Micron RealSSD C300 SATA III SSD Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,748
Points 1,210,270
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Feb 18 2010 12:47 PM
Initially, only a couple of companies laid the foundation for storage processors when solid state drives first arrived, now we have a broad range of options to choose from. Intel, Samsung, JMicron, Indilinx, and Sandforce, all make SSD controllers, just to name a few. Today we're going to show you yet another new SSD based on a new controller from a long-time player in PC storage, Marvell. The Marvell 88SS9174-BJP2 controller at the heart of the Micron RealSSD C300 we're going to show you today, affords the drive a feature not yet offered on any competing product--SATA III support. This controller, in combination with some of Micron's leading-edge NAND flash, culminate in a drive that offered some of the best performance we have seen from any solid state drive to date.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Thu, Feb 18 2010 3:28 PM

That is some super fast SSD, i nearly peed my pants at those kick *** numbers it was putting out.  Looks like Micron came to play some real ball showing everyone else, what a SSD should really be able to do.  If only they were not so darned expensive...

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Feb 18 2010 5:26 PM

Dave and Marco, I believe you should call the interface "SATA 6G." (You kind of vacillate back and forth between that and "SATA III" in the article.) First of all, the SATA-IO wants you to (actually they prefer "SATA 6Gb/s", but heck with 'em); second, there's the confusion with the stated speed of the second generation which is 3 Gb/s. I know it's a minor point, I know everyone says "SATA II" instead of "SATA 3G;" but as SATA 6G becomes more wide-spread, it's something that will come up more often-- and I'm sure that Micron would prefer that the higher speed interface was given its due.

I also cringed a little when Marvell was mentioned. When SATA 6G was new, that company introduced a controller chip which several motherboard manufacturers rushed to put on their P55-based products-- and then rushed to take off. Several causes were blamed; Marvell said that it was problems supporting legacy PATA controls, others said the chips wouldn't reach 6G speeds. I suppose the proof is in the pudding, or rather the benchmarks; but for me it's like Toyota: sure they fixed that annoying "careening out of control" issue, but would you want to buy from them any time soon?

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:13 PM

I thought Micron was working with Intel on a couple projects right now anyway. You would think at least based on Intel's general QC, that some might bleed over to Micron. I would hate to pay for something as expensive as this one and have a blow out either way that's for sure.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:24 PM

Thoser are some impressive numbers! Now if only I could get a pair for a RAID :-D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Fri, Feb 19 2010 2:31 AM

Lol yeah two of these in RAID 0 would be FAST wouldn't they.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Well you forgot Toshiba (their drives compete with Samsung drives in the OEM market) and SiliconDrive (now Western Digital  Solid Storage, who's drives closely match the Sand Force drives).  If you get around to it, I would love to see you bench one of the new SiliconDrive III's.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Not Ranked
Posts 65
Points 800

The only question that I still have about SSD drives is how do there sustained rewrite speeds perform. I know TRIM is suppose to fix everything but, realistically do the speeds posted on all the reviews really maintain themselves. The only real true test to this is to do 12 or so back to back 10GB write tests. This way you can see the drive performance tail off as TRIM activates and your assured that the entire disk has been written at least once. In all honesty this is the true test of weather or not a SSD is ready for prime time or not. In most of my experience all of the SSD drives are lacking to that respect....

It's not custom unless your the only one who can boot it.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS