What would your ultimate wireless router be like

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,629
Points 21,115
giantjoebot Posted: Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:52 PM

For me

it would have the gigabit ethernet ports with jumbo frames, and standard connections at the same time.  Possibly through separate onboard network adapters rather than a switch or a hub.

It would have ability to use black lists to filter the internet like Dan's Gaurdian

It would have 2 separate wireless connections so I could have 2 wireless lans on the same device, or receive on one and transmit with the other.

Possibly a Web Proxy cache, with upgradable storage, like a SD slot.  (might have to have one to do URL filtering)

And possibly a USB ports for 3G network adapters, and external hard drives that could be shared over the network using SMB and FTP.

Dual WAN with load balancing.

Adn it would would run on open source Linux

So thats my ultimate wireless router.  What would yours have?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 11:15 PM

I bought a TRENDnet TEW-639GR router (see HERE) a couple of months ago, and it's the best router I've ever owned. I wanted a wireless 300n router with 3 big ol' mast antennas because I believed it would deliver the best range and signal strength. It hasn't let me down! From my upstairs bedroom window I have a great signal all the way out to the street, which is about 200 feet away. The signal seems to burn through walls and floors as my downstairs laptop on the other end of my townhome-style apartment has a strong signal with excellent reception, connecting at 135 Mbps. Unfortunately this router isn't supported by DD-WRT, but the thing performs so nicely that I don't miss the open-source Linux. Unlike most routers that have a 1-year warranty, this one lasts 3 years, and that sealed the deal.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 515
Kasel23 replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 2:03 AM

giantjoebot:

For me

it would have the gigabit ethernet ports with jumbo frames, and standard connections at the same time.  Possibly through separate onboard network adapters rather than a switch or a hub.

It would have ability to use black lists to filter the internet like Dan's Gaurdian

It would have 2 separate wireless connections so I could have 2 wireless lans on the same device, or receive on one and transmit with the other.

Possibly a Web Proxy cache, with upgradable storage, like a SD slot.  (might have to have one to do URL filtering)

And possibly a USB ports for 3G network adapters, and external hard drives that could be shared over the network using SMB and FTP.

Dual WAN with load balancing.

Adn it would would run on open source Linux

So thats my ultimate wireless router.  What would yours have?

I would want what you described, but add a touch screen that flips up and shows full network statistics and active connections, as well as a nice interface with plenty of router options. Stick out tongue

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 3:59 PM

you know what mines would be? everything possible and built into my desktop computer :D lol

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS