AMD Based Gaming!

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 645
wallacemanengine Posted: Sun, Feb 28 2010 11:45 PM

A Forum Deticated to dissapointed AMD Fans looking for a Laptop Worthy of Gaming

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 645

For years, I have been following both AMD and Intel technologies. Now days, Intel definetly leads in power in the notebook/mobile industry with their i7 quad core set of processors. However, AMD excels in Battery Life, Practicality, and price. I am a pre-college student who is looking for a cheap AMD based mobile notebook computer also worthy of the occational game night.

Currently, a Turion X2 at 2.0 GHz of higher, combined with a 2GB 1066 MHz Clocked set of memory (Speed more important than amount as long as 2GB or more), and a MODERN ATI 512MB Graphics card with a clock speed of about 600MHz, along with all the other neccesities for a decent laptop, will get you enough power to play Call Of Duty, Modern Warfare on native resolution with a frame rate of 20-24 FPS. This is what I consider Good Enough for my taste so that I will keep the price low.

The only problem with what I wrote above is the fact that the only company I have found that sells the above configuration for under $800 is HP (And I have gone to hundreds of websites), and there your options are very limited. Sure other companies will do it, but at the expence of using a custom configuration to do it, costing more money. For example, iBuyPower will sell this configuration currently for around $900. This, to me, is unacceptable and I will not buy it.

Note that a current Intel i3 based laptop with notibly similar power as the discription above will easily sell at just about any major company with warranties, Anti-Virus, and other neccissary accessories for around $750. To go further and achieve the same 20-24 FPS on HD-Settings using CoD, MW; you could just as easily get a nice i5 based laptop with 1GB of deticated graphics for around $1000.

Now if we could just find a company willing to use 512MB Mobility Radeons as standard-addons to their systems, you could be looking at a price as low as about $650

So please, healp users like me find the AMD based laptops we want! Post suggestions, prices, places, ect; and debate the subject. Good luck and have fun posting!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

I cant think of any Mobil Radeons being used in the market today.Ait hasn't really been ati hasnt been at the fore  front recently with the mobil gfx chips. though I have heard of some new ones based on the 5000 series.

On a side note your going to want more than 2gb of ram these days unless your going to run Linux, the win machines are better at around 3-4.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 645

Der Miester, I understand that with newer windows OS like Windows 7, the system will run much better with 3 or 4 GB of system memory rather than 2. I do understand this point and agree it will run better because if Windows 7's debanding background tasks. However; at the same time, as long as you knew how to maintain your startup and background programs properly, I'm sure you could get away with a system memory of 2GB and still have it run at 100% speed. On another note, I completely agree with the Mobile Radeons part. Companies just don't seem to be using them very often; however, the point I was trying to make is this: If you spend enough time looking around, you will easily find i3 and i5 based laptops or better with Mobile Readeons and Mobile GeForce Graphics chips as standard optiopns. However, when building an AMD based laptop, you will find that HP is literally the only major company supporting Mobile Radeons and or GeForce cards on Turion and Turion II setups. Is there bugs with AMD Laptop configurations, or does AMD simply not advertise their products quite enough?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

I know you can get a dell with one

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 645

Wait do you mean an AMD-based Dell with Mobile Radeon Graphics or an Intel based Dell with Mobile Radeon Graphics? If you actually found a setup with a Turion X2 or better processor, combined with mobile radeon graphcs, then that is an awsome new find! When I checked about 3 weeks ago I litereally went through EVERY SINGLE series and found NO AMD-ATI setups, only Intel-NIVIDA, Intel-ATI, and AMD-Integraded-Chipset-Graphics options.

Personally, I would go with an Intel-ATI setup any day if I had the money. About 6 months ago a ran tests in a class on 6 of my teachers computers... they were old dell insperations, all identical to eachother, all 8300 series... what I found was astounding... The ones with Integrated Intel graphics ran 3D benchmarks at about a score of 400 (389, 412, and 409 to be exact); then the the next two, still using integraded graphics, but these graphics designed by NIVIDA, ran at 456 and 443. What was astounding was the Final one exactly the same as all the others including integraded graphics, exept this one's graphics were designed my ATI. All of the systems used the specifications below, the ATI results come thereafter.

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 SOLO at 3.0 GHz

System Memory: 256 MB

Graphics: Intgraded

Extras: FireWire Plug Istillations (They were there because the class was named Video Production)

Operating System: Windows XP Professional Version 2002

All other features: Standard on any Dell Demention 8300 Computer

When I tested the final computer, I thought for sure my benchmark had errored, so I ran it again, and again, and again. The average of all the tests was an amazing 612 score. That is unbelivable for a STANDARD Dell Demention 8300! It was so great I was able to download Call Of Duty: Modern Warefare Trial, install and not only play, but play on native resolution as long as optional graphics options were set to minimal. Even so, you are talking about an eight-year-old computer playing a three-year-old game, and on NATIVE resolution with absolutly NO upgrades whatsoever. So I sat around and wondered what made this computer so much better than the others... and I have come up with an awnser. While Intel has the more powerful processors and AMD the weaker ones; plus ATI having the better graphics cards VS. NIVIDA, despite NIVIDA having 3D capibilities; you will get the most power out of your money when you go with an Intel-ATI computer. I believe this Cooperation between Intel and AMD is a great thing and that it should contil until both buisnesses go under... But my question still remains: WHERE ARE ALL THE CHEAP BUT FAIRLY NICE AMD-ATI LAPTOPS???

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 10,995
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 12:04 AM

Intel/AMD laptop setup from Dell.

Inspiron 1564 - $669

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

at best buy they have a x2 and an ati gfx card 4330

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 645

Really? Awsome! i'll haveta check it out when I can. I live about 130 miles away from the nearest BestBuy so i'll have to plan a trip.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

Id call before you go not all the stores have them, but there $499

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner