Analyst Predicts New iPhone In June

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,172,065
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 2 2010 5:17 AM
If the cost of the iPhone and its corresponding service plan has deterred you from purchasing Apple's popular phone, you'll like this. Katy Huberty, a prominent analyst with Morgan Stanley, expects Apple to introduce a new iPhone in June that will be more economically friendly to its customers.

Huberty claims the cost of the iPhone hardware is the biggest barrier to greater iPhone adoption. The service plan is also a large barrier that's deterring adoption. In addition to her predictions that a new iPhone will have a lower total cost of ownership, Huberty is also claiming the new iPhone could include gesture-based functionality. "We expect Apple to launch new iPhones in June that offer both a lower total cost of ownership and new functionality, potentially including gesture-based technology," she wrote in a note to investors.

As you'll recall, Apple dropped the price on the iPhone 3G to $99 when it introduced the iPhone 3GS in 2009. However even with this lower price, the higher end (and more expensive) iPhone 3GS was still more popular among consumers.

The iPhone isn't the only Apple product that has people talking. Huberty also has a few predictions regarding Apple's iPad. More specifically, Huberty expects Apple to ship 6 million devices in the 2010 calendar year. This is significantly higher than Wall Street's average projections of 3 million to 4 million.

"We expect Apple to ship its first iPad and announce additional content deals in late March to better than expected demand," Huberty wrote. "We see the iPad targeting the sub-$800 consumer notebook market which equates to 30M annual units just in the US (120M globally)."
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Except that the iPad is not a freaking notebook. It is a massively swollen iPod Touch. Seriously, if they manage to sell more than the 3~4 million Wall Street predicted I'll be extremely shocked.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Lower cost iPhone is good news for sites like <a href="http://www.appboy.com"> http://www.appboy.com </a> - as more people adopt smart phones, app sales are going to continue to go up and finding good apps is going to continue to become more difficult. Having sites out there that provide a social basis for finding applications is going to become increasingly important.

User reviews and recommendations from a community will be the key to helping developers promote their applications. The iTunes app store is going to become nothing more than the clearing house through which the actual transaction occurs. Hopefully they open that up eventually, then we won't need to go there at all.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 2:21 PM

Yeah Infinity they may ship 6 million, but 50% will get it home realize they cannot hook general stuff to it, and it does not do much more than a Kindle with internet browsing, and less battery life, and return them.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

I don't know if it will even get that far.  They will try them out in the Apple store and see just how little they can do.  Slow, no program hotswap/multitasking, etc.  Hell, it is not even a giant iPhone like some people have called it.  An iPhone can do more.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

In the graph, the categories of "Service Plan Cost," and "Contract Length" should have been merged with "Service Provider."

@InfinityzeN Gotta agree with you. If the iPad sells 6 million units, I'll be unpleasantly surprised.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 4:26 PM

Yep infinity the iPhone can do more. I am really waiting to see what happens when this thing (The pad) does get released. As for the iPhone this has been rumored for a while, as it has also been rumored Verizon will get it as well. That would be nice for both Verizon and Apple I would imagine in a business sense, as well as being a Verizon customer myself.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS