OCZ Vertex Limited Edition, SandForce Powered SSD Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,825
Points 1,167,315
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 1 2010 12:24 PM
When we first took a look at OCZ's Vertex 2 Pro series SSD back in February, we noted that our evaluation was a product "preview" due to the fact that the product was still being finalized in many ways and wasn't yet available on the open market.  Little did we know that exact product would never see the light of day in retail.  In fact, the Vertex Limited Edition SSD that we're taking a look at here today, will only be available in a limited 5K unit batch release from OCZ. That's not to say that good things don't come in limited quantities though. 

In fact, the Vertex Limited Edition SSD impresses like no drive we've seen before over a 3Gbps SATA interface.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,820
Points 45,680
rapid1 replied on Mon, Mar 1 2010 12:51 PM

OCZ first as a memory manufacturer is really making great choices both here as well as in a new or newer market sector here. The one thing I don't get as well as a great platform performance wise with this device, and an especially enabled on now with the huge standard HD's available now at attractive prices is the combination setup. For the price of one of there 200 Gb units, I could conceivably get two of the 100 Gb units, and a standard HD of twice there size. What this would allow anyone to do is run these two in RAID 0 with a full backup to the standard drive. I see this as an attractive idea for multiple reasons. Obviously two of these in RAID 0 would raise the performance spectrum considerably. The reliability of these type of drives while greatly enhanced still falls below a mechanical HD, as does the functionality of RAID 0. So having two of these blazing along in RAID 0, while still completely backed up to say a 400 GB or larger mechanical HD enables far better performance as well as full reliability, for roughly the same price point as one of there 200 GB stand alone drives does. This is attractive at least to me.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Every time new drive comes out with a large jump in performance, I think about upgradeing.  Those thoughts last all of 10 seconds until I realize it will cost me damn near a grand to replace my two Vertex 120GiB drives.  The Micron drive came the closest to making me take the jump, but I would have to dig up a SATA 6G controller.  I'm thinking I'll end up waiting until 6G is the standard for MoBos and drives, then just upgrade the whole thing.

That right there is the problem.  Your early adopters are starting to suffer some burnout (at least the ones I know).  Most of us can not afford to buy new $400+ drives every 2~3 months when the latest and greatest comes out anymore.  The situation is even worse when you look at all the early adopters (more so the first time early adopters in this case) who got saddled with the JMicron based drives.

I know the sales right now are nice, but does anyone else agree that sales will not explode till the next generation interface (6G) becomes the market standard?

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,820
Points 45,680
rapid1 replied on Mon, Mar 1 2010 11:46 PM

Hey infinityzeN as a straight pointer I have been seeing with both Sata3 and USB3 the adapters are coming out very early compared. As far as I know both are available now, although I have not bought one yet. The USB 3 adapter I am pretty sure is now or will shortly be available as a PCI-X one for under 100 dollars with internal and external ports. I am also pretty sure Sata 3 adapters are also available in the same PCI-X makeup although I think they are more than 100 but under 175 from what I've seen. This is one of the reason I did not like the 1156 motherboards, and or implementation all together, is the limitation in PCI-X bandwidth as well as how the controller works period.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

By market standard I ment mobos would have 6G plugs and most of the drives on the market would be 6G.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,820
Points 45,680
rapid1 replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 2:59 PM

Yeah I got that, but why not use a PCI-X adapter if you can, rather than building a whole new PC if your current PC is sufficient? I know in general I am stating that question on a forum which has users like us that in general love building or upgrading our PC's. But still if you have the available socket, and bandwidth, why not until the prices as well as components get lower, and more standard.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

I'm soooo tempted to buying an SSD. I've still got an old mechanical hard drive, I know, I know, GO BUY ONE. I'm planning on getting a "cheap" Intel X-25-V.. V for Value that is xD What would you guys consider a good SSD to start out with.. And if I were to get a high end SSD should I go with the OCZ LE Vertex or should I go with one of the others out right now?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS