Bill Gates Begins To Tweet

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,465
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jan 20 2010 4:25 PM
Don't worry, Bill Gates hasn't lost his mind, and starting Tweeting like a bird. Rather, the tech guru has joined the ranks of Twitter.

And while Twitter's fail whales were out in force this morning, it was most likely not because Bill Gates joined Twitter, despite the fact that Gates already has over 230,000 followers at the time of this writing.

Instead, although Twitter readily admitted it had issues this morning, it was either due to: a) hardware failure or b) the magnitude 6.1 aftershock that hit Haiti this morning. The outage occurred soon after the temblor hit.

Gates, on the other hand, tweeted his first message Tuesday at 11:59 AM, with the typical first message from a former programmer. It said, "Hello World."

@BillGates is also a "verified" Twitter account. That means that Twitter has confirmed he is who he says he is. There are plenty of celebrity impersonators on Twitter, and "verified" accounts were designed to weed them out.

Gates also has rejoined social networking site Facebook. He quit about six months ago, tired of being swamped with thousands of "friend" requests from people he did not know.

Finally, Gates latest Tweet, at the time of this writing, is about his new site, TheGatesNotes.com, which just went live on Wednesday. The site is broken into a number of categories including “My Travels,” "What I'm Thinking About," and “What I’m Learning.”
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 5:34 PM

It's official: Bill Gates uses Linux!

(I checked Netcraft and the HTTP headers, and Twitter is running the Apache web server on Linux).

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 1,695
Bighorse replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 5:51 PM

I think it is nice that Bill Gates keeps in touch with us after his departure from his throne at Microsoft. He will continue to be a power player in the world of PC. Now we need to get Bill, Steve Jobs, and a few other Tech gurus in a chat room and see what the think tank will come up with.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

I'm now following him on Twitter...this will be interesting.

www.gatesnotes.com is where he writes what he's upto since he left his fulltime job at Microsoft. What can I say, he's trying to do some good in this through his foundation and that's noble.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 6:45 PM

Hmmm... maybe I should follow him too. At the very least it will be entertaining to hear gems like "Spam will be a thing of the past in two years’ time." in real time.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Lol, indeed!

Also keep an eye out for the celebrities he's now rubbing shoulders with. Ashton Kutcher, Ryan Seacrest, I wonder who's next. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Lady Gaga!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Guess Ryan Seacrest and old Bill are friends.

In all seriousness he is doing a lot of good with the money he has earned, but idk if I really find him interesting enough to hear his random thoughts.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 8:59 PM

gibbersome:

www.gatesnotes.com is where he writes

Netcraft reported the OS as Linux for that one too, but a little digging has show that it's probably just due to Akamai running their caching system on Linux.  Same for gatesfoundation.org.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 11:47 PM

Yeah I joined his twitter and rejoined his facebook when I saw this. As for Bill gates running Linux could you really think he never ran UNIX, I mean really when he started out. This man could probably write his own distro of Linux in a week or two. Please don't forget he created the most popular as well as most common OS on this planet.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jan 21 2010 12:58 AM

rofl thats a mean quote 3vi1

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jan 21 2010 8:56 AM

>> This man could probably write his own distro of Linux in a week or two.

Not a chance. Bill Gates hasn't written anything since working on 8-bit BASIC interpreters (not hard) over 28 years ago. And Gordon Letwin thought the design of those was so good that he threw them away and started from scratch when he joined Microsoft.

Gates' success is based on timing and vicious business skills, not any outstanding technical prowess.

Of course he could certainly pay people to create his own Linux distro, like he paid the people who actually wrote Windows.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

"Gates' success is based on timing and vicious business skills, not any outstanding technical prowess."

Yep, pretty much! It was Gates' ability to understand the business as well as the technical side led to Microsoft's success. Time and again, Microsoft used its position as an OS provider to squeeze out independent software developers like Lotus.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 1:49 AM

Lotus still exists

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Yes, but remember when Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet used to be very popular? When Windows 95 came out, Lotus was slow to release software for it and consequently lost a lot of marketshare. They were eventually bought out by IBM.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 3:52 PM

gibbersome:

Yes, but remember when Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet used to be very popular? When Windows 95 came out, Lotus was slow to release software for it and consequently lost a lot of marketshare. They were eventually bought out by IBM.

Lotus wasn't slow at all, quite the opposite:  There was a phrase we used back then:  "DOS isn't done until Lotus won't run".

Microsoft was a partner in the L.I.M. specification that allowed programs to access extended memory. L.I.M. = Lotus, Intel, and Microsoft.

Microsoft changed Windows and (and through it their new spreadsheet product, Excel) to do LIM access on word boundaries instead of byte boundaries. Then they changed the LIM driver to only work on word boundaries, and to cause a fault in the programs that attempted access on byte boundaries. Super conveniently, they didn't bother to notify Lotus (or Intel) that they implemented a we-are-going-to-break-all-your-programs change to the L.I.M. spec.

They shipped DOS first, and apologized later. Except they didn't apologize. They ran advertisements picturing a jet fighter pilot crash helmet. "Crash proof. Doesn't it make sense to get your applications from the people who make your OS?"

Just one of many times Microsoft destroyed a competitor underhanded tactics and vicious business skills.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS