Asus Vows To Bring USB 3.0 Across The Line, Will Others Take Notice?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,387
Points 1,192,340
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 26 2010 12:53 PM
Asus has been a huge fan of USB 3.0, and they have definitely supportedthe protocol on a few Eee PC machines and motherboards early on. Wepersonally think everyone should be shifting to USB 3.0 as soon aspossible, and it's tough to swallow any new PCs with "just" USB 2.0.Now, Asus is making a challenge to every other company out there: shiftto USB 3.0, or get left behind.

Asus was the first major company to include USB 3.0 on a mainboard, andthe company has a huge lineup of USB 3.0 motherboards on the horizon.They are also promising to include it on a number of upcoming Eee PCnetbooks (1018, 1015 and 1016), the N Series of notebooks and the EeeBox 1510U and Eee Box 1210U.

Having USB 3.0 on lower-end machines is something we didn't reallyexpect at first; we suspected that higher-end machines would get itfirst, and slowly it would trickle down. But this ground-up approachcertainly bodes well for the future of USB 3.0, so long as everyoneelse will stop trying to evaporate their USB 2.0 chipsets frominventory and get with the program.

ASUS Leads the Way for True USB 3.0 Integration in Complete Product Line From Mainstream to Hardcore, ASUS Introduces Consumers to USB 3.0

Taipei, Taiwan, March 24, 2010 – The introduction of USB 3.0 heralds a new age of faster than ever connectivity to benefit consumers in a reality of massive high definition content. Seeing this evolution coming, ASUS has been the first to ready and launch an entire lineup of products that truly incorporate USB 3.0 in their designs, making the most of its new features.

ASUS was the first to include USB 3.0 on a motherboard, offering the new technology not just as-is, but optimized to realize its potential. Based on world-acclaimed motherboard design expertise, ASUS has been able to quickly move on integrating USB 3.0 so that consumers may take advantage of it without delays and the teething problems associated with generic, after a fashion designs.

One result of the intense efforts ASUS has put into building a roster of USB 3.0-ready products is the unique PCIe x4 bridge chip, designed from the ground up to enable true USB 3.0 performance levels without compromise. This has resulted in blistering fast performance that outstrips other solutions by as much as 74.38%*.

ASUS has extended USB 3.0 implementation to a full range of motherboards, from the mainstream to the hardcore enthusiast. To ensure backward compatibility and protect the investment of existing consumers, ASUS has even developed a standalone PCIe x4 card solution to offer USB 3.0 on previously-released motherboard models.

The P6X58D Premium motherboard by ASUS is also the first to be officially certified by the USB Implementation Forum (USB-IF) as achieving the standard's newly-formulated SuperSpeed USB compliance requirements.
USB 3.0 here to stay

The availability of super fast data transfer to consumers is not a gimmick; it is the way of the future and a means to providing better technology to people around the world. Knowing this, ASUS now offers USB 3.0 on a wide range of products beyond motherboards. This includes notebooks, the Eee PC range of netbooks, all-in-one PCs and even digital media players. All of these feature designs specifically tailored to accommodate USB 3.0 connectivity so that its true benefits are available in full.

In this, too, ASUS is first, offering far reaching coverage of different product segments. While for many USB 3.0 remains a novelty confined to ultra-pricey offerings, ASUS believes every product that can be designed to optimize its performance must include the new standard.

Speaking about the innovative move of introducing USB 3.0 in as many product lines as possible, ASUS CEO Jerry Shen said:
"We are the first in the world to introduce USB 3.0 through our notebooks, namely the multimedia N Series. We're also the first to win USB-IF certification, achieved on our P6X58D premium motherboard. We believe that USB 3.0 has a pivotal role to play in delivering the ultimate experience to a new generation of multimedia-savvy users. With USB 3.0, everyone can enjoy fast data backup and ultra-speedy file sharing."

As of this writing, ASUS has already integrated USB 3.0 into the following products, with numerous others to be added in the immediate future.

o N Series notebooks
          o Eee Box 1510U/1210U
          o Eee PC 1018/1015/1016
          o Motherboards:
                + P7P55/P7P55D/P7P55D-E Series (Intel P55 chipset)
                + P7P55 WS SuperComputer (Intel P55 chipset)
                + ROG Rampage II Series/Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 chipset)
                + ROG Maximus III Series (Intel P55 chipset)
                + P6T/P6TD/P6X58 Series (Intel X58 chipset)
                + P7F7-E WS SuperComputer (Intel 3450 chipset)
                + P7H57/P7H55 Series (Intel H57/H55 chipset)
                + P5G41T-M/USB3 (Intel G41 chipset)
                + P5P43TD/USB3 (Intel P43 chipset)
                + M4A89 Series (AMD 890GX/890FX chipset)
                + M4A88/M4A87 Series (AMD 880/870 chipset)
                + M4A77 Series (AMD 770 chipset)
                + M4A785 Series (AMD 785G chipset)
                + M4A78 Series (AMD 780 chipset)
                + M4A79 Series (AMD 790FX chipset)

For further information on the continuing integration of USB 3.0 in more ASUS products, please visit these sites:
http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/USB3/index.htm
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Points 960
Zestia replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 1:33 PM

Excellent! If motherboard manufacturers like Asus and Gigabyte adopt USB 3.0 across the board (unintentional pun) then the peripheral makers will follow with more urgency. We read earlier about Corsair coming out with a new mini drive but they're still using 2.0. Given the technology is already here, I believe manufacturers should adopt the newer 3.0 protocol by year's end.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 1:50 PM

Well I have USB 3 now on my new system :) I got it yesterday, and got it up and running last night!

Time of this report: 3/26/2010, 13:48:17

Machine name: USER-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: X58A-UD5

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 6142MB RAM

Page File: 1615MB used, 10667MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

Unluckily my memory adapter has gone out so I cannot load any pictures yet. I will take care of it as soon as possible, as I have already taken several pics. As soon as I see a find some good USB 3 gear I will be able to see what it actually does as well :)

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 4:38 PM

I would like to see some benchmarks between USB 2.0, USB 3.0, FireWire 800, and eSATA. Maybe use the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB hard drive and a SSD using each of the connection types. I think that would be interesting if it hasn't been done already. Is there already an article out there?

By the way, the Asus PCI-e x4 controller that adds USB 3.0 and SATA 6 GB/s is really cool. It only costs about $30. Not sure what controller it uses and if it will suffer from a performance hit when multiple devices are added to it like the issue is with some of their motherboards. Anyone know?

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

This is good. Once companies really start including USB 3.0 in PCs the gear will follow.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

By rapid1 on Mar 26, 2010

Well I have USB 3 now on my new system :) I got it yesterday, and got it up and running last night!

So is this the system you won? Congrats again!

Is it an ASUS X58? I keep thinking abut upgrading to that one. Then I saw the Rampage III. now it seem I might just have to wait for that one to come down in price. Since I will use it mainly as a WS, a system set up like this is my ultimate goal.

Keep us informed how that combination works for you, The X58+SSD+. You will also be the voice of how that new Radeon 5series rocks or not? Maybe have a showdown with someone who gets the new Fermi Nvidia :)

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Sat, Mar 27 2010 4:20 AM

I'm with RyuGTX on this one ; I'd love to see a comparison between USB 2.0 AND USB 3.0 on the same rig. Something for HH ?...

Henri

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Sun, Mar 28 2010 3:46 AM

animatortom:

By rapid1 on Mar 26, 2010

So is this the system you won? Congrats again!

Is it an ASUS X58? I keep thinking abut upgrading to that one. Then I saw the Rampage III. now it seem I might just have to wait for that one to come down in price. Since I will use it mainly as a WS, a system set up like this is my ultimate goal.

Keep us informed how that combination works for you, The X58+SSD+. You will also be the voice of how that new Radeon 5series rocks or not? Maybe have a showdown with someone who gets the new Fermi Nvidia :)

Too bad none of their workstation versions of their X58 boards have USB 3.0 and SATA 6 GB/s. At least not yet...

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Wepersonally think everyone should be shifting to USB 3.0 as soon aspossible, and it's tough to swallow any new PCs with "just" USB 2.0.

I share the same opinion. I mean it just makes too much sense not to do it. 

Having USB 3.0 on lower-end machines is something we didn't reallyexpect at first; we suspected that higher-end machines would get itfirst, and slowly it would trickle down. But this ground-up approachcertainly bodes well for the future of USB 3.0, so long as everyoneelse will stop trying to evaporate their USB 2.0 chipsets frominventory and get with the program.

I'm glad that it happened this way though. It means that 3.0 won't have to work itself down the chain to finally get down to the consumers. Instead we have a consumer friendly product that is turning heads, and hopefully companies will soon catch on. 

One result of the intense efforts ASUS has put into building a roster of USB 3.0-ready products is the unique PCIe x4 bridge chip, designed from the ground up to enable true USB 3.0 performance levels without compromise. This has resulted in blistering fast performance that outstrips other solutions by as much as 74.38%*.

Holy crap, seriously that much a performance increase? I don't think anyone needs to think twice about upgrading. 

The availability of super fast data transfer to consumers is not a gimmick; it is the way of the future and a means to providing better technology to people around the world. Knowing this, ASUS now offers USB 3.0 on a wide range of products beyond motherboards. This includes notebooks, the Eee PC range of netbooks, all-in-one PCs and even digital media players. All of these feature designs specifically tailored to accommodate USB 3.0 connectivity so that its true benefits are available in full.

It's nice to see a company doing the right thing haha. When and if I make my next computer purchase I will definitely consider getting an ASUS Mobo.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS