Bing's Market Share Hits All-Time High

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,698
Points 1,207,530
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Mar 20 2010 1:48 AM
For a while now, Microsoft has been attempting to attract users with its Bing search engine and gain a larger portion of the market share. A new statistic from Nielsen seems to show that Microsoft may be headed in the right direction.

According to Nielsen, Bing's market share reached an all-time high in February with 12.5% of the market. What's most notable about this number is the fact that it represents a 15% increase from Bing's market share in January. Microsoft has enjoyed consistent growth since April 2009 when it had a market share of 9.9%, but the jump from 10.9% in January to 12.5% in February is the biggest leap we've seen yet.

The increase coincides with the announcement last month that Yahoo! and Microsoft were given regulatory approval for their search alliance. However, considering Yahoo's market share has declined since last year, the combination of Yahoo and Bing may not make a big difference for market-share leader Google who has enjoyed a 64%-67% market share over the past year. In February, Google had a market share of 65.2%. By comparison, Yahoo had a market share of 14.1% the same month. Even as a united front, Microsoft and Yahoo aren't likely to present a huge threat to Google.

Even so, SEO companies will likely pay attention to Microsoft and Yahoo, who combined will have approximately 25% of the market. In addition, it's likely that Bing's market share will continue to grow. Danny Shepherd, President of Titan SEO, agrees: "We expect to see Bing's market share continue to grow, but it is very unlikely it will maintain the same rate of growth every month. People are interested in checking out Bing and new Search Alliance, but most people who 'Google' will continue to search that way."

Furthermore, Bing has a few areas where it tends to outperform Google's search algorithm, specifically in providing real-time updates to airfare schedules, ticket prices, shopping items, reference materials, health updates, and more. People are also starting to pay more attention to Bing Maps, a competing service to Google Maps.
  • | Post Points: 185
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Mar 21 2010 8:54 AM

It interesting to see where this could lead. What with bing rising in the search engine world.

I'm a google man so I don't think I'll be switching over but I wish bing all the best.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
Norton replied on Sun, Mar 21 2010 10:37 AM

I can't stand bing for somewhat silly reasons, I don't like saying the word bing. Most people will find a use for it, I use different search engines depending on what I'm looking for.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

It seems like that is all Bing has been doing is going through an expansive and exhausting campaign. It is kinda like the only ones who are talking about Bing,...Is Bing!

Do we really use an engine because it uses flashy HD pictures in the backgrounds? Even with all their commercials and hype, I have yet to hear about anything performance wise that would draw anyone to the dark side? This is all about the numbers, Its like if we advertise more then our market shares go up! Then again MS never really has worried to much about providing innovative stable platforms and more about how many.

Plus people have become so used to Microsoft attempting to control all aspects of your computers. I wouldn't be surprised if people were turned of by the prospect of signing on, and while you are searching for "Peanut butter jelly time" they are doing a search of your computer into all the codes for anything they want?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 2,240
Kyouya replied on Sun, Mar 21 2010 11:15 AM

Doesn't surprise me that Bing is gaining market share when Google has been focusing on other products (i.e. Nexus One and Google TV). If they slack off on their cash cow, they will soon be meeting their demise.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Sun, Mar 21 2010 12:49 PM

Maybe it could be useful saying that it's US market share as outside the US Bing is unknown.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 318
Points 3,180
la_guy_10 replied on Sun, Mar 21 2010 12:59 PM

I have never tried out Bing, as Google has always been sufficient for my needs. I might have to give Bing a closer look with these new features listed. Either way this is good that Google has some competition in the search space.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Sun, Mar 21 2010 2:00 PM

As we have all said before competition only benefits the users more :) lol

I have only used bing once it came out, i did not like the looks of the homepage and when the searches came up so i left :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,926
Points 24,745
digitaldd replied on Sun, Mar 21 2010 2:34 PM

Personally I find Bing's search results to be as good as Google's in many areas and better in a couple [travel & image search]. The Bing client on my phone is way better than Google's but i think that more due to the fact the my phone's GPS doen't want to work in Google maps but works with Bing. And the voice recognition is good as long as you aren't in a noisy spot.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 325
Cheezit replied on Sun, Mar 21 2010 5:02 PM

I switched to bing and I.E. After I read about googles privacy practices. Google keeps a separate history of all your searches while bing does not. I dropped firefox for internet Explorer for being the resource whore it is. Maybe people are tired of all the hype with both google and mozilla.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Bing has been throwing money at the problem. Have any of you guys heard of Bing Cashback? It's saved me several hundred dollars already.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Sun, Mar 21 2010 9:15 PM

I heard of bing cashback...  New egg used it right??? :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955
mhenriday replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:20 AM

I presume, even if it is nowhere made explicit in the article, that the figures above purport to refer to search-engine market shares in the US market rather than worldwide. Odd then, that StatCounter's statistics for that same market (http://preview.tinyurl.com/yz8zkaw ) show a rather different trend - Bing hovering at just over 7 %, Yahoo at around 9 %, and Google chugging along at just over 80 %. StatCounter informs us (http://gs.statcounter.com/about) that «Stats are based on aggregate data collected by StatCounter on a sample exceeding 5 billion pageviews per month collected from across the StatCounter network of more than 3 million websites [nota bene, worldwide MHD]. Stats are updated and made available every 4 hours, however are subject to quality assurance testing and revision for 7 days from publication.» Perhaps HH could tell us a bit more about the data base Nielsen uses to gather its statistics on search-engine market share ?...

Henri

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 305
bbdl replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 4:55 PM

I have not heard of Bing cashback I will have to look for it. I actually tried Bing for a little bit, but am back to Google now. I think Microsoft has met a Microsoft in a different, but combined market. We will see where it goes, but as far as I experienced Google search is just more functional.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:12 PM

bbdl:

I have not heard of Bing cashback I will have to look for it. I actually tried Bing for a little bit, but am back to Google now. I think Microsoft has met a Microsoft in a different, but combined market. We will see where it goes, but as far as I experienced Google search is just more functional.

I rarely used Bing. I first heard of it from those sites that post deals (slickdeals). Seems like Bing cash back (BCB) can be found a lot on that site.

Here is an example of it for the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB: link

Taken from their site: You can request your cashback about 60 days after your purchase (the waiting period varies by store) and with at least $5 in your cashback account.

Seems like it works better for consumers as consumers can potentially get their money faster than a mail-in rebate. I have yet to try it myself though.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,926
Points 24,745
digitaldd replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 11:35 AM

gibbersome:

Bing has been throwing money at the problem. Have any of you guys heard of Bing Cashback? It's saved me several hundred dollars already.

Bing cashback = Google checkout. used to be you got a slight discount when using Google checkout.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS