Some Fun With A 6-Screen ATI Eyefinity Configuration

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,851
Points 1,171,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Mar 3 2010 6:00 PM

We're just doing a bit of testing here in the lab today, and wanted give you all a glimpse of what was on the test bench. We have already given you glimpses of AMD's ATI Eyefinity technology running on more than three screens on a few occasions in the past, but we haven't had the ability to do any hands-on with the technology up to this point because the Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition and the requisite software wasn't quite ready yet. Well, it's here now. And we'll be able to give you the full scoop very soon...

In the meantime, we wanted to show a few examples of the 6-screen Eyefinity setup we're working with. What you see above is six Dell 22" LCDs, each with a native resolution of 1920x1080. A little simple arithmetic reveals the effective desktop resolution of a setup like this is 5760x2160, or 12.4 megapixels.  You want high res? We've got it right here.  What's more interesting than sitting at the Windows desktop, is gaming on a 6-screen setup like this. With that in mind, we also snapped a couple of quick videos showing that a single Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition can do in H.A.W.X. and Left 4 Dead 2.

We should note that anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering were used in both games while running at 5760x2160. 
We can't tell you what the actual frame-ratres are just yet, but will be able to soon. For now enjoy the eye-candy.  As you could see easily in the video however, both titles were totally playable with these high image quality settings enabled at this super high resolution.

Here are some additional details of the card that was driving this insane gaming setup in our office today.

The Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition Is On The Horizon

Keep that drool napkin handy.  More details to follow in our full review in the weeks ahead.

• | Post Points: 245
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

I am kinda torn on this 1. Not sure I like having the edges of the screens making the window pane effect while playing a game. I think I would rather see 1 large screen that size that has the ability to do PIP and brake it up into 6 separate screens instead of this way. Is that even possible to do right now if I had a monitor large enough?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:41 PM

my mom just told me don't even think about it... (she was visiting)

MacBook Pro 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy, Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo T8700 - 2.53G, 8GB DDR3 1066, NVIDIA GForce 9400M 1280X800

HTPC 4G DDR3 XMS Corsair, Intel i5-750 Quad Core, 6ft HDMI Cable by Rosewill, AverMedia Tv Card, Gigabyte P55M-UD2,  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Vapor X Cooling, 500 HD Maxtor 7200 2.5 HDD, Asus Blu-Ray Optical Drive, 46" LED Toshiba TV

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565

@nelson LOL that would be awesome if you could do that!

Can we all get an address and pop on by to give this a test? xD lol

@kid007 LMFAO i know whats going though her head... "this could cost me..." You can try if HH donated the screens and card to you HH<3 lol

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 498
Points 6,040

This would be the sickest setup ever for video editing, but gaming? I'm not feeling it. Nelson is right, the edges of the screens would shoot my OCD off the charts. Great videos though guys!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 10:40 PM

If this takes off, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two monitor manufacturers start pushing a design that advertises minimum bezel size.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 10:51 PM

Game on the bottom 3 screens and do other stuff on the top 3? Is that possible? Never messed around with Trifinity.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 1,430
Xylem replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 11:01 PM

^^^^or zero bezel size, real edge to edge screens. I think there is real potential there.

My internet connection went down like for 1 sec and I clicked "POST", before and after it.

How do I delete my post? There is only "EDIT" available.

@ Dave (Below Stick out tongue) - Even the forum version only has Reply and Edit (under More).

Travel Rig |Acer Aspire One - ZG5 Mods so far |Toshiba MK4009GAL 40GB.4 - port USB HUB with BT, Touchscreen & GPS. 1GB RAM upgrade. | 

Main Rig |Core 2 Quad Q6600(3.2GHz), 2x2GB OCZ Reaper 800 MHz RAM, 19" AOC 913FW, 2 x 500GB WD HDD & 2 x 1TB WD Green, nVIDIA 8600GT 1GB

Suzuki Swift GTi | 2008 Version | Lots of mods in pipeline.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 11:12 PM

go to the forum thread version here:  http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/47081.aspx

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 11:20 PM

Dave shouldn't u just delete it for him while ur at it? xD (also there's a time limit you must delete it before the delete button goes away :D)

@ ryuGTX wouldn't that make the game look weird? cause ur going to have to play the edges... i would only game on the top middle screen or maybe bottom and multitask photoshop, firefox, Chat and may be another game? xD

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 1,430
Xylem replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 11:26 PM

^^^^^^^^ Thank you Dave Yes

@Inspector - I did not see any delete button appearing. BTW, what is ur hardware, should be really really HOT Big Smile to run 2 games in parallel?? By stating Games, I think you meant the real Graphics intensive Ones right?

RyuGTX may be playing Racing games like NFS, then may be his 3 screen config would make it awesome.

Travel Rig |Acer Aspire One - ZG5 Mods so far |Toshiba MK4009GAL 40GB.4 - port USB HUB with BT, Touchscreen & GPS. 1GB RAM upgrade. | 

Main Rig |Core 2 Quad Q6600(3.2GHz), 2x2GB OCZ Reaper 800 MHz RAM, 19" AOC 913FW, 2 x 500GB WD HDD & 2 x 1TB WD Green, nVIDIA 8600GT 1GB

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 11:29 PM

Inspector:

Dave shouldn't u just delete it for him while ur at it? xD (also there's a time limit you must delete it before the delete button goes away :D)

@ ryuGTX wouldn't that make the game look weird? cause ur going to have to stretch the graphics across the 3 screens... i would only game on the top middle screen or maybe bottom and multitask photoshop, firefox, Chat and may be another game? xD

Done!

Editor In Chief

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 11:42 PM

Xylem:

@Inspector - I did not see any delete button appearing. BTW, what is ur hardware, should be really really HOT Big Smile to run 2 games in parallel?? By stating Games, I think you meant the real Graphics intensive Ones right?

RyuGTX may be playing Racing games like NFS, then may be his 3 screen config would make it awesome.

LOL whaa? :D i was giving a example :D i wish i got a powerful enough system to run 6 screens having 2 run a game Sad.

Maybe but i would never run a game on 3 screens as of now because i just hate the edges in the way. RA1D showed us his setup playing a game across 3 screens here :D http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/46091.aspx

It gets me dizzy just looking at this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzvfzJq3VTU&feature=related

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 1,430
Xylem replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 11:48 PM

That's a sick setup dude... RA1D should be real happy man. How I wish I were not in India. Sick Exorbitant Taxes!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 107
Points 2,095
RA1D replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 12:00 AM

marco is giving me pixel envy

Intel 920 / Rampage II Extreme / Dominator 6GB DDR3-1600 / Gigabyte SuperOC 5870  / Torqx 128GB

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 12:11 AM

I agree Marius as well as everyone else who has mentioned it, the separate screens with the bezel breaks just bugs me. Video editing, stock trading, anything that required multiple monitors would be awesome. I think I would rather take 6 display adapter's (you know separate unit's) then tie all the outputs into one out plug and throw it on a 60" 240hz hi def TV, which probably wouldn't be much more expensive than those 6 monitors of gaming grade hi ref good color reproduction 8 bit displays, but would also have a seamless single huge picture. I imagine you could also take all the bezels of the 6 monitors, and attach them to a board or mounting of some type, and co-mingle all the wiring harnesses behind it. If you got them seamless one next to the other you would basically have the same thing in reverse on 6 different screens.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,094
Points 38,120
acarzt replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 3:58 AM

perhaps you could run 6 projectors side by side by side by side by side by side lol..... And surround your self. Now that would be cool!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 105
Points 960
Zestia replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 8:51 AM

Love the setup guys! Everyone seems to write about them as a concept but until now I hadn't actually seen one. Swordfish doesn't count, right? So thanks for taking the time and posting the game videos. I look forward to the review.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 1,735

It's an impressive tech display, that's for sure. But really, the bezels sort of ruin it, so this would only come close to working with very thin bezels. Also, for a display that big, keep in mind that you really have to be sitting about two, three meters away in order to even see anything, so why not just hook up a perfectly "normal" HDTV?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Actually, while using a multi monitor setup you will not notice the bezels nearly as much as you do in watching the video. Your eyes will ignore the bezels and focus on the screens, the same as you do while driving a car and ignoring the a pillers.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
drb replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 11:21 AM

Has anyone had experience with fresnel lenses? I would think it'd be a great solution, so long as distortion and color wasn't too bad. And maybe too hard to set up for a 6 monitor setup.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 1:06 PM

InfinityzeN:

Actually, while using a multi monitor setup you will not notice the bezels nearly as much as you do in watching the video. Your eyes will ignore the bezels and focus on the screens, the same as you do while driving a car and ignoring the a pillers.

That's a very good point InfinityzeN.  That said, think how much better it would be if those bezels weren't there.  We saw some gorgeous LCDTVs from LG at CES2010 this year, that were completely bezeless... they were awesome.  The technology is coming!

Editor In Chief

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 1,735

Interesting point Infinity; I've never either driven a car nor used a multi-monitor setup to display one image (it's always been two separate things on each screen), so I was just speaking from speculation.

Either way, my point about the size is valid. At 3 screens wide, that's 66 inches, larger than the largest HDTV on the market today. Your eye wouldn't be able to encompass everything.

And, drb, good point as well. I looked up fresnels and think your idea makes sense: they don't have bezels, so they could marginally magnify the screens to eliminate the rows and columns of dead space. Interesting...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:16 PM

Hey as far as it goes on both issues, you are very right the human eye and mind do work miracles like that, as you mentioned when in a car you totally ignore, and insinuate in your mind as vision the things which block your direct vision. I was really more thinking aloud with my bezel removal 6 screen side by side picture. Also those high refresh LCD and LED backlit screens  would fit this picture most likely better than my idea, therefore providing a massive single picture. Not to mention the TV's 240hz and above actually show 4 pictures at a time, but do so by automatically blending them, so that it appears as a single picture. A 240hz display is really 4 60hz pictures simultaneously. .

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 6:40 PM

InfinityzeN:

I think it will look fine on a 3 monitor setup if the center of action is the middle screen like fps or mmorpg. Not sure about a third person shooter with your character being split by the bezel. But like what InfinityzeN said, the user will probably focus on the screens itself because of the action that is going on. Then you just use the 2 screens on each side to aid in your peripheral vision. You see something moving in the corner of your eye, then you immediately face and shoot. I think it would be distracting (possible unusable) if it was a 6 monitor setup for gaming. Especially since the crosshair will be affected by the bezel.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565

actually infinity im a very picky guy and i notice them alot! im running dual screen only and i get annoyed of the bezels... Im like trying to do something and i go" is there something between the bezels?" i know there is nothing there but when u do somehting like gaming across the screens the mouse would jump form screen to screen (this affects my gaming not sure about you guys "mainly my aim") xD

Agreed with ryugtx

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565

Like this?

http://home.comcast.net/~rwkeating/autosim/th2go/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 8:43 PM

Inspector:

Like this?

http://home.comcast.net/~rwkeating/autosim/th2go/

Hey!  Is this one of your setups or just some random blog you found? That's cool!  We'd love to have the author write something for us on this. :)

Editor In Chief

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 10:19 PM

Nope its not my setup :D i just found it on google :D

Also the post from the main page is not updating to the forum, making it seem like my post was out of no where :D lol

NVM :D i see his post on the top xD the forum post is not going over to he mainpage xD

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
drb replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 12:00 AM

Yeah, like that. Seems to work alright, though I think I'd be a little more anal about my setup. I couldn't find a supplier with lenses 20-24". Actually, I found *very few* suppliers to begin with.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Wow, that's so cool! You get the 3D effect and reduce bezels at the same time! And the F550 Fresnel lens used is pretty cheap, about $20-30 each.

Would love to see a write up of it at HH!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70

bezels begone! = 6 HD digital projectors

i have not seen anyone do it yet.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 8:06 AM

in_sOmniac:

bezels begone! = 6 HD digital projectors

i have not seen anyone do it yet.

HMMM!   I like that idea! Marco!  We should see if we can set this up! Big Smile

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70

this just made my day complete...looking forward to it!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

That looks really awesome, but doesn't the cross-hairs land right in the middle of your bottom and top monitors? I am really thinking hard about using my tax money to pick up a 5770 or 5830 and another 22" monitor.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 2:46 PM

Inspector:

actually infinity im a very picky guy and i notice them alot! im running dual screen only and i get annoyed of the bezels... Im like trying to do something and i go" is there something between the bezels?" i know there is nothing there but when u do somehting like gaming across the screens the mouse would jump form screen to screen (this affects my gaming not sure about you guys "mainly my aim") xD

Agreed with ryugtx

I think gaming would work better on a 3 monitor setup rather than a 2. Should work well in a FPS. But as for third person, RTS, or any game where your aim doesn't stay in the center of the screens, I would assume the "jumping" cursor would be distracting/annoying.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
rizky_p replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 10:34 AM

I am more interested in the rig behind the monitor, how would you stack 6 monitors like that?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 1:08 PM

The HD projector idea sounds awesome, but there projectors so why would you need 6 really. I mean at say a 50" per projector output you would have a 300" projection that's 25 feet. What would you even project it on lol? Still though a 25 foot game wall wow. I would think if you rig them so that they all display at half, then over project 3 of the projectors on top of each other, and all 6 projectors were of the exact same brand and model you would get a deeper interpolation field. Although it would be 12.5 feet rather than 25' the depth would seem to me at least in a imaginary result to be much better. Of course you'd need a pitch black room for it to I bet or the light would break down the image.

Either way it sound very interesting, and when interlaced like this I bet the image would be awesome.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70

Yes, the projection size would be kickass but unless i'm mistaken, using only one projector physically limits us to the projector's native resolution not much different to a single monitor setup. A 25 feet projection at a resolution of 1024x768 for example is not exactly hi-def.

However, 6 projectors in an eyefinity setup (assuming each projector is at 1280x1024) would give us a 10 feet wall (for example), with a combined resolution of 7680x6144, without the pesky bezels Yum!

Now, if only the walls were curved...here's to hoping HH. hehe.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

@ ALL OF YOU!!!

i don't usually comment on these things but I TOTALLY understand how the frames and edges would bug you--felt the same way...I do A LOT of digging on the net for things like this and the best solution is ALWAYS SO SIMPLE--just take the monitors out of their bezels/frames/casing/housing. Et voila--no frames!! :o)) OR you can grab a couple of these things:

http://www.samsunglfd.com/product/feature.do?modelCd=460UXN-2

hope it help spark your imagination :))

Page 1 of 1 (40 items) | RSS