Intel WiDi Wireless Display Technology at CES, Simply HOT

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,096
Points 1,183,530
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:48 PM
At this year's CES show in Vegas there have been more than a couple of relatively exciting announcements and of course Intel was intent on joining the party.  Today we got to spend some quality time behind closed doors with the folks in Intel's Mobile group learning a bit about some of the new features that will be coming to their Core i5 and Core i3 Mobile platforms in the weeks ahead.  We heard some fairly inspiring things about the technology back in the November time frame at a cozy bistro in New York city but today we were able to see it in action and it was impressive to say the least.

Intel's new WiDi (Wireless Display Interface) technology will start to be bundled with various Core i5 and Core i3 notebooks later this month and it promises to address the Home Theater and Multimedia PC markets with a solution that will enable wireless connectivity of your notebook over HDMI to an HDTV. Using standard 802.11n wireless technologies for transmission of data, Intel describes the product as "
a solution that requires a laptop PC based on select 2010 Intel Core processors, Intel HD Graphics, and Intel Centrino wireless with Intel MyWiFi Technology enabled. The laptop needs to have Intel Wireless Display software installed and also an adapter featuring Intel Wireless Display is required to receive the signals from the PC that display them on the TV. This adapter is connected to the TV via either HDMI or standard AV cables."

Netgear has stepped out early with a receiver product dubbed Push2TV and their block diagram below lays out the solution for you here...

Intel WiDi Wireless Display Technology at CES, Simply HOT

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 10 2010 2:40 AM

This is very cool. From what I had understood about wireless N initially was that this type of thing (HDMI straight transmission) was one of the reasons for it's development. I never really saw any appliances or anything else which could make any use of it after it hit the market though.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jan 10 2010 8:22 PM

Yeah.. that's the same reason I'm curbing my enthusiasm as well.  Also, I've never been a big fan of HDMI due to its marriage with HDCP.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,102
Points 38,250
acarzt replied on Tue, Jan 12 2010 2:36 PM

A little off topic... but I read WiFi as... Why Fy\Fye\Figh... So wouldn't WiDi be Why Die?

Ok, you may continue lol

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Really really cool concept. I can see this quickly becoming standard on notebooks. As long as it doesn't suck the juice out of your mobile platform like bluetooth does.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 3:10 AM
haha, i dunno, i'd perhaps pronounce is WeeDee

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

la idea me parece genial, pero esa tecnologia es adaptable netamente al los intel core???

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,890
MembershipAdministrator

DEduardo:
la idea me parece genial, pero esa tecnologia es adaptable netamente al los intel core???

Yes Eduardo, it's adaptable to Intel,....It's released by Intel.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS