Review the Silverstone FT02!!

This post has 35 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495
blazarcher Posted: Mon, Feb 22 2010 2:19 PM

I'm sure we can all agree that the new FT02 is MUCH BETTER than the Raven RV02. From it's all (almost) aluminum design to it's innovative way of turning the motherboard 90 degrees for optimal heat dissipation this surely is a case to have. I've heard several problems but the biggest being the WATERCOOLING "issue".

This is highly regarded as the best case for aircooling but it's limited space leads those wanting watercooling as an option to other cases such as Lian Li's V2000/2100's. Hot Hardware should review this case but having more of a focus on the watercooling aspect of the case. I've read many reviews of this case before and I always feel that watercooling is left out. I've read pretty much all of them, even those in chinese and german, but none mention watercooling, ever.

You guys should review the case in it's ability to suit watercooled setups. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

C'mon, I can't seriously be the only looking forward to the FT02!! It's REVOLUTIONARY! So was the Raven but I think this would appeal more to people considering it's conservative design rather than the Raven's angular design. Not to mention the Raven is full of plastic on the outside while the FT02 isn't. 

I'm EVEN willing to sell my Lian Li V2100B (which cost me at least 400 dollars when I bought it) for this case.. Of course I'll be getting it black with a window but nonetheless it is REALLY nice.

And surely I can't be the only one willing to put up with the headaches of integrating an internal water-cooling setup in this beast of a case.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:54 PM

I'm really interested in the Silverstone FT02 as well, but no so much for water cooling it. As far as water cooling goes, I feel that this 90 degree clockwise orientation wouldn't benefit much. I would much rather water cool the Silverstone TJ07 and place a triple radiator in the bottom where the HDDs are and thus moving the HDDs into all those 5.25 bays. Or, you could stick a double radiator on top. As for aesthetics, I think the TJ07 looks similar to the FT02.

If you insist on water cooling the FT02, but I'm not sure if these ideas will work because I don't currently have one on hand... The thing I'm not sure about are clearance, especially with longer graphics cards and if it is possible to dismantle the hard drive bay. Anyways, Black Ice makes a radiator that are relatively slimmer than other radiators that you could use. At the very least, you could hopefully install a 140mm Black Ice Stealth on the bottom right corner and a 120mm on the top. If the bottom fan mounts can also take 120mm (or with some modding), you might be able to cram in a double 140mm Black Ice Stealth and pair them up with those super thing Scythe fans that are 12mm thick. Obviously, it would hurt cfm and static pressure. Then just stick the pump wherever you have room left which is probably were you ripped out the stock hard drive cage or in the 5.25 bay area.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Great to see someone else interested in in the Silverstone FT02. I understand that most people will probably buy it for the air-cooling but I'm also buying it because of it's LOOKS. It absolutely looks AMAZING from ANY angle! The case has a very nice conservative styling to it similar to my Lian Li V2100B. The cooling on this is superb. I was thinking of getting a Black Ice Stealth rad that would fit 4x120mm fans. I'll take out the hard drive cages and the 3 180mm fans as well. That should leave plenty of space for a LARGE radiator. I understand that the case will probably not have an intake fan because of  this but naturally cool air stays low so it'll end up being sucked up by the HOT rads and exhaust out the case as it normally should. Hopefully in the future I should be able to have my whole system watercooled including the video cards. My watercooling setup would basically consist of a large 4x120mm rad at the bottom, a 120mm rad replacing the exhaust fan, another 120mm rad right under the PSU (I'll probably have to drill some holes for it to get some air, and lastly I'll put a 2x120 or if possible a 3x120mm rad right behind the front 5.25" bezels. I'll probably have some grills replacing the bezels so some air can be sucked in. After all these rads, I will need a powerful pump but otherwise this seems to be a great setup for watercooling the whole system.

But first I'll start out small lol with a Corsair H50 replacing the exhaust fan and cooling my CPU. After I save up some money, I'll begin modding the case for watercooling. It should come out to a VERY Quiet system. The rad's themselves will have REALLY slow moving fans controlled by an Aerocool 2000 LCD which will be taking up the top 2 5.25" bays.

I'll be getting the case in a week or two, best of all, all the cables will be sleeved by Frozen-CPU so ALL the cables will be hidden from view so that everyone can enjoy looking through the window without seeing a bunch of messy cables.  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

wow, a very nice case indeed. it looks like a breeze for switching CPU coolers and its looks very wc frendly as well

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

just checked the case out for the first time. I have to say I like the look of the outside of the case and that's about where it stops. The biggest thing that jumps out at me is that there is no clearance that I can tell for the optical drives. Looks like crossfire or SLI or expansion cards are out of the picture if you use any internal optical drives at all.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Actually clearance won't be a problem as long as your not using a VERY LONG Blu-Ray Drive. Other than that, normal "modern" drives should fit in perfectly. I heard many people have trouble fitting it in the top most 5.25" bay but I'll be filling up the top two bays with an Aerocool Touch 2000 anyways. Also heard that Lian Li's stealth bezels to hide DVD drives are compatible with this case *with a lil' modding I believe*

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 12:41 AM

Not sure what you meant, but aren't you mounting the radiator at the bottom and having it intake air from the bottom and exhaust at the top? I'm just a little confused after reading your post and the line were you said that you won't have an  intake. Your intake fans should be the fans mounted on the radiator.

I don't think there will be any clearance issues with the optical drives. I haven't really paid attention to the length of optical drives, but I don't think they should be that much longer (if not the same size) of 5 hard drives stacked up. Even if it is a bit longer, it won't be so long that it would interfere with a SLI/Crossfire setup.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Am I the only person who thinks the Interior is terrible?  Sure it has some nice features, but I don't like the fans mounted at the bottom, or the psu right next to the cpu cooler.  Cable management is ok, but i could see a cable hitting the fans at the bottom.  Additionally, the air pushed through the hd's is minimal, seeing as how there is so much extra junk for the air to flow through,  The smallish vent holes, and the clunky hd enclosure.  The only thing I like about the design is that the intake fans are closer to the cpu.  Also, PSU manufacturers need to get on the bandwagon and change where the wires come out of the psu, ideally we want to see them running along the rear of the case.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

You think the interior is terrible? How so? The fans HAVE TO be mounted at the bottom, heat rises... The PSU is right next to the CPU but it's not really doing anything... Do you mean it looks ugly? I really don't see what's wrong with the interior, I actually LOVE the look. Since I run SLI, the cards would look GREAT tilted 90 degrees. The cable management is GREAT especially compared to my Lian Li V2100B which has NO Cable management holes. Despite this, my system is cleaner than most people who have cable management holes so I really don't see much of a problem there. The HD enclosure, though it is plastic, works as it should. How exactly is it "clunky"? 

I can see why some people might not like it, but it's all for the better, especially the fans being mounted at the bottom. And again, if you REALLY don't like seeing a PSU next to the CPU cooler, then just get a Raven RV01 where the PSU is mounted at the bottom (where it should). I'm planning on doing a project with the Raven RV01 soon. Basically taking EVERYTHING out and only keeping the frame. I will take inspiration from MAINGEAR's new SHIFT platform. They basically use the same RV01 frame to do their system.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Yes, I will be mounting the radiator at the bottom, and it will be intaking air from the bottom as it normally does. The thing about "not having an intake fan" meant there might not be room left to "fit" intake fans because the graphics cards will begin to intrude. So there is a small possibility that I won't have intake fans but I'll probably mount some REALLY THIN fans anyways. There could be clearance issues with the optical drive considering I'll be putting in a triple or double 120mm radiator there as well besides the "BIG ONE" at the bottom. Therefore I won't have an optical drive, instead I'll have an external slot loading (gotta love slot loading) dvd burner. Also without an optical drive, there will be less cables to pass through meaning a much cleaner looking interior. This is most important in a case like this considering there will be a window for people to see the system's interior. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 5:39 PM

I think the CPU cooler next to the PSU issue is that the PSU creates heat. Depending on its airflow if it is in which many are it blows right on the CPU thereby making a more heated CPU area for the cooling to handle.

If the PSU blow's out it is counter productive because as you say heat rises, it therefore makes a heat envelope in the middle of the case, because with the natural heat direction being to rise, and the PSU blowing from the inside out it traps the heat in the middle. This is because your exhaust fan at the top would blow more CFM out, and the PSU fan blows at a lesser rate that heat envelope is more to the middle of the case which also makes the CPU more heat bound.

Then if you have a high flow Heat-sink fan blowing up and a lesser CFM fan blowing out right next to it that heat envelope is trapped to a greater point right on the CPU and heat-sink itself, lessening or counter acting  the effectiveness directly of your CPU cooling apparatus.

I would say either way you look at it a setup like this would create more heat for the CPU. Getting a very high velocity CPU fan would most likely over power the flow from the PSU, then the PSU has more heat.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

The CPU being next to the PSU IS NOT AN ISSUE. The system is designed for ALL components to have the HEAT rise. In the PSU's case, air is being sucked in from the back of the case, and exhausted out the top. What that means is, the CPU temps will be unaffected by the PSU as the HOT AIR is not even in contact with the CPU nor is the PSU's fan's. The case even has a dust filter in the back JUST for the PSU itself. 

Now keeping that in mind, the PSU is COMPLETELY isolated from the CPU so there can't be any "heat envelope". Your whole CFM concept would only apply if the PSU's fan was pointed at the CPU cooler but that is not the case. 

As you can see, Silverstone thought of everything lol. I like how they actual kept the whole HEAT RISES concept throughout the whole case. You can almost think of it as three ZONES (Well one major zones, and two minors). first you've got all the way in the front, the hard drives which are cooled by their own 180mm fan. Then you've got the GPU+CPU cooled by two massive 180mm fans. And finally you've got a small "isolated" zone for the PSU itself where the PSU's fan is intaking cool air from the back of the case, and exhausting it out the top. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

blazarcher:

The CPU being next to the PSU IS NOT AN ISSUE. The system is designed for ALL components to have the HEAT rise. In the PSU's case, air is being sucked in from the back of the case, and exhausted out the top. What that means is, the CPU temps will be unaffected by the PSU as the HOT AIR is not even in contact with the CPU nor is the PSU's fan's. The case even has a dust filter in the back JUST for the PSU itself. 

Now keeping that in mind, the PSU is COMPLETELY isolated from the CPU so there can't be any "heat envelope". Your whole CFM concept would only apply if the PSU's fan was pointed at the CPU cooler but that is not the case. 

As you can see, Silverstone thought of everything lol. I like how they actual kept the whole HEAT RISES concept throughout the whole case. You can almost think of it as three ZONES (Well one major zones, and two minors). first you've got all the way in the front, the hard drives which are cooled by their own 180mm fan. Then you've got the GPU+CPU cooled by two massive 180mm fans. And finally you've got a small "isolated" zone for the PSU itself where the PSU's fan is intaking cool air from the back of the case, and exhausting it out the top. 

I wouldn't want an intake in the back of a case, right next to the wall, nor do I want my case to be sitting on my desk, in order for it to draw in air from the bottom, I don't know why you're trying to force this case on us so hard.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I've been working with computers long enough to know what makes a great case in my opinion, and this case fails all of my values.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 10:38 PM

I take back my earlier comment about optical drives having no clearance issues. I looked at a few more pictures that had optical drives installed and it will be tight, especially in the first (top) 5.25" bay because the back of the optical drive will be very close to the recessed pci expansion slots. You would most likely need a right angle sata cable. Mounting an optical drive in the 2nd bay should be fine.

As far as the heating issue.... I finally found a review that actually tried to test the cooling capabilities of this case. I'm not sure how trustworthy this site is and I wished they compared it to more recent pc cases like the popular Antec Nine Hundred. So take it with a grain of salt. They didn't measure the psu temps, which would have been nice since there was a discussion about it not being efficient in this thread.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/28091-silverstone-fortress-ft02-mid-tower-case-review-11.html

There might be other reviews or user posts that tests the temps. This is just the first one I found going through a few pages of Google.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

I don't see what all of the fuss is about. The damn thing cost too much for what you get. $230.00-$260.00 is a huge price to pay for a case that isn't so special to me. Huh?

This Is what I think is special looking, totally functional, and a lot less hit on the wallet. I own it and it works well in every way. Big Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 2:31 PM

realneil:

I don't see what all of the fuss is about. The damn thing cost too much for what you get. $230.00-$260.00 is a huge price to pay for a case that isn't so special to me. Huh?

This Is what I think is special looking, totally functional, and a lot less hit on the wallet. I own it and it works well in every way. Big Smile

Not sure why either. The thread started out as a water cooling topic for a particular case. Just wanted to help the guy out with a possible water cooling setup/layout.

At least we aren't discussing the Thermaltake Level 10 that costs $849.99 (link). Wink

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

I'm not forcing it on you guys!! xD Why would I do that? I am just giving reasons for reviewing the Ft02, Mentioning things that other reviewers haven't mentioned, like watercooling for example.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Yeah the Thermaltake Level 10 is a bit much... and how in the world are you gonna watercool that beast? Anyways, I've decided not to buy the FT02 but rather invest in an HIGH END Watercooling setup with my Lian Li V2100B. I spent over 400 dollars to buy this case so why would I throw away my money by buying the FT02? Why not use all the space that the Lian Li case has for an internal watercooling setup. Just for an example of what you can do with this particular case, check out Bit-tech.net's review of the Vadim Cepheus Q80. It's AMAZING.. Unfortunately if you wanted to buy from Vadim, your out of luck, they have ran out of business due to the economy and the fact that there is a very small handful of people willing to spent over 10 grand on a PC. Anyways, I'll be starting a new thread later on about how I'd go about replicating the Vadim's watercooling setup. 

Was wondering if anyone knew where I can get someone to cut my side panels into something like what the Q80 has.. If I were to put rads in the bottom compartment, I'm gonna need a LOT of air from outside of the case so this is most crucial if I am ever gonna go through with this!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

You're right, nobody's forcing us to like it or want it either. (not for that price anyway)

My suggested CoolerMaster Storm Sniper  seems like a better case (to me anyway) because of it's functionality and much lower price. You could almost park a Buick inside of it, it's so big. The Post Office came by and gave mine it's own Zip Code it's so big!

Obama wanted to hold a Town Hall meeting in it, but that conflicted with a dance we're having in it tomorrow,...............

Your case is nice too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

blazarcher:
wondering if anyone knew where I can get someone to cut my side panels into something

Look for an outfit with a NCC Laser cutting capability. (Numerical Controlled Cutting) They use computers to cut anything into any shape. They can do outrageous detail work.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

I've recently just contacted Mnpctech.com to see if they can help. I'm not sure if they have the ability to do NCC. Most likely I'll need someone that can use a water-jet to actually cut the panel because the panels themselves have noise-isolating foam.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Well they recommended I contact

Laser Cutting Service, Inc.

803 41st Street North
Birmingham, Alabama 35212
205-595-7070 FAX 205-595-7021

http://www.lasercuttingservice.net

They don't seem to specialize on computer cases. What do you think?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

They specialize in cutting intricate parts with Lasers. It's all computer controlled (NCC) as well.

If they'll do your job then go for it. (be sure to check the price first)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Let em know if you need someone. I can dig up who I used to cut my front panel for my project. I believe they were located in GA or something but they were awesome to work with.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

If you could do that, it would be GREAT. Right now I'm clueless as to who should I go to. I was referred to some other guys by MNPCTECH but it seems like they don't even cut side panels.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

I sent you an email. What exactly are you trying to get cut if you don't mind me asking. Is it something I could do by hand for ya.

I would bet the company MNPCtech recomended would be good too. I remember contacting MNPCtech orignally and they could do it but wanted like 750 bucks for 1 panel. Funny, they never recomended anyone for me like that in the past I had to find a company on my own. Still the guys over at MnpcTech are pretty awesome and I love some of their work. ever go through and just browse through some of their tutorials?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Yea I've seen some of their tutorials. They have some really neat stuff there. Anyways, if you check your email, I sent you some information about what I am going to do. Also I have a thread posted up at the General Discussions page about my setup. If you could cut the panels that would be GREAT! I'd rather send it to someone that I can trust rather than some company. But unfortunately, the panels have some "complex" designs which would be VERY hard to do by hand unless you were like a REAL pro at cutting thick aluminum xD So I think I'll need someone with a CNC machine to do it. I just hope it comes out good. Pricing isn't really an issue.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 6:21 PM

Let us know how your water-cooling project works out. Maybe you can get a work log started here. I love following those things.

I would still like to own the FT02. I just don't have that kind of money. I hope to get it someday. When I do, I'll post a bunch of pictures and some temperatures. I won't be doing water though.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Yeah once I get the time and start the build, I'd love to make a work log. It will help me in the long run as I can get feedback from you guys and see my mistakes (If I make any, which I surely will). And about the FT02, well I've decided I am just gonna Watercool my Lian Li V2100B like crazy. I was actually thinking of buying a second one but they aren't selling ANYWHERE. Worse, the new V2110's don't have enough room anymore for stacked radiators. 

But before I can start, I NEED help with getting these panels cut! I did some researching and it seems that Kobalt Computers (based in UK) have employees from Vadim computers which do the custom cuts that I need for my case. Even looking at the pictures of the Apache X58 SLI and Vadim computers, you can see that they cut the exact SAME way, the only difference being the actual case.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

carefull sending anything over seas to get done. You have to pay an import tax. Learned that one the hard way when I tried to have someone paint a side panel for me in Canada and when the UPS guy arrived at his house they wanted $60 bucks needless to say the guy never signed for the panel and it came back to me. Did you contact the company I recomended?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Yeah, I've gotten a hold of their email address. Right now I'm working with another company that MNPCTECH recommended. Like I said, I am working on this CAD drawing, and am having a lot of trouble with measurements and forming the flames at the bottom. Anyways, I am waiting for a reply and will go from there. Again, thanks alot for checking by!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,405
dlim783 replied on Thu, Jul 1 2010 4:12 PM

Nope. Either CM ATCS 840 or HAF-X are the best case on the market!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 134
Points 1,975
Resin replied on Thu, Dec 9 2010 6:20 PM

This is an interesting discussion. I love the look of this case, and totally can't afford it.

But its nice to get an insight into what makes a good case. As of this time I would say the corsair 600T is my current favorite for the price. I'll still probably go with something a bit cheaper though

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,377
Points 31,015
rrplay replied on Wed, Dec 22 2010 10:26 AM

There is a case mod for those inclined to keep the front panels appearance for optical drives

Lian Li 5.25inch universal bezel C-02 black or silver about $12.00 stealth bezel mod will work just remove the 'ears'  for Lian Li cases and glue bezel.

just a note it appears the optical drives length  @ 7.64" can be problematic 6.85 " fits anywhere

Like this case and it is quiet.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,377
Points 31,015
rrplay replied on Mon, Dec 27 2010 8:39 AM

Just an update note : a friend of mine had a Cyberpower pc about 2 years old and found this case from a seller used with a damaged side panel ,looked at Silverstone's web site to find a replacement so emailed and got a response within an hour or so about the availability and cost of a new panel about 39.00 plus shipping He has not decided but the support was avail.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Page 1 of 1 (36 items) | RSS