Can faulty temperature sensor determine a shutdown?

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75
veverone Posted: Sat, Jan 30 2010 7:45 PM

My pc with an old Barton processor is restarting after some time and it keeps restarting at a very short interval (it doesn't even boot) if i don't shut it down for good... to cool off.

A cold start shows my processor temperature at 50 Celsius degrees (122 Fahrenheit degrees)... and it rises normally reaching 80 degrees Celsius or more.

So... it is obvious that the sensor is broken (i replaced the thermal paste and the cooler is running fine). Can this determine those restarts in order to protect the processor from an inexistent overheating?

P.S.

The sensor is normally located in the processor and not on the motherboard, right? (because if this is not the case... it could be the motherboards fault for misinterpreting the temperature)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Sat, Jan 30 2010 7:48 PM

yep, if your temperature sensor is tied into the bios then it may be causing the shutdowns, so as to try to protect the CPU from damage from overheating.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Sat, Jan 30 2010 8:01 PM

yep this does cause it to shutdown, When my sisters comp cpu fan died it just shuts off the min u open it... lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 3,310
caos420 replied on Sat, Jan 30 2010 9:12 PM

try to shut off temp monitoring in the bios if you can and then try to run the computer.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Sat, Jan 30 2010 11:31 PM

More than likely your cooler isnt making proper contact with the chip anymore than the temp sensor to suddenly fail.  Take your case and have it so that the motherboard is parallel with the desk or floor so that the cpu cooler isnt hanging and see if that makes a diff.  Socket A mobos only had retention clips and over time those can get brittle and break, or the clip could not be pushing enough pressure on the chip anymore so that the cooler isnt maintaining proper contact. 

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 31 2010 1:28 AM

Yeah a Barton core has some age on it I would imagine the retention clips are gone.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75
veverone replied on Sun, Jan 31 2010 2:11 AM

Thank you for the replies...

I'm not really an idiot... so i would know if the thermal transfer isn't done properly. The question was very well formulated and my only interest was to find out if a faulty sensor can cause a shutdown by reading the wrong temperature.

Anyway... other opinions on the subject?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Yes it can.

Now to your other question, there can be more than one temp sensor. There is the socket temperature under the CPU (external CPU temp) and there may be another sensor inside your CPU core itself (internal CPU temp). Either could be the problem.

Source: http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop/amd_socketa_overclock.html

Inspector:

yep this does cause it to shutdown, When my sisters comp cpu fan died it just shuts off the min u open it... lol

I've had my laptop shut down due to overheating a few times...unfortunately, I know a faulty thermal sensor is not to blame. I sometimes hear it make a agonizing whine when I start up Mass Effect.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 31 2010 3:38 PM

Hey gibbersome why don't you change out your laptop fans for better performing units? It is not all that hard just remember you mark the screws so you know which go back where.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Sun, Jan 31 2010 4:02 PM

I figured that you ruled out it actually overheating from your 1st post. Like gibber said, there can be temperature sensors on both the motherboard and the cpu. It is more likely that the motherboard one failed, but can you post what motherboard and which model barton cpu you are using? That way I can do some more research on it or someone may know about it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

What are the temps in the bios?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

rapid1:

Hey gibbersome why don't you change out your laptop fans for better performing units? It is not all that hard just remember you mark the screws so you know which go back where.

Hmmm...I never thought about that. It's definitely worth a try. I've opened up my laptop before to add memory and change the processor. THanks for the suggestion rapid. I'll make it into a Spring break project!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 75

I will replace, temporarily, the processor with another one (witch i now behaves normal). If the temps are off... than the sensor from the motherboard is broken :|... otherwise the processor is bad :|

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35

Hey Soup well i think that your statement is absolutely right like connectivity of temp sensor to bios causing shutdown.Thanks!!

Sensors Manufacturers

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS