Kingston To Replace Select Flash Drives For Improved Security

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,870
Points 1,116,190
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 15 2010 2:13 AM
Slip-ups and the like happen, but they're never fun to deal with.Thankfully, Kingston is helping those affected by their latest goof getover the bitter taste by giving them a new, bug-free replacement. In aworld full of lackluster customer service, this is a welcome change tothe norm. Evidently, a number of Kingston's DataTraveler Blackbox,DataTraveler Secure – Privacy Edition (DTSP) and DataTraveler Elite –Privacy Edition (DTEP) were shipped with inadequate security protocols,but the company will be replacing affected drives with new units thatinclude "an improved security architecture."

Kingston is offering its customers thefollowing: a FIPS-certified replacement for the DTBB; and theDataTraveler Vault – Privacy Edition for the DTSP and DTEP. The reasonis because they were notified in December by a third-party securityconsulting firm that theDataTraveler BlackBox, DataTraveler Secure – Privacy Edition andDataTraveler Elite – Privacy Edition contained a potential securityflaw, and we're guessing that independent verification confirmed thestory. John Holland, vice president, U.S. sales, Kingston, voices his opinion here:

"We have decided the best way to address this problem is to offer ourcustomers replacement units that incorporate newer and strongersecurity architecture. Since we were first notified of the potential hack, we have concludedthat exchanging drives is the proper solution for our customers." Customers who own one of the affected drives should contact Kingston'sCustomer Service Department for full details of our standard returnprocess. For the customer service phone number in your region, visit www.kingston.com/driveupdate.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

I own a Datatraveler Elite, thanks for the info!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 651
Points 5,915
mhenriday replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 8:14 AM

Good move on the part of Kingston ! However, from what I am told, if one flies to the United States with one of these devices, one can be required when passing through customs to reveal the necessary codes so that it can be inspected. As far as I know, the Chinese have not adopted this procedure, but as we know, they are under a certain amount of pressure to learn from their betters when it comes to such human rights as privacy....

Henri

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

I've traveled with my USB keys several times and never asked about the contents. But you're right, they used to be much stricter when it came to electronics. I remember having to turn on my laptop at the security checkpoint several years ago, now not so much.

BTW, Kingston BlackBox costs $250 for a 8GB drive...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 651
Points 5,915
mhenriday replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 3:39 PM

Not bad, 250USD for an 8GB USB key ! Give the premium they command, it's not hard to understand why Kingston feels a need to recall and replace devices that don't work as they should....

Henri

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

Bingo! Haha, offering free replacements is the least they could do. I still don't understand how an 8GB could cost that much.

My trust sandisk USB drive from over 6 years ago has a rubbery outer shell that makes it extremely resilient. It also seems much better made than their titanium brand while costing a third as much when it was bought.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:44 PM

Yeah Kingston has generally been pretty tight on support anyway so I am not entirely surprised. I used there memory on several computers and never had an issue. I am using Mushkin black now, but I remember looking at Kinston HyperX to when I got it and the timing on the Mushkin was better as well as it's Black performance profile and the price was the same.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS