Dell Alienware Area-51 Core i7-980 X Infused Gaming PC

rated by 0 users
This post has 80 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,188
Points 1,186,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 23 2010 11:27 AM

Dell Alienware Area-51 Core i7-980X Infused Gaming PCWhen you think about the market for a pre-built, proverbial "Killer Gaming Rig," you have to consider the class of consumer that would have interest in this type of system. For the most part, the average do-it-yourselfer isn't going to take much interest here, save for perhaps the appreciation of all the bleeding-edge technology and design quality that is the hallmark of such a system. That said, there is obviously a significant market opportunity for consumers that want top-of-the line components and build quality for enthusiast-class gaming performance and head-turning aesthetics, without the hassle of going at it the home-grown way. Dell obviously saw this market opportunity when they snatched up the then not-so boutique system builder Alienware, back in March of 2006.

Dell recently afforded their Alienware division the inside track on Intel's benchmark crushing Core i7-980X Gulftown 6-core processor and the resources to get it validated for delivery to market quickly. We've had the new Dell Alienware Area-51 in for testing for a week now and have spent some quality time with the machine, helping it break its first sweat, globally we might add...

Dell Alienware Area-51 Core i7-980X Infused Gaming PC

• | Post Points: 320
Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 515
Kasel23 replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 12:01 PM

I really like the case. That thing looks heavy. Strongly considering getting a pre-made system like this rather than doing my own for once. They've become pretty affordable. I remember when you couldn't get a good Alienware system for under 3 grand.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 1:57 PM

I have always admired the aggressive look of the Alienware case as there is no mistaking that alien head with the glowing eyes, you knows its a top of the line rig for its time. The numbers of this sick core i7-980X speak for themselves!!!! No need to guess this bad boy has top quality components throughout. The vents on the top add some flair as well. Top it off this baby is watercooled with a warranty for those who are uneasy about going at it alone. If you got the money or just don't want to assemble a rig yourself and want a sick looking one of a kind warranty head turner, this is one of the best on the market today.Yes

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
Norton replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 1:57 PM

I love Alienware & Origin - Love my M15x and my next desktop will be Alienware as well, Origin is just too expensive for me still.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

HFS... this beast weighs 84lbs!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

What a nice Dell Alienware Area 51 System! I did read whole story about it. Very Impressed with performance at 4.3 GHz on Intel I7 980X. I think it did performance better with water cooling system.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 3:33 PM

I think it is a big improvement over the usual Alienware cases. The classic one had a lot of plastic on it and the airflow in those cases was barely average in my opinion.

Only 3 DIMM slots...? I know I know, that should be enough. But you got an Intel 980X, 2x 5970s, 1100w psu, and a water cooling kit with a custom Alienware logo. Couldn't spend a little more on a board with 6 DIMM slots?

So when is HP coming out with their i7 980X beast? Would love to see the next Blackbird.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 5:01 PM

YES! :) the review is finally here. :) it has been waited for since the announcement of HH getting this xD

Compared to Dave sitting down there... THAT IS HUGE! (:D) (Was that screen on the case edited in or was it really attached there??? Smile) I love the color changing option here. JUST WISH I CAN HAVE IT :( lol

That alien was suppose to be our next sweepstakes :( lol! What do you guys do with the computer after reviewing it anyways? Do you guys have to ship it back or do you keep it???

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 65
Fargbus replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 5:05 PM

This case looks awesome. I've never been a big fan of Alienware, though.

Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 530
Devhux replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 8:19 PM

Wow! I thought my friend's watercooled rig was heavy at 60 pounds.  This one's 84 pounds and sure looks the part!

Impressive system, but way out of my price range.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 355
until240 replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 9:27 PM

no ssd?

only 6gb 1333?

nice case tho.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 9:51 PM

Why do people expect the top of the line computer every time? Its for a review and they don't have to make it all that as its already pricey enough. If you want more ram... Fork out 600 bucks and get your self 12 GB, SSD you say? How about another 1000 for 512GB? There are higher options you can pick form AlienWare but its going to cost you.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 2:21 AM

Inspector:

Why do people expect the top of the line computer every time? Its for a review and they don't have to make it all that as its already pricey enough. If you want more ram... Fork out 600 bucks and get your self 12 GB, SSD you say? How about another 1000 for 512GB? There are higher options you can pick form AlienWare but its going to cost you.

All I asked for was a better motherboard so people don't have to buy expensive 12GB kits (4x3GB) and throw aside the 6GB currently sitting inside.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

In my other post on this...

"The design itself, is very stylish and sleek looking. Can you imagine this system with an airbrushed case, that looks like the Predator! Or maybe an alien on one side and the Predator on the other, and a little predator mask painted over the Alienware guy in the front with the glowing eyes :)"

I knew I saw something similar to what I was thinking.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.predatorstuff.com/gallery/images/miscellaneous/predator_pc_case_mod/67.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.predatorstuff.com/miscellaneous/&usg=__4kZKqCNagJ5nfg-OklcO69p4Gn0=&h=375&w=500&sz=168&hl=en&start=10&sig2=8N7PzCUA4ISgPnKuuPPC4w&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=00RsYyZnz4ZXxM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpredator%2Bpc%2Bcase%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=1dOpS67wFZXUtQPriv3eAQ

Imagine the front with the glowing eyes, and the vents with the predator shin painted on them? :O

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 3:33 PM

I just saw the review of this system. And as they said, you have to pay to play. Allot of us could build a nuts and bolts system to compete speed wise with this, but the case design, while a little Fugly to me, is something you just can't get elsewhere. The Hard disk storage area is a cool idea along with the way they connect. (no cables to deal with) BTW Dave: How are the drives connected to the Mainboard? Are there cables on the backside of the drive storage area running from the case side to the Mainboard SATA connectors? Is it possible to populate all of the drive spaces with the Mainboard provided? (8 Hard Drives?)

The customizable lighting array is something that I may not rush out and buy, but I would certainly play with it if it were mine. The louvered exhaust slats along the top edge are a little 'gimmicky' but at the same time they're functional too.

All in all, if I had the cash to spare and no time to build my own, I could see buying this unit because it is a quality build. It's a moot point though, because I'm not so cash infused these days,.....LOL!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 405
barmmer replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 8:52 PM

Let that be a lesson to you. Don't be a sucker for the looks. It's what is under the hood that counts. I'd be interested in finding out a price comparison to see what simply building the same PC without the Alienware logo would run along side a PC sporting that friendly alien avatar.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

barmmer:

Let that be a lesson to you. Don't be a sucker for the looks. It's what is under the hood that counts. I'd be interested in finding out a price comparison to see what simply building the same PC without the Alienware logo would run along side a PC sporting that friendly alien avatar.

The actual system specs were a little dodgey but I threw together some components on cyberpowerpc.com

Case: * AZZA Solano 1000 Full-Tower Advance Cooling Case w/ Dual 230mm Fan + Extra 3 Fans [+7]
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-980X Extreme Edition 3.33 GHz 12M L3 Cache LGA1366 [+710]
Freebies: None
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49]
Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
Motherboard: * (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD5 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Mainboard DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/7.1 Dobly Audio,eSATA,Dual GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID,IEEE1394a,4 Gen2 PCIe,2 PCIe X1 &1 PCI [+124]
Memory: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1333MHz Triple Channel Memory [+74] (Corsair Dominator [+69])
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5970 PCI-E 16X 2GB DDR5 Video Card [DirectX 11 Support] [+864] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
Video Card 2: ATI Radeon HD 5970 PCI-E 16X 2GB DDR5 Video Card [DirectX 11 Support] [+899] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
Power Supply Upgrade: 1100 Watts Power Supplies [+120] (CyberPower Gaming Power Supply SLI/CrossFireX Ready)
Hard Drive: Single Hard Drive (2TB (2TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+80])
Optical Drive: LG CH08-LS10K 8X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive [+80]
Optical Drive 2: LG CH08-LS10K 8X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive [+110]
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)

That build will run you around $4100, before taxes and shipping are included. 
Honestly it's the 2 5960's that run up the bill. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 10:26 PM

The looks of it was what I was admiring, and if that makes me a sucker than so be it. My point was that the case is special. Not pretty, but special. You can't duplicate that. I'm aware that any one of us (or a lot of us anyway) could build a far cheaper box with the same performance specs, but it is unique in a few ways that are bitchin. (dope) (the s*h*i*t) (wazoo mo-fobie)

Automated Louvers, Lights, and Drive Racks.

Also,... having the cash TO SPARE is what I said. Laying out that amount for a factory build is not the way I roll. Even with that much money in hand, I probably couldn't justify giving it all to Dell. Maybe after I won the lottery or something, and I do plan to do that,...........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 11:05 PM

HEHE :) i want to win the lottery too :). if they would allow me to buy just the case... i would so go for it!  it is indeed very special and it IS pretty(what u talking about :P)! :(  lol

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

Indeed, the case looks are amazing. I guess if I were to compare them to a car it would be the NSX. 

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 11:23 PM

Marius Malek:
if I were to compare them to a car it would be

A vintage two door Volvo Sports Car maybe.

Or one of these,.....

Ha-Ha!

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 405
barmmer replied on Thu, Mar 25 2010 4:07 PM

I can't emphasize enough the window side case with illuminated neon innards. It just makes for an amazing presentation and should be mandatory for all top of the line systems. I want to see to horsepower and intricate design. But if I were to compare the alienware case to the PC being lotto-ed off I'd have to go with Hot Hardware's' system.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 1:43 AM

barmmer:

I can't emphasize enough the window side case with illuminated neon innards. It just makes for an amazing presentation and should be mandatory for all top of the line systems. I want to see to horsepower and intricate design. But if I were to compare the alienware case to the PC being lotto-ed off I'd have to go with Hot Hardware's' system.

I don't keep up with Alienware cases. But have they ever made a case with a side panel? I don't recall one.

It seems like they should have given the option of a side window for this case because the plexi panels inside are so nicely etched. Though it might look cooler in the dark without the side panel because there isn't a giant blue glow coming from the side of the case.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Damn 84 pounds... Alienware have got to start using aluminum cases! Or they should just use a heavily modified Lian Li case.. Now that would be AMAZING. One thing I don't like about Alienware cases though is the fact that they keep using steel. I know that steel is supposed to be stronger than aluminum but if you use thick aluminum, not only will the case look better (unpainted+painted) but also will be lighter.. Much lighter than 84 pounds that's for sure. Seriously, my Lian Li V2100B is EVEN BIGGER than this case yet it ways around 50 pounds, maybe... and that's fully loaded with the PSU, mobo, etc.

Other than that this is a system I'd die for, well not literally but you get the idea. I think the whole VENT openings are a cool new idea that makes alot of sense and sure looks the part. I mean when your computer is getting hot, the fans speed up but what use is the extra fan speed when there isn't any air in the case? This solves that problem. 

Lastly, those lights must take up a lot of power. Sure individual fans for example only take up 2-4 watts but it all adds up to a considerable amount.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Mar 26 2010 7:03 PM

blazarcher:
those lights must take up a lot of power
     Nope, they're LED low power, High Intensity bulbs.

blazarcher:
Damn 84 pounds...
     Yes, It's heavy but it's not as if you're gonna be carrying it around all of the time! I'm thinking it's no big deal.

blazarcher:
this is a system I'd die for, well not literally but you get the idea
    Yes, allot of us want this beast.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Alienware is finally getting rid of their old cases... Personally, I found them to be really UGLY. But the new ALX and their mini-ALX are BEAUTIFUL. 

Just wondering.... Would you go for Dell/Alienware or HP/Voodoo?

Both are large companies who have acquired small boutique brands.. But which is the better?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 9:18 PM

blazarcher:
Would you go for Dell/Alienware or HP/Voodoo?

Dell/Alienware has a better rep as far as I'm concerned. HP screwed me on a laptop repair once. I've been warning people away from them for years too.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

realneil:

blazarcher:
Would you go for Dell/Alienware or HP/Voodoo?

Dell/Alienware has a better rep as far as I'm concerned. HP screwed me on a laptop repair once. I've been warning people away from them for years too.

Dude. I only trust HP with making printers. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 10:46 PM

LOL, same here lol. I got 2 HP printers and no other HP products. My sister has a HP laptop though.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495
blazarcher replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:40 PM

LOL same here... I've got an HP C6180 and even that isn't working properly. 

I haven't bought a computer in so long lol. Must've forgotten what its like. Now I just build them. I can't trust anyone but myself these days. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:46 PM

Marius Malek:
Dude. I only trust HP with making printers. 

I have and use the crap out of HP printers, two lasers and a Wireless DeskJet too. But,......

I was at the Flea Market this last Saturday and found a Brother HL-1440 printer there for $10.00, I offered $8.00 for it and they instantly jumped on my offer.(I almost rolled away at that point) But I had offered the money, and stuck to my end of the bargain thinking that I may have made a mistake.

I got it home and blew it out with my shop vac, (it wasn't that dirty) I checked the specs online and found that it has only 2MB of on board RAM and needed an old style 72 pin RAM stick. 32MB was the maximum it would take. I pulled one of the exact 32MB sticks of RAM from the 'Ever Ready Digital Junkpile' and installed it. I hooked it up after ascertaining that the toner cartridge was full, and it works beautifully at 1200-DPI. Windows 7 installed the drivers auto-magically right when I connected the USB cable that they included with the printer. It has hardly any lag before it prints and I'd say it was definitely worth the $8.00 investment.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:54 PM

blazarcher:
I've got an HP C6180 and even that isn't working properly. 

My sister is suffering with one of those. It's the biggest P.O.S. on the Planet. She uses it for a home business office and tries to print Quickbooks Pro And Quicken docs and checks with it.

I offered to GIVE her one of my little LaserJets for free if she would let me smash it with a hammer. She paid way too much for it to even think about it. My LaserJet prints all of her stuff without problems.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Mar 31 2010 1:35 AM

i got a C6280 and its working fine for me :) It does what ever i tell it too but it feeds on ink like there is no tomorrow...

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55

Im curious about the auto venting.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

What about it are you curious about?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Apr 6 2010 5:54 PM

grayaudio:

Im curious about the auto venting.

Taken from the review article:

Another rather distinctive feature of the Area-51 is its top ventilation system that consists of a series of motorized vent louvers that move up or down, depending on how much heat builds up in the chassis.  These vents are keyed off fan speeds inside the case and temperature thresholds in the BIOS can be set to affect the pitch of the vents and fan speeds based on the settings you provide.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator

It would be cool if you could set them to rapidly open and close three times when you approach it for the first time every morning!

Then imagine an excited little voice squeaking, "Hello Master!"

Yeah,....cool! Geeked

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

That can be done Wink lol. It would so nice! you got your self a pet now :P

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 490
Xolso replied on Thu, Apr 8 2010 9:46 PM

I'm really digging the case, even if it's a bit ricer. Great specs aswell.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Apr 9 2010 2:19 AM

I just love the case and the wall of storage. And I just love the performance of it, it blows everything out of the water.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 3 (81 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS