Time Warner Gives NYC Customers Free Wi-Fi

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,980
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Mar 27 2010 1:34 PM
Time Warner Cable's New York City customers just got a nice bonus in the form of free Wi-Fi. The free Wi-Fi is available to 1 million of the company's New York City customers in places like public parks and commuter train stations.

“Road Runner customers can experience a fast, simple and easy connection from their laptops or portable Wi-Fi-enabled devices in Time Warner Cable Wi-Fi zones, meeting their growing need for mobility,” said Howard Szarfarc, executive vice president of Time Warner Cable’s New York City region.

The service runs on Cablevision's Optimum Wi-Fi network that launched in 2008. Users will have unlimited access to Wi-Fi, however you must be a Time Warner Cable NYC customer to access the hot spots and you'll need to log in using your Road Runner username and password. To find a list of the free hot spots, visit the company's Wi-Fi Zones page.

Although users outside of the NYC area won't reap the benefits of this new offering just yet, we hope the idea could spread. Offering free Wi-Fi is one way for cable companies to compete against wireless carriers.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Mar 27 2010 1:56 PM

Call me cynical, but I see this as a way for them to keep customers locked in and stunt demand for municipal wi-max before it really gathers any steam.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 10,995
RyuGTX replied on Sun, Mar 28 2010 4:00 AM

3vi1:

Call me cynical, but I see this as a way for them to keep customers locked in and stunt demand for municipal wi-max before it really gathers any steam.

That is a good business practice. You don't want to make it easier for competitors to take away your customers. This applies with most businesses.

At least they aren't calling this an extra feature and charging it as an extra fee. I give them props for that.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I agree, It is good they are not trying to charge for it.

Although time Warner has been slowly gouging their customers for years. Just another dime here another dime there. Either this is a really good marketing ploy, or a really good way to keep their current customer base. Our bills went from a beginning of 45 dollars for Internet and Digital cable the first year and a half then it started to become over Sixty. SO, we stopped service since basic cable is included in our condo association fees. Then got clear wire for the internet, it is one thing to know what you are paying for. A whole nother issue when your fees start going up without notice even if it is because of taxes or other "thing out of our control".

If they have been doing this to all their customers across the states, then I am sure this is a good way to appease them into submission, and make them forget the bill that are coming.

Or it could also be a great way to keep track of your customers?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 176
Points 1,595

Wow I wish i live there but i live 2 states over and , i get free wifi cause i dont gotta pay! hehe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Mar 28 2010 4:28 PM

>> That is a good business practice.

I agree. It's just a shame that what's best for the business is not always in the interest of progress or the consumer.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 10:13 AM

For those interested Time Warner offers free WiFi in about 6-8 parks in different parts of NYC and it makes news. The coverage area includes one park where you would be crazy to go with a laptop [because you will be jumped and it will be stolen]. Ohh yeah and about 10 stops on the Greak Neck Long Island Rail Road line, which actually services Cablevision customers more than Time Warner ones..

LoL..

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Wed, Mar 31 2010 9:11 AM

bob_on_the_cob:

Sounds cool Bob, I hope it comes to your area.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS