Jelfin Ships Spherical Mouse, The Crowd Roars

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,205
Points 1,186,995
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jan 16 2010 2:25 AM
Mice makers have been trying to "overhaul" the tried and true mousedesign for years. Meanwhile, the keyboard has remained relativelyconstant in shape/form factor, but that's another story for anotherday. The all-new Jelfin mouse, which we heard about briefly at the endof last year, made its official debut at the Consumer Electronics Show,and the big news now is that it's finally shipping.

For thosewho were skeptical about the ergonomics of a round mouse, it soundslike you need not fret. Onlookers at the show were reportedly impressedby the shape and the soft gel cover. For those who missed it the firsttime around, the spherical mouse is ensconced in a soft, translucentgel covering that hugs the entire surface area and sets a newstandard for comfort. To use it, you simply cup your fingers around thearound the ball rather than extending them outward for a more natural,ergonomic feel.

The mouse is shipping now for $34.95 fromAmazon, but we doubt this will replace your high-precision laser mousewhen it comes to gaming. For comfort, however, it looks like a winner.

Cool Chic Shape, Unparalleled Comfort

Jelfin'sintelligent new design fits perfectly the curvature of your hand,providing a more natural and comfortable feel than a traditionallyshaped mouse, and puts less tension on the wrist and forearm.  One partcushiony stress-relief ball, two parts cool computer mouse, Jelfin isundeniably soft and tactilely enticing to the touch.  Plus, with itschic shape and squishy cover, it's just fun to use!  Jelfin boasts fiveaccent colors: cobalt blue, crimson red, cadmium yellow, electric greenand hot pink.

Sleek Storage Can

Jelfinreally delivers with a hard-surfaced, sleekly designed travel can, freewith every purchase, for transporting and storing the ball-shapedmouse.  Funky yet functional, the can is ideal for laptop users andcompact enough to fit easily into a laptop case.

High Quality, Precise Performance

Theconsumer electronics community gave Jelfin accolades for itsperformance and features, and high grades for comfort.  Jelfin'senticing, squishy cover appeals to adults and teens; its bright colorsand sporty shape make it fun and easy-to-grip for little ones juststarting off.  Germ-conscious users delight in Jelfin's removable coverwhich can be replaced with a fresh one in vibrant new colors –available for purchase soon.  PC or Mac compatible and with 1,000 dpi,the Jelfin mouse allows for precise and smooth scrolling.

"Withas much time as we spend on the computer, we all deserve a better – andmore comfortable – experience," added Pajic.  "Jelfin is dedicated tobringing the world the most comfortable mouse possible... and making itfun.  Why should your hands settle for anything less?"

To Purchase Jelfin Mouse

The Jelfin Mouse can be purchased at www.jelfin.com or www.Amazon.com.  $34.95 includes the Jelfin gel-covered mouse, travel can, and free shipping.  Comparable in quality to

high-priced,designer mouse selections, Jelfin's affordable retail price appeals tostudents and professionals alike.  Watch for major retailers nationwideto stock the Jelfin Mouse and additional Jelfin products soon.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Still looks very uncomfortable for you wrist.

Either way I'd be willing to buy if it came with a pokemon.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Okay, I'm having a terrible amount of fun with this product. Looking up reviews on Amazon, I found this little gem:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3AETXGSMA8CFU/ref=cm_aya_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002QGB1RC#wasThisHelpful

The review is by a Mr. Michael Matthews (verified real name) and it's titled "Best mouse I ever owned!"

Michael goes on to elaborate:

"This is the most comfortable mouse I have ever used. The gel cover feels great to the touch and the round shape was way more comfortable than a traditional mouse. Persission was excellent too. I love my Jelfin gel covered mouse!"

Besides misspelling 'precision' it turns out that Michael Matthews is the Vice President, Director of Marketing and Sales at Jelfin. Coincidence? You decide.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 2:43 AM

Wow...Busted hyping your own product. I seriously thought no product managers would stoop that low. Rofl yeah right. How could you invent that thing and think it would attract users for a mouse even if it is the best thing since sliced bread. It looks totally idiotic, and I am sure my wrist will feel great after I hold it above the desk 2.5 inches for an hour. Dang at least include an elbow rest or something and graphically show it in product ad's or something.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Haha, I don't think he realized that his real name would show up on the review.

Video of someone using the mouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1kQGQY7Cnc&feature=related

Looks about as comfortable as a tennis ball.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,659
Points 104,155
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 8:58 AM

You get the shiny new 'Storage Can' with it,..............another place to put the quadrillion little screws I have laying around.

These mice are cheesy looking and I'm not willing to shell out that much money just to see if they're really 'comfortable' either.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 11:02 AM

Many many companies and authors have been busted for fake Amazon reviews. I take all of the positive ones with a grain of salt.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 12:04 PM

Yeah Gibber in that video it does look easier to use than I would think looking at it initially. I still don't like the way the wheel and buttons are moved to a differing position.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 12:07 PM

Oh I know 3vi1 I can assure you this type of review exists anywhere even on Newegg. The big thing here is it looks like the product reps were the only positive ones. So they are getting desperate and the PM is grasping.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 12:10 PM

Yeah realneil I will say the video gibbersome posted shows them in a different way than I assumed. I still don't like it, but it looks at least somewhat different for comfort. It may actually work ok, and of course difference sometimes proves to be warranted when experienced. Either way I will stick with my Logitech MX518's.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 2:05 PM

I'm curious enough to want to try one--just not for $34.95. Unless you've got small hands, a tennis ball *is* reasonably comfortable to hold, and we're talking about something you grip, not something you squeeze constantly.

(I actually went and hunted down a tennis ball).

The problem, as I see it, is that the usefulness and comfortability of this mouse will directly depend on the size of your hand and the resting height of your arm/hand in relation to your desk/table/surface. In my case, my arm rests on my armchair, which leaves my hand 'floating' over the desk at almost exactly tennis-ball height. Given this, I can see a certain potential.

If you don't meet that height, or the mouse isn't hand-comfortable, I think this thing would annoy the crap out of you.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Yep, it's a lot smaller than I imagined. But still, it still doesn't negate the fact the the click and the scroll especially are in a pretty awkward place for your hand.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Haha, Joel, is that a prelude to a review?

I haven't seen any impartial reviews of it yet. I just thought the title of this news article was interesting. It made it sound like the Jelfin was already a big hit.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 6:15 PM

lol it was just released I know I would not be paying to try one out. I also feel as joel details a try out in my current mousing environment, other than that I amm jsut paying to test something. Thats not very cool really.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

You never know. Jelfin might contact HH and ask them to review their product.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
macgeek1 replied on Sun, Jan 17 2010 11:21 PM

Don't you think that's a little harsh?  If he posted his real name in the review, I doubt he was trying to disguise his identity or pull a fast one on you!  So he genuinely likes the product he's selling -- good for him!

I must add I did buy a Jelfin Mouse after testing it out at the CES show and agree that it is extremely comfortable.  That gel covering really does wonders for the mouse!  The shape looks modern and i appreciate how cool it looks on my otherwise messy desk.  It did amaze me how popular Jelfin's booth was at the show, especially for a newcomer....the adjacent Microsoft booth was dead when i was there and at least a dozen people were huddled around Jelfin's.  Cool product.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:07 AM

I agree that promoting your own product is completely fine, as long as you include a disclaimer in your review. Otherwise it seems unprofessional as in this case. Unless it was a completely different Michael Matthews, the review was disingenuous and poor business practice.

The Jelfin mouse looks interesting enough that I checked the reviews for it on Amazon. Not having the benefit of tried the product myself I looked for impartial reviews as would most people in my position. I was quite amused by what I found so I posted it here.

However, having the input of someone who uses the mouse on a daily basis helps. Could you elaborate more on what you liked about it? How about the position of the buttons and wheel? What didn't you like about it?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

So far all the negative comments on here seem to be from people who haven't even tried the mouse. You complain about the VP of Marketing writing a positive review about his own product but at least he's used it. And so what if he likes it? Would you buy a product from someone selling it but not liking it themselves? I was at the CES show and stopped by the Jelfin booth. I admit that I was skeptical at first but after getting to test it at the show, I bought one myself. After a little bit of getting used to I found that I really like it. It fits/feels really nice in my hand and the gel cover is awesome. As for the position of the buttons and scroll wheel, they aren't awkward at all. While the mouse might look like a tennis ball, it isn't meant to be gripped like one and you're fingers rest on the buttons as they drape comfortably over the top of the mouse. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945
Soupstyle replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:01 PM

lol pwned, nice one gibber

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 7:08 PM

Yeah Sunangel I saw some pictures of someone actually using one, and it changed my mind a little bit about the product. I know it looks kind of goofy and is definitely different. But hey what kind of forum is this a forum that discusses ancient hardware or one which discusses new and advances in hardware. The picture I saw and the positions in it while being used give a much better picture of the actual experience. I might have to try one as usual at a retail location and make my final judgment then.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 3:14 PM

So is anyone gonna try one of these out? I am actually thinking about getting one for Sarah to see if she likes it. Shoe could use a new mouse Hmmm.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

As far as I know they're only sold on the Jelfin site of Amazon. I would have liked to try one of these in-store. At the very least it would make a good gift stuffer come next Xmas. I think this would be more comfortable for someone with larger hands though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,832
Points 45,800
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 3:49 PM

Well I am 6'3" tall and my hands are about 10 inches across at least from palm to end of index finger so that would probably be me :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Jan 30 2010 12:00 AM

i would like to buy one of these to test it out, it looks ok to me.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 3,310
caos420 replied on Sat, Jan 30 2010 6:03 PM

Looks like something i'd let my dog chew on.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

can ur dog chew on this? http://www.oreobject.com/pages/main-page

HAHA on their homepage they have the steel and platinum pictures mixed up xD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Inspector:

can ur dog chew on this? http://www.oreobject.com/pages/main-page

HAHA on their homepage they have the steel and platinum pictures mixed up xD

What? No scroll wheel?! The Platinum one is just the steel one with a shiny finish...and it costs around $225. These make the Jelfin mice look like a bargain!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

i found the link on engadget and they said there was a horizontal scroll wheel

Page 1 of 1 (28 items) | RSS