iPhone OS 4.0 Features Explose-Like Multitasking

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,407
Points 1,192,950
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 1 2010 4:34 PM
Word on the Web is that the next iPhone OS update -- version 4.0 -- will finally deliver multitasking support via an Expose-like interface. That means users will be able to launch multiple apps, including third party ones, in the background and switch between them, a feature Android and Windows Mobile users take for granted.

"Those familiar with the design of iPhone 4.0 said that the user interface will resemble Apple's desktop Expose feature, in that a key combination -- reportedly hitting the Home button twice -- will trigger an expose-like interface that brings up a series of icons representing the currently running apps, allowing users to quickly select the one they want to switch to directly," AppleInsider reports. "When a selection is made, the iPhone OS zooms out of the Expose task manager and transitions to that app."

Sounds groovy, and there will be more to iPhone 4.0 than just multitasking. Pre-release builds have shown that a global mailbox view has been added, as well as the ability to add individual contacts to the iPhone's home screen.
  • | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35

If so that would be one of the big negatives of the iPad removed as an issue.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

Yep this is going to be a nice update! But i bet im going to waste alot of battery too... i would end up leaving the app open for the whole day thinking it was closed :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Apr 1 2010 9:26 PM

This will make the iPhone a whole lot viable in the business world. And a whole lot valuable in the geek world as well.

I haven't jumped on the iPhone bandwagon yet but I'm going to take a look at the future iPhone HD (if they announce it) and see if I want to buy it or not, if not then a certain little Android might be knocking on my door.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

OK, lets have twenty five windows open on the screen at once? On a tiny screen? That will work. :) JK

This as a favorites menu is a good idea. Of course companies would like you to keep their app on your screen all the time so it gets exposure when people see it sitting on the table. Lets charge companies to lock the Iphones to do that, Genius! :P

This seems like something that should just fall under the category of "should have been there in the first place"! Just like copy and paste.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Like my BB, nice...

This will be a nice update for all the Ipads, however it will be the last free one they all get before they have to pay for the next one...suckers!

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, Apr 2 2010 12:32 AM

They should also allow us to have more apps installed on the phone at a time! They currently have a limit or my iphone is just broken...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Apr 2 2010 3:29 AM

Inspector:

They should also allow us to have more apps installed on the phone at a time! They currently have a limit or my iphone is just broken...

I think your iPhone might be broken there. ;) I have never heard of an iPhone having an app limit.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
z.massey replied on Fri, Apr 2 2010 12:54 PM

They said that you might be able to press the Home button twice and it will open up a box and you chose another app to go to so I'm sure that if you tap the Home button once then I'm sure it will just close out of the application and not keep it open to waste all of your battery up. But if it isn't like that then I'm sure they'll have a switch somewhere in your settings to turn on and off the mutlitasking and backgrounding. If none of these, then I dunno what to tell ya ... My home button is messed up on my iPhone 3G and sometimes a single click comes out to be a double click so it might be he*l for me if they don't have a switch to turn it on and off.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS