WD VelociRaptor 600GB: Fastest. HD. Ever.

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,490
Points 1,196,510
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 5 2010 11:44 PM
With all of the press solid state drives have received over the last year or so, it would be easy to think that few advancements have been made in the hard drive space. After all, hard drive capacities have seemingly plateaued at 2TB, performance can't come close to even a mid-range solid state drive in most scenarios, and it's hard to imagine prices falling any lower, when some drives can be had for about 7.5 cents per gigabyte. But Western Digital, despite releasing their very own line of solid state drives recently, continues to push the envelope with traditional spinning hard drives. Need evidence? Then feast your eyes on the brand new WD VelociRaptor 600GB...

WD's VelociRaptor 600GB, Model WD6000HLHX

Like the first-Gen VelociRaptor, the new 600GB variant you see pictured here employs a 2.5" form factor, with a 10K RPM spindle speed. This new offering, however, sports denser platters, more cache, a SATA 6Gb/s interface, and a dual-core processor; all features designed to crank performance up a notch or three. Will the new VelociRaptor hit the same speeds as an SSD? No. But it is the fastest HD we have ever tested. Read on and see for youself...

WD VelociRaptor 600GB: Fastest. HD. Ever.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

These are really looking good!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Tue, Apr 6 2010 11:57 AM

I was wondering when WD would drop the SATA 6 drive, I imagine a pair of these in Raid O would run pretty well. I know they would not be SSD speed, but imagine a decent SSD boot drive and 2 of these in raid for storage etc, then throw one of your old drives on the backside for full backup of the 0+1 array! I would imagine you'd have a fast stable fully backed up PC..........

After reading this whole article the prior assumptions stand. Many of those speeds actually seem to be in the realm of if not even slightly better than some low end SSD's as well. So I would say the SSD/ 2x raptor3/ 1x old 500ish GB backup setup would be nice.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655

Nice! I liked all the graphs :), It shows its great for gaming :P

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180

Looks good against traditional spinning hard drives,,,,,,but with SSD's hitting the market and prices coming in this is a hard sell for me personally. I would have liked to see the Caviar Black 1TB or 2TB thrown into the mix, as if I remember correctly the Caviar Black could almost hang with the 300GB VelociRaptor.  

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

We really like PCMark Vantage's HDD Performance for its real-world application measurement approach to testing.  From simple Windows Vista start-up performance to data streaming from a disk drive in a game engine and video editing with Windows Movie Maker, we feel confident that these tests best illustrate the real performance profile of our SSDs in an end user/consumer PC usage model.

Indeed, I couldn't agree more. I think this gives users the best estimate in terms of performance, instead of just putting numbers up on the benchmark. Speaking of which, the chart that was shown blew me away. It's amazing how effective the HDD is at overall gaming, making the lesser programs look weak in comparison. It makes sense though, since you have a 10,000 RPM drive, so the data transfer will be amazing either way. 

Honestly I thought that the Seagate Barracudas were really good performing HDD's for gaming, but this new VelociRaptor just completely changed my entire perception. 

Talk about a blow-out. The new WD VelociRaptor 600GB drive annihilated the competition in these four tests from the PCMark Vantage suite. None of the other drives came close to touching it.

What I like the most about that, is that Western Digital managed to 1-up themselves by a very, VERY  high degree. The increase in performance in very impressive. 

Once again, the new VelociRaptor 600GB drive significantly outpaces the competition in every test (while the actual margins may look small in some tests, the percentage gains are significant). The older 300GB VelociRaptor comes close to the new drive in a couple of the tests, but there is no contest in the others.

Again, just domination across the board. Haha. Since this test was targeted at video editing and media related material, I wonder how programs like Sony Vegas would fair. I imagine very well. The same thing with Adobe After Effects. These programs have to read a re-read High Definition videos in real time, and then edit them appropriately so the HDD can play them back again. In After Effects, its even more intensive when you add effects like motion blurs, and particles. The read out using this HDD is probably astounding and would probably take a load off of the GPU when composite rendering in real time. 

With that said, the new WD VelociRaptor is still the fastest hard drive money can buy. And it offers much more capacity than a similarly priced SSD, while at the same time being measurably faster than any other single HD thanks to its larger cache, increased areal density, and beefed-up dual-core controller versus the original. 

This is what troubles me. It's obvious that the future is Solid State Drives: No moving parts, very little (if any) heat conduction, reliable, quiet, and will probably never break. 

However, they are still very new, and are only available in low storage capacities. 

On the other hand, you have a VelociRaptor, that spins out incredible performance, but will be obsolete in a few years once SSD hits the big time. The only question is, how long will that be? 

It stands though, this HDD is the fastest on the planet....for now. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Apr 6 2010 6:40 PM

Well, maybe once Intel puts out smaller nm chips in their SSDs, that will be it for this drive. Aren't they planning on 25nm by the end of this year? That should help with pricing and capacities.

Even now, I would personally RAID SSDs than get one of these Raptors. For the price, I might now have as much space, but I won't need that much space for my essential programs.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180

I think this will be the last of the VelociRaptor series as SSD's come down in price and grow in size we will hit that inflection point where it is no longer feasible to build a high speed spinning disk as the reasons Maruis Malek pointed out. Again how long will this be....we do not know, but if I was in the market for a hard drive I would go for a SSD and pair it with a Caviar Black 1TB and your set. Again this is dying technology and I am not one to catch a falling knife. Again very impressive what they accomplished with this drive make no mistake, it's just not for me. 

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 625
greyad replied on Wed, Apr 7 2010 5:15 AM

wow i was wondering about these new velociraptor and now they released so fast..they looking good but i just wished the price was more lower

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 40
ceetoot replied on Wed, Apr 7 2010 9:00 AM

Wow, most impressive. Do want!

Lou

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator

I like these drives just for the performance you get,........and I'm still not sold on SSD's either. I read the reviews on them (SSD's) and they sometimes just have too many weird problems.There are a bunch of people out there crying the blues after having bought one of them and run into problems.

They are a new technology still, but they're way too expensive for me.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I am sure they are called Raptors because that is the sound they make when they fail and those discs wobble and spin erratically in the case :P

Although these are practical for gaming. they are best suited for workstations and other business application. That is also why the prices for these have not really come down in price since their introduction.

I have always thought of getting one of these but the price just was not right. it is good that they are at least getting up to the 600GB range. Yet when it comes to price-performance cost effectiveness. I will wait to see how the SSD's develop.

If you need that much performance for games it is still more efficient to have a SSD as your main system drive. While keeping your storage on the cheaper TB drives.

If they could give us the Velociraptors, at roughly the same price and TB size, as their caviar drive. Then I would definitely be all over them. For now, without a need to stockpile outdated tech. I will wait a couple years, when the prices on SSD's come down to what we now see with the current TB drives :)

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Thu, Apr 8 2010 3:36 AM

I don't care much about getting expensive drives for gaming. I'll get a Caviar Black and wait a few more seconds to load a map.

For people that do, there is another option besides SSDs or Raptors. A co-worker of mine put 5 Seagate 7200.12 500GB in RAID 0 and short-stroked them. I don't remember his benchmark numbers but it was crazy fast. So fast that he returned a SSD because he thought the SSD would be faster.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Apr 8 2010 5:06 AM

This is an interesting use of what SATA 6GB/s can do. Not only do we have SSD's with a higher read/write speed, but we also got 2TB 7200RPM drives and finally a new VelociRaptor drive.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

The 600GB model is now available for 279.99 at newegg. IMHO well worth it and I'm actually a bit surprised to see them debut  below MSRP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136555&cm_sp=ProductSpotlight-_-22-136-555-_-04092010

Free shipping FTW!!! :P

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 3:48 PM

$/GB improves a lot going from the 300GB to the 600GB model.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

Dang  im  sure missing a lot  here  this is depressing all this info and I dont have a internet connection but I think I might be back soon! Sure look forward to talking to you guys!!!!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil Geeked [8-|] replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 7:33 PM

amdcrankitup:
 I don't have a internet connection 

Good to see that you're still around and I hope you're 'connected' soon. Cool

No internet would be the Pitts.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

realneil:

amdcrankitup:
 I don't have a internet connection 

Good to see that you're still around and I hope you're 'connected' soon. Cool

No internet would be the Pitts.

Thanks realneil it does suck pretty bad but maybe I,ll be back soon this is my home away from home so unless I fall over dead I,ll be back! Looking forward to hooking back up with all you guys!

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

I still use this drive in my at home rig. I use it for a wide variety of jobs from gaming to photoshop and compiling code. I would not argue that a cheaper cavier drive could still get the job done, however, this drive has been more reliable the some of my cheaper drives. Also, I have an antec 1200 case with 7 fans and it is relatively quiet. I don't notice and noise accept on startup. This disk does make a noise like it is going from 0 to full speed and it was caught unaware that it should be moving, almost like it is doing a quick burnout...I don't know but this concerns me sometimes. After 2~3 years it has had no problems so I will assume that is not a big deal.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70

Man, that Antec 1200 case is a monster.

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

Yea and it is a pain to clean. There are so many fans.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70

I wanted to get one but I don't think it would fit in my desk. Plus that fan on top is a monster. I would be to afraid something would fall into it.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70

Maybe on second thought I will get one of the new ones.

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

I wish I could get a new computer in general but the wife will never let me.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70

I know how that goes...lol

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS