Sony Readies Products To Rival Apple: Will Others Follow?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,354
Points 1,191,515
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Mar 6 2010 11:39 AM
Do you know who is currently the world's most "admired" company?According to recent reports, that would be Apple. Even though thecompany has less than 10% of the global PC operating system marketshare, Steve Jobs has managed to create a force that has permeatedthroughout the consumer electronics realm, and the mindshare battle isclearly being won by those at 1 Infinite Loop. But one of the biggest(if not the biggest) company in all of CE doesn't exactly like that,and they're finally fighting back.

Sony has been lagging behind in many respects for years now. They haveforced people to use their proprietary formats in music and memorycards, and they have been slow to listen to consumer demands. Theirdesign edge hasn't really dulled, as their WEGA HDTVs and VAIOnotebooks are amongst the sexiest on the market. But design isn'teverything, and they haven't really been competing in terms of priceand features when compared to smaller startups and larger corporationswho have adapted to consumer demand.

According to a new report in the Wall Street Journal, Sony is lookingto take on Apple. Head to head, no holds barred. Reportedly, they willbe "developing a new lineup of handheld products, including a smartphone capable of downloading and playing videogames." That's inaddition to a "portable device that shares characteristics of netbooks,electronic-book readers and handheld-game machines." Sony's Dash isalso an interesting take on the widget device for homes, and the SonyOnline Service will also be used to deliver television content over theWeb, probably to compete with iTunes.

Many of the upcoming plans are still under wraps, but one thing is forsure: companies are finally waking up and realizing the threat that isApple. Google's Android has really put pressure on Apple to improve theiPhone OS, and now Sony is getting serious about fighting the giant aswell. It's wild that Apple has managed to not only "matter" in theseareas over the past half-decade, but actually lead the way. We'relooking forward to some healthy competition; Apple has ruled the roostfor too long in our opinion.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 2:25 PM

How did they just figure this out, when Apple is going onto version 4 of the single device which has basically encompassed most of this whole event? I give the iPad some credit to, but the iPhone and Touch are the top of this market, and have been for years now.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 104
Points 865
M-ManLA replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 1:28 AM

I love competition. I just want a good slate/tablet to come out.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945

Let us hope that not only established companies, but also start-ups will rise to the task !...

Henri

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Apple Sony....its all made in China!

I agree, I would rather buy from that new startup company down the streetGeeked

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 10:38 AM

The startup down the street can no longer get into the game because they do not own a ton of frivolous patents to cross license. They're still okay as long as their product doesn't do really inventive non-obvious things like:

• Allow users to access a remote computer of a network- that's patented.
  • Stream audio or video over the Internet, cable, or satellite - that's patented.
  • Allow users to play games on a network - that's patented.
  • Pay for anything on-line with a credit card - that's patented.
  • Make telephone calls over the Internet - that's patented.

http://w2.eff.org/patent/

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS