My views; on the impact of things, like the EU decision on M$, and the existing Cyber security threats affecting the US!

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 Posted: Sun, Feb 21 2010 5:11 PM

On this issue I am not necessary saying it is wrong, or not smart in general in any way. What I am saying is it is much like other issues in technology facing the world. When you let a problem get so large it is in most cases unchangeable this is a very good picture of this.

I was watching a teleconference on TV of a big conference of so called "experts", who were talking about the US being very vulnerable to Cyber threats now even though these experts were pre-warned it would happen. These are still in general the same people who got us in the problem to begin with.

The political realism in the US is that the government in general is run by 2 opposing parties. The president (a lone figure head and nothing more)and all these groups to deal with these issues is ineffective and has been so because of there basic definitions, and the basic layout of politics in the US. This is in no way setup to deal with where we are as a world.

On the Cyber threat area broadcasting on world wide television that you are vulnerable in a mapped way, and showing all the weak points in this is idiotic basically. You do not go into a fight telling your opponent or opponent's exactly all your weaknesses, for if you do you will loose, and most likely with considerable damage. This is what they did though, so now anyone who wants to attack the country in this way knows exactly where to start.

This is although not directly the same as the M$ issue in Europe is the same in many aspects. The world governments have no clue how to deal with these issues, and it is obvious. The first thing is M$ already controls the computers of every 6-7 out of 10 individuals. So the larger percentage will just choose to stay with there browser as well as anything else the make at least to a much larger percentage.

As pointed out, but not fully stated in several posts, the way M$ has done this has been with a full enabling by the powers that be. Therefore; the largest number of individuals will make no change and just use what there comfortable with. I personally do not and have not used the IE browser for years. There are many on this board like me I know. We are however a rather small part of the general computer users worldwide though.

My mother and family in general except for my brother who uses Apple hardware, use nothing but IE. They do not know how to use anything else and or are uncomfortable doing so. This is because M$ was given the key years ago, and they know it. They also know that in general this will do nothing to them. This also in general sucks for the world and those who use computers in many ways.

I will also give M$ there dues. We would not have a world, communications, or in any way the amount of technology we do today in general use without them. They in many ways could have conducted themselves differently, and we would most likely be in a different place much further along if they had not. However; would we be as far along and as widely adapted if they had not?

I personally doubt it, and if someone had not taken the reigns and done what they've done we'd have been much more like it was 10 years ago today. This does not excuse it, but they were just doing business. In the end the government's and ruling parties in general let it happen knowingly. This is just like the US's as well as the world in generals weakness in a cyber security way. The problem is they do not in general change because we as a people do not change them. We just let them run on the same way they have for millennium.

This while being a change is in more way's just positive publicity. What happens will in the large way therefore do nothing really. Much like the US behaving in the same widely publicized way they have for decades on the Cyber front do nothing but make themselves weaker. If a large cyber group based in the US or anywhere in the world wanted to take over the US with the map of weaknesses they were given it could be done today. This also is in place for Al`Quiada, and any other extremist group.

They way things work and this maybe over with recession are in many ways the same. Much of the standard markets as well as the speed and movement of finances has changed. It has also changed while they were all at guard. This while not the only reason for these financial consequences, is greatly so. So these things that are being done in many ways are to little to late.

So while they may be great steps they will in the large picture not really impact anything, at least very much! Yes they may be great steps in the race, the problem is the race started almost 20 years ago. While we and the EU are not just starting it we are halfway done and the competition is 3/4 of the way through if not farther.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

rapid1:

On the Cyber threat area broadcasting on world wide television that you are vulnerable in a mapped way, and showing all the weak points in this is idiotic basically. You do not go into a fight telling your opponent or opponent's exactly all your weaknesses, for if you do you will loose, and most likely with considerable damage. This is what they did though, so now anyone who wants to attack the country in this way knows exactly where to start.

I'm curious if you saw the news, most specifically CNN the other week.  They were broadcasting the next attack that america was going to make in Afghanistan.  They announced that the troops are moving in direction to this camp, they zoom in with their fancy satellite map and put a dot on the screen, showing the EXACT coordinates of the camp.  They also showed where the troops were in relation to the camp, also when they would attack, and also the full listing of everything in the camp.  Now can someone explain to me who's side they are on?  If this is a secret attack, WHY ARE WE BROADCASTING IT BEFORE IT HAPPENS!

Now I feel like I am hijacking your thread, so...

rapid1:

I personally doubt it, and if someone had not taken the reigns and done what they've done we'd have been much more like it was 10 years ago today. This does not excuse it, but they were just doing business. In the end the government's and ruling parties in general let it happen knowingly. This is just like the US's as well as the world in generals weakness in a cyber security way. The problem is they do not in general change because we as a people do not change them. We just let them run on the same way they have for millennium.

I agree with what you're saying here, however there are people that try to fix things, or fight against the said deeds, however their voices are not heard.  The problem with the politics in this country, and the media is that the little guys are not heard.  Yes, I know that we live in a country that promotes freedom of speech and so on, but it is very hard to get noticed or even listened to.  This country isn't really run by the people, all I get is that it is run for the people and yet there is inadequate representation of race, ethnicity, or even social class.  Just remember that the people who run things in this country are the people with money.  And for the rest of us, well tough luck.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 3:45 PM

"I agree with what you're saying here, however there are people that try to fix things, or fight against the said deeds, however their voices are not heard.  The problem with the politics in this country, and the media is that the little guys are not heard.  Yes, I know that we live in a country that promotes freedom of speech and so on, but it is very hard to get noticed or even listened to.  This country isn't really run by the people, all I get is that it is run for the people and yet there is inadequate representation of race, ethnicity, or even social class.  Just remember that the people who run things in this country are the people with money.  And for the rest of us, well tough luck."

That is my point exactly, in fact everything you say is pretty much right on target with what I am pointing out. Did you see the big conference on America's Cyber weakness it was on CNN or FOX news. They had a huge map which showed all the countries weak point, there were a lot. The thing is much like the thing you pointed out about the "Secret" attack, why in the he11 is the news even given the information to show on worldwide television. Much less having a live conference with a map showing exactly where the country is weak on the cyber frontier.

A screen shot of it and a concentrated group from anywhere could in many ways damage or shut down the whole country. I get the journalistic freedom thing, but does this not seem way overboard with it. I mean that kind of integrity in journalistic freedom could cost lives on the battle field and in the home front. I think this country is in for a fall which makes this existing economical thing were going through look like nothing in comparison. All countries and governments which are not our friends have hacker armies and schools, how much do you wanna bet at least one if not several have a screen shot in HD of that map on there wall.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS