet the pressure on them... Really makes it hard, but still...

I'm wondering if the iPhone girl is feeling the same thing as well?

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Catch 22, Yeah but for who.

We all know China is still communist, and we all know what Communism does to its people!
OK,  Well maybe not the youth of today :P

That's the real Question. 300K workers making products that come here. That we buy, so that money can go over there, which we then have to borrow back at higher rates?
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:05 AM

It's less concerning once you realize that 'attempted suicide' in China is when you ask the foreman for a 15 minute break during your 11hr shift.

Maybe not.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• Filed under:
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

animatortom:

Catch 22, Yeah but for who.

We all know China is still communist, and we all know what Communism does to its people!
OK,  Well maybe not the youth of today :P

If I remember correctly, they are still technically communist, but my Asian friend from school who hails from China says that they are basically undercover totalitarians. Who knows. 

I bet that these iPads are really difficult to manufacture, considering their fragile yet tough design to make. The workers that are assigned to the Apple making district probably have a lot of pressure because they can't meet the demands of the consumers. Apple is probably knocking on their door needing more iPads and they are just now coming off of the production line. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 3:09 PM

There was negative news years ago about the Apple iPod with claims of low wages and bad working conditions.

http://www.truthout.org/article/ipods-children

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,772
Points 40,510

I did not under stand that 3vi1. :D

Well they should look for manufactures that pay their workers fairly if they want them to work happy and faster :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 5:03 PM

I'm sure Apple has a good amount of influence over Foxconn. I would think it would be a pretty big hit to revenues if Apple took their business else where. So in a way, I guess it is up to Apple if they want to investigate or something. Because it can hurt Apple and its image. Not sure by what magnitude though.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

News:
Other reporters who have tried to get into the Foxconn plant have ben assaulted, leading us to think that something may not be quite right or just inside the locked doors.

It's a freaking modern-day slave-labor camp. Are you enjoying your Foxconn/Apple products?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,772
Points 40,510
Inspector replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 10:26 PM

um... i feel bad for those workers but i got to say i am enjoying my iphone Sad. How come no one is taking some actions against this? Its like one of those Germany concentration camps back then :O. Those workers get to leave right?...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Yes inspector, just like those camps, the workers do get to leave!

They wont take action, that is the whole point of cheap outsourced labour. It is only about getting the work done and nothing about the workers of the world:)

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Damn that's really messed up. They probably "keep a curtain around their methods" because these "methods" aren't exactly humane. Something reminiscent of a sweat shop for example.  

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sat, Apr 10 2010 12:05 PM

...pending.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Sat, Apr 10 2010 1:45 PM

eunoia:

Let's look at this another way:

WHO reports the Chinese suicide rate at 13-14.8 per year per 100,000:

http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suiciderates/en/

So Longhua with 300,000 workers should average 39-44.4 suicides/year or up to 3.7 actual suicides per month.  Only four attempts in a month seems ridiculously low.

Other sources put China's suicide rate at 287,000 per year:

http://english.people.com.cn/200211/28/eng20021128_107637.shtml

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-09/11/content_6095710.htm

Which works out to 23 per 100,000 which works out even higher at 5.75 per month at Longhua.  Again, actual suicides, not attempts.  Hard to believe that Longhua workers are that much happier and relaxed than the general population, especially considering the average age of workers should skew towards even higher suicide rates.

They may not be happier. Can't really measure happiness well based on suicide rates. They could be working to support themselves and their family (sending a portion of their earnings back to their family). This is a pretty common situation. Therefore, suicide would make the situation worse.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sat, Apr 10 2010 3:34 PM

...pending.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,538
Points 54,420
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Apr 11 2010 9:53 AM

The problem, as I see it, with just looking at the statistics approach, eunoia, is that this population lives under the community and community services of Foxconn presumably, which therefor places more responsibility on Foxconn to overlook the welfare of their community and also more closely couples the welfare of that community to Foxconn's environment.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sun, Apr 11 2010 5:50 PM

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 40
ceetoot replied on Sun, Apr 11 2010 10:52 PM

Wow, that is truly incedible. Who woulda thunk it??

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Eccent replied on Sun, Apr 11 2010 11:32 PM

1) As you pointed out, Apple isn't the only company that uses Foxconn: Dell, HP, Sony, Cisco, Amazon, Motorola, and more use them. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn

2) However, Apple is the only company that has done working conditions audits of Foxconn.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Mon, Apr 12 2010 12:06 AM

Employment practices

In June 2006, allegations of Foxconn operating abusive employment practices came to light as reported by Mail that were later denied by Foxconn.[6][7] Apple launched an investigation into such claims.[8] The result was that the claims of mistreatment of employees were judged by the Apple inspection team to be largely unfounded, but the inspection team also discovered that at peak production times some of the employees were working more hours than Apple's acceptable "Code of Conduct" limit of 60 hours, and 25% of the time workers did not get at least one day off each week.[9] These same workers complained there was not enough overtime in off peak periods. The auditing team also found that workers had been punished by being made to stand at attention for long periods,[10] and that all junior employees are subjected to military-style drill.[11]

Foxconn admitted it makes workers do an extra 80 hours overtime per month while the local labor law only permits 36 hours[12] Foxconn sued Wang You and Weng Bao of China Business News, the journalists responsible for revealing these practices, for $3.77 million and filed a successful court ruling to have the journalists' assets frozen.[13] Some disagree with the demands and the court ruling.[14] Reporters Without Borders sent a letter to Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs to implore Foxconn to drop the case.[15] Later Foxconn reduced the demand to a symbolic 1 yuan (12 U.S. cents), withdrew the request to freeze the journalists' personal assets, and initiated legal proceedings to sue their employer.

^The above excerpt was ripped from Wikipedia. You can read the entire entry HERE

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Mon, Apr 12 2010 12:16 PM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,872
Points 64,370

Surprised we didn't have this when all of the Xbox 360's in the world were RROD'ing. Almost all parts inside the 360 was made by Foxconn. I've cursed them several times having to bust it open again and try to get it working! :]

Intel E6850 * Patriot 4GB DDR 2 800 * EVGA 8800 Ultra * EVGA 680i Mobo "It's my...err...human nature to always want more!"- Myself Gamer Tags: X-Box 360 - Linus84 | PS3- Linus84 | Wii- 013014813390

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
bt003 replied on Wed, May 26 2010 2:08 PM

This is very sad, but not necessarily related to conditions. Obviously that shouldn't be ruled out, but it shouldn't be assumed either. There have been a number of similar concentrations of suicides, usually out of proportion with any obvious cause. Malcolm Gladwell documents this phenomenon in 'The Tipping Point', and there was another spate in Bridgnorth in South Wales in 2008 - see eg http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3399813.ece.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135
Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS