The coolest feature you'll see all day

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 Posted: Thu, Feb 11 2010 9:12 AM

KDE4.4 was released yesterday, and this caught my eye:

1:45 into the video:  Window Tabbing  (i.e. - grouping multiple applications into tabs of a unified window)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Feb 12 2010 7:52 PM

I created a more HH-centric vid showing off this one feature.

In this video, Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, and the VLC player are all combined into a single instance.  This feature is independent of the apps and gives the desktop the functionality that's only been in web browsers until now:

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,923
Points 24,700
digitaldd replied on Sat, Feb 13 2010 3:34 PM

I get it, seems like a prettier version of tiling, or Windows task grouping on the taskbar. I really miss the old Tile All Windows options that older version of Windows had One thing nice about Linux is that many of the graphical environments still support that. Gotta love simplicity that works.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sat, Feb 13 2010 3:53 PM

One of the nice things I noticed about this is that it works independent of the taskbar grouping.  You can still group the items on the taskbar if you want, but you don't have to just because they are in the same window.  Then, when you click on their taskbar items - the window activates and automatically switches to the proper tab.

• Filed under: ,
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Sun, Feb 14 2010 11:20 AM

Nice videos, the features are pretty cool too.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS