Shortcuts

Windows 7 Runs On Apple's iPad! Thanks To A VNC Client...

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,850
Points 1,171,035
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 4 2010 11:17 AM
Oh my! Could it be? Is it a dream? Is it still April 1st? The videoshown here, just a day after Apple's iPad went on sale to throngs ofconsumers around the U.S., clearly shows a copy of Windows 7 running ona machine that was designed to run only on iPhone OS. Is it a fake?Amazingly it's not, but it's probably not the hack you were hoping for.

What you see here is a VNC client that's connected to a nearby MacBook,which enables the iPad to emulate Windows 7. The good news is that thisrequires little to no hacking expertise in order to get it working, butthe bad news is that it's not a native operating system installation,so it won't work by itself with a MacBook alongside of it.

That said, we're still pretty impressed with the performance here! Lookat Firefox load it--it's pretty quick. Apple's 1GHz A4 CPU holds a lotof promise, and while it seems to be underutilized with the existingversion of iPhone OS, something like this seems a little more "itsstyle." Press the play button to have a look at just how nice Windows 7looks on an iPad, and if you get the chance to actually hack it ontoone, we think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the results.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Apr 4 2010 1:28 PM

While it's nice that it's running on the 1024x768 screen. This is mostly old news as iPhone VNC clients have been invented long before this video appeared.

Still, It does increase the viability for work units as it allows you to run windows apps, but it requires another computer to be set up as a VNC server.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565

Mind as well use the macbook next to it :P lol. But still if you like the ipad feel this could work. Im sure most ipad owners should have a macbook laying around if not get one :P lol

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 4 2010 6:52 PM

As the other's alluded, the title and content is way-misleading: This is not "Windows 7 running on an iPad". This is "Windows 7 running on another computer with the screen being remotely copied to the iPad".  Statements like "which enables the iPad to emulate Windows 7" are just flat out wrong, and talking about application load times (that are actually done on the remote system) is crazy because it has everything to do with the system to which you are connecting and nothing to do with the iPad.

VNC has been the defacto remote desktop access tool in the Un*x world for the last decade - think of it like Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection.  There's no reason this would be a fake - it's an open source app available on all platforms (including the iPhone), so it would make sense that it's already in Apple's app store.

BTW, here's the same thing done with a PSP circa 2005: http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2005/10/control_of_your.html.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

So the Apple iPad had to be connected to an Apple MacBook to run the more desirable Microsoft Windows 7 OS? What a concept! Is that the only way to get the iPad to run Flash Player?Wink

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Super Dave:
Is that the only way to get the iPad to run Flash Player?Wink

I just almost spit my soda all over the place.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

bob_on_the_cob:

Super Dave:
Is that the only way to get the iPad to run Flash Player?Wink

I just almost spit my soda all over the place.

Same, but with water instead of soda. 

The iPad just seems so....oh what's that word. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 1,710

Was it just me or did it say that the copy of Windows was not genuine at the bottom right hand corner of the screen?  I'd lol if it's true

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

OK Bob, was that soda by chance Big Red? they don't have it out here, and I miss it so:(

It costs like 24dollars a case to get it here! I grew up on that stuff, is my nerd version of crack :) I guess kinda like the TAB people :)

Although this is neat and all. By the summer time there are going to be so many Ipad imitations. Everyone will have something similar, and I am sure they will all run Win7. Plus they will be way cheaper with way more features! WAY!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 5 2010 7:52 AM

Not the only way: You could run the flash player by VNCing from the iPad to a MacBook running OSX. :p

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

I like how he said "it's pretty quick", like it was the iPad actually running Firefox. Everything is running on the MacBook, it better be pretty quick.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

animatortom:
OK Bob, was that soda by chance Big Red? they don't have it out here, and I miss it so:(

Cheerwine. Which is delicious stuff.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 490
Xolso replied on Tue, Apr 6 2010 9:58 PM

that's actually pretty cool, now I just need an ipad

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 675

I want lunix on this thing.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Tue, Apr 6 2010 11:41 PM

Get your mac to run Linux and you can get your ipad running Linux :P lol. I don't see a point in this as again i would just rather use the mac book that is doing the work then the ipad :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, Apr 8 2010 9:12 AM

MrBrownSound:

I want lunix on this thing.

Not possible - LUnix is written in 6502/10 assembly and stripped down to only run on Commodore 64/128 hardware.

You could potentially run Linux on it though, now that the iPad has been jail-broken.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

3vi1:

That was fast.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 1,710

Being that the iPad pretty much uses the same kind of OS as the iPhone, I don't think it was that hard :P

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, Apr 8 2010 3:27 PM

Yeah. But seriously, I wouldn't buy an iPad if my main interest was Linux. ARM's received chip orders that indicate there will be about 50 new iPad clones by the end of the year, pretty much all guaranteed to be running some form of Linux as their native OS.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS