Shortcuts

Macbook Pro 13.3"

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 Posted: Wed, Dec 30 2009 5:01 PM

"Apple's MacBook Pro (13") grabbed our runner-up spot. It's ability to dual-boot into Windows 7 and OS X is a significant advantage for anyone who enjoys running certain applications in the latter, and it's portability/excellent battery life also helped out. It also has a fantastic and durable design, and the resale value is second to none. The price is admittedly on the high side, but it's a premium worth paying if you really want to boot today's best two operating systems on a single mobile rig." <- This is perfect statement, Right now i'm working in my extended review of my new toy, YES! you guessed it right I switched to what few people would say is the "dark side"

I would give you a sneak peak of it, I absolutely adore the new laptop. For those that have know me since I started in HH, I Have been a Hardcore defender of Microsoft and always have supported them. Now to be honest with I'm fed up with them everything that they made for Apple has a freaking restriction. YES! a restriction I mean if Bill Gate or Steve could read this thread and many others that are there they would be ashame of themselves.

I'm sorry if i'm going into a rant but I cannot believe that they would restrict the MSN Messenger. I mean if you go to Google and type; "MSN Messenger with CAM" you would be blown away by the results. In a nut shell Microsoft decided to give you the MSN without the support of a Webcam and Video Conference (Are you thinking what I thought when I found that out? I was beyong P.O) Then again Microsoft DON'T CARE!.

Thanks Dave, for adding this forum. This would not only help others Apple User but bring a community and share ideas in how to help it ourselves.

Thank You!

MacBook Pro 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy, Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo T8700 - 2.53G, 8GB DDR3 1066, NVIDIA GForce 9400M 1280X800

HTPC 4G DDR3 XMS Corsair, Intel i5-750 Quad Core, 6ft HDMI Cable by Rosewill, AverMedia Tv Card, Gigabyte P55M-UD2,  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Vapor X Cooling, 500 HD Maxtor 7200 2.5 HDD, Asus Blu-Ray Optical Drive, 46" LED Toshiba TV

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 7:15 PM

I used to dislike Apple too but damn they make great laptops. There is a variety of things I like not limited to a Unix BASH shell and kernel, minimal malware, Quicksilver, spotlight, amazing battery life. The fusion of engineering and ergonomics is incredible. Even little touches are very useful like integrated dictionary and the swiss army functions of the utility folder. 

My position could be summed up as OS X for laptops and Windows 7 for desktops not counting any niches. 

Mint/Ubuntu, OS X and Windows 7 as OS's are all in the same league now though and the same is true for browsers. It isn't like years ago when there were substantial differences when choosing was really just balancing flaws against each other. Still a lot of the old stereotypes live on today and are perpetuated by young lads who want to sound knowledgeable and hold snobby opinions to aggrandize themselves.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator

"Can't we just get along?"

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Mon, Jan 11 2010 2:31 PM

Here is my user review of the Macbook pro 13.3”

Is hard to start a review without saying I love this laptop! but I really do, i have own numerous laptop and i have to say this one has giving me all the rights to say that I’m a laptop user.  For most of you who have known me in this forum, I have been a Microsoft die hard, i mean Microsoft for me was a company to worship.

Apple for me was something for geeks or graphic majors, my wife kept bugging the crap out of me to get her one. I even had a joke for her; Mac’s are only good for left handers (my wife is one). Then i switched my Blackberry to an I-Phone 3GS and it has grown on me.

One day i’m in the Apple store and i saw the Macbook Pro 13.3” and seriously i fell in love with it. So i bought one for my wife and, from there on, well let just say I have been using it any time i can; at least until the end of the month when i get my 15.4”. 

Now here are the things that i like about the laptop; the whole design is absolutely awesome: even the way you clean this laptop is easy. From the moment you boot up (take in mind this is my first time using a Apple) till the moment i started to figure out the headache i was in, it has been a awesome experience. 

My second favorite thing is that my son weights around 25 lbs. he is about to be 2 years old in few month and I have gotten so used to carrying him that every time i pick up this notebook it really doesn’t weigh anything. Seriously, if i had to compare it to something, i would compare it to a real notebook, the one with pages that we used to have back when we were in elementary or high school. 

The third and fourth thing that i love about is the damn adapter! I mean, for those who have or have had laptops, that stupid adapter that weighed 5 lbs. was a *** to carry. Apple made it easier to plug in and carry that adapter anywhere you go!  And lastly, i have to mention it, yes, the battery life!  Turn off the wifi and you seriously get 7-8 hours!!  What i noticed, for you to take the full advantage of the battery life you need to turn off the keyboard light and dim the LED to at least 2-3 bars.

BTW I’m using IWork09 which for me is easier than Office 09, most of you probably are saying ok, i’m sold!  I most warn you about a few problems.

Not with the Mac itself but with the programs that you are probably used to running in Windows, example; Microsoft Messenger, it runs perfectly, however, it does not have the support of a webcam.  According to many forums out there Microsoft is working on a new update (which will probably take ages to develop). I’m a big MIRC user and obviously MIRC does not make a Mac version, so you have to download something called IRCLE.

MacBook Pro 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy, Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo T8700 - 2.53G, 8GB DDR3 1066, NVIDIA GForce 9400M 1280X800

HTPC 4G DDR3 XMS Corsair, Intel i5-750 Quad Core, 6ft HDMI Cable by Rosewill, AverMedia Tv Card, Gigabyte P55M-UD2,  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Vapor X Cooling, 500 HD Maxtor 7200 2.5 HDD, Asus Blu-Ray Optical Drive, 46" LED Toshiba TV

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 15 2010 7:40 PM

I disliked Apple because I couldn't AFFORD an Apple and didn't understand them, having never used one.

I now have an Intel Extreme 24" iMac and I have to say it's VERY civilized. No surprises, no farts, burps, or hiccups either. It's almost boring how well it works. The OS is very full featured too.

But,.....My PC's are much better at games and gaming.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Fri, Jan 15 2010 9:05 PM

I would not argue that your pc based on your setup is a awesome piece of gaming, however for someone that came from the "PC world" i absolute love how simple the Mac are and that why people i guess like me enjoy the mac better :)

call it hazzle free or boring os heck i haven't had an issue yet with this one and i'm not looking for one either

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jan 24 2010 2:51 AM

Yeah; Mac's are great machines. I use PC's personally, mine are self built of course, and have been for years. But I also have a lotta experience on Mac's when I was younger, and I remember my room mate had a G3 I used as well quite a lot. They are good machines as for the laptops my brother uses nothing else and has for years. He also does music and multi media design as well professionally. His PRO is awesome and I have considered getting one as of late. Now that there about to drop that tablet I may.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 1:33 AM

I wonder if there will be any laptop updates tomorrow or if it will just be the tablet i-phone etc.?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

kid007, thanks for the review. I think the Macbook Air especially is a great piece of engineering. Reliable and faster than most other options out there. But if installing and running Windows 7 on your Macbook was as easy as you say, then it's a no brainer for me to recommend it to my family and friends.

@rapid1 Yep, the cat's out of the bag. It's a tablet and it's terrific! I made a post with all the leaked features in the Apple section of this forum.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 8:00 AM

Word in the Internet is saying that laptops are going get a refresh based on CPU. if this is true you should be looking at Core i3, i5 and i7 for the macbook pros.

if this is true then you should be looking a bit more of battery life which is already great having 7 hrs "according to the power source" for just surfing the internet and if you turn the wifi off and the shut down the led in the keyboard you are looking about 8 hours of working in page, numbers or keynote.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 8:06 AM

"t looks like Intel has, in fact, leaked the forthcoming availability of Core i5-powered MacBook Pros, whichmay appear at a rumored Apple media event believed to be scheduled for January 27 at Yerba Buena Arts Center. At any rate, it appears that the "when" question has been answered, which is to say, "soon."

As for the "how," though, we still don't have solid answers. Arrandale processors have an integrated graphics processor packaged inside along with the dual-core CPU, but Apple is unlikely to want to move back to using Intel's graphics. Though an MCM GPU may offer some useful power savings, it's not compatible with OpenCL, and we don't believe it would offer graphics performance worth the trade-off.

Apple most likely would adopt a tiered strategy like that used for the current iMacs—the 21.5" and base 27" models still use Core 2 Duo processors, while the 27" model is available with Core i5 or Core i7 processor options. So, base MacBook Pros may still use Core 2 Duo processors mated to an NVIDIA 9400M, while higher-end models would come equipped with Core i5 processors and discrete GPUs.

Rumors have suggested that Apple may demand a custom processor without the included GPU, which is doable, but we doubt Intel or Apple would go that route. However, the Core i5 processors at 32nm may offer enough power savings that including a discrete GPU in all MacBook Pros is still an option while maintaining the 7 hours of battery time of recent models." 

you could find more at http://arstechnica.com.  (sorry guys don't want to claim it as mine) 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 8:11 AM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700
gibbersome replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 10:31 AM

My brother just two days ago purchased a new IMac, the 27" one for $1700. Unfortunately today I saw the newer one for $1999, it has the Core i5 chip. I'll see if he can cancel the order.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 12:01 PM

i thought that the IMac had i7? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jan 28 2010 3:33 AM

My brother has used MacBook Pro's for quite some time exclusively. He loves them I just can't be locked down like that personally, but the do perform pretty well from what I've seen, battery life is great to. His big thing is also music production so kind of expected I guess.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

kid007:

Their top model does, but it costs around $2200 or so. The one my brother bought has a Core 2 Duo, quite dated for a $1700 system.

rapid1:

My brother has used MacBook Pro's for quite some time exclusively. He loves them I just can't be locked down like that personally, but the do perform pretty well from what I've seen, battery life is great to. His big thing is also music production so kind of expected I guess.

Lol, that makes sense. All the computers in the music/art labs at my school are Macs.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Mar 15 2010 7:58 PM

kid007:

An iMac with the Core i5-750 in it would be a killer machine. Especially with some good discrete graphics on-board.

I have that CPU in one of my PC's and it's got extremely healthy performance. I realize that the i7 is better, but not a LOT better than the i5-750.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 200
ddayjason replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 5:15 PM

I have the 1st-gen macbook 13 and I love it very much other than it warms during use. I really like cool laptop to work on. But the macbook is so beautiful that I enjoy it even with the "warmness" issue. I now use a software to manually increase my fan speed to help the laptop cool down.  BTW, I'm expecting to get my new Lenovo K320 with i3 core for work.  Although I don't care about PC any more in general, the shear processing prowess of the Lenovo desktop is still exciting. Big Smile

Hopefully, I can get an iMac for home use any time soon.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 5:30 PM

Yeah ddayjason my brother is a professional musician, and he uses nothing but macbook's. He has or had a PC, but he uses his Macbook Pro's for everything I think he is on the current model now.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Wed, Mar 17 2010 5:48 PM

Since I started this thread all I've read are positive things about this product and I will like to add one more, my almost 2 year old kiddo got a hold of the macbook pro 13.3" and dropped it 2x, he is about 3' 2" and to be honest with you this beast still work. Both edges are bang up but hey everything else work. I remember when i dropped my XPS 1330 and i had to replace it...

This has been a great investment and hopefully Apple would maintain the reliability of this product.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

I really don't see why people argue over PC vs Mac... It's pointless and I can't imagine how much time people waste arguing over this topic. 

PC is for gaming, no one can argue over that... How many Mac games are there compared to PC games? Not many..

And many people say MAC don't have viruses.. This isn't true, as all computers have viruses.. Although MACS have far less viruses than PC but that's ONLY because there are WAY more people with PCs than Macs. 

And yes, I also love the Macbook Pros.. I still can't believe no one has ever made an aluminum unibody (PC) laptop. But thankfully Apple has.

No one thing I really praise is how beautiful Apple laptops are. They are designed beautifully with no compromises. They've got great battery life because of Snow Leopard yet are great performers too. I once had a Unibody Macbook Pro (The one with 2 GPUs). I played EVE Online with all settings on MAX. Although it's not the most demanding game of all time, certainly not like Crysis, but it still goes to show how powerful of a laptop Apple can create despite being 1/2" thick. 

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS