Asus Ion-Powered Eee PC 1201N Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,935
Points 1,118,455
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 17 2009 11:55 AM

Asus Ion-Powered Eee PC 1201N ReviewThe proliferation of NVIDIA's Ion GPU has been a long time coming. We've been talking about its merits for the better part of this year, but only recently has it been able to find its way into more than a handful of mainstream, shipping netbooks. We recently had a look at HP's Mini 311 with Windows 7 Home Premium, and while the Ion definitely enabled smooth HD playback where it was previously impossible with a paltry 1.6GHz Atom N270 and Intel IGP, the CPU bottleneck held back the entire system. Today, however, we're taking a look at a much more powerful system.

Asus has come a long way since the launch of its original Eee PC. 7" and 8" netbooks are no longer the norm, and the availability of 12" netbooks is on the rise. The newest member of the stylish Seashell lineup is the Eee PC 1201N, which easily bests any other netbook we've tested in terms of specifications. It's also one of the larger netbooks out, blurring the line between the netbooks of old and the ultraportables of today. Featuring a 12.1" HD display, dual-core Atom 330 CPU, 2GB of DDR2 RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium, an HDMI output and NVIDIA's Ion GPU technology, there's not much to dislike about the newest Eee PC based on its build sheet...

Asus Ion-Powered Eee PC 1201N Review

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Thu, Dec 17 2009 4:54 PM

Nice little machine - good review!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,341
Points 48,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Dec 17 2009 11:13 PM

I may have to buy one of these. Has everything I want in a machine--would just like a little more powerful CPU.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 1,430
Xylem replied on Fri, Dec 18 2009 2:36 AM

I was only hoping this would eventually. But I remember Intel saying its atom 330 was a DESKTOP ONLY proc!! ;)

Travel Rig |Acer Aspire One - ZG5 Mods so far |Toshiba MK4009GAL 40GB.4 - port USB HUB with BT, Touchscreen & GPS. 1GB RAM upgrade. | 

Main Rig |Core 2 Quad Q6600(3.2GHz), 2x2GB OCZ Reaper 800 MHz RAM, 19" AOC 913FW, 2 x 500GB WD HDD & 2 x 1TB WD Green, nVIDIA 8600GT 1GB

Suzuki Swift GTi | 2008 Version | Lots of mods in pipeline.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
bouloumag replied on Fri, Dec 18 2009 9:40 AM

I am a linux fan and from the product specification I think this netbook should work fine. However I cannot find any information on the chipset of the wireless network card. In the past I have had trouble with the proprietary Broadcom linux driver, so I prefer to stay away from their products. Would it be possible to know what is the name of the chipset manufacturer of this netbook and it's model number please?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Fri, Dec 18 2009 12:30 PM

Hehe... we'd like them all to be as powerful as our desktops... but I think this is quite reasonable for a machine that should mostly be used for work and word processing.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Fri, Dec 18 2009 12:38 PM

Great question, Christine.

I too am curious about this. Maybe Marco could boot the machine from a Linux LiveCD (recommend trying Ubuntu and Knoppix) and tell us if it works - and if not, give us the "lspci -v" output so that we can figure out if we can make it work.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Habeed replied on Fri, Dec 18 2009 7:33 PM

How does this machine perform when playing back generic x264 codec files that people tend to release content on the internet as?  Does the Ion GPU acceleration help with that?  For instance, you can playback nearly anything with vlc media player, including just about everything encoded in x264 codecs and packed as a *.avi or *.mkv file.  But does this netbook perform adequately when playing back 1080p movies in this codec?

The other big challenge is HD youtube videos.  Those use flash media player, which I'm not sure if it has any hardware acceleration at all.  How does the netbook perform when playing those back?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,341
Points 48,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Mon, Dec 21 2009 6:36 PM

Ufortunately, I didn't write this review and the author is away for the holidays.  If he's still got the machine when he get's back I'll have him check out which network adapter it's using...

As for HD video playback with Ion, it all works fine, including Flash as long as you use the latest Flash beta which uses GPU acceleration.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 59
Points 1,055
LaMpiR replied on Mon, Dec 28 2009 7:38 PM

Excellent review guys, this look like something usable for me.

Did you try hdmi output to 1080p? Would it affect performance?

Also, no webcam info? Any chance of few secs recorded on it? I use skype a lot.

I'm comparing it to 

MSI Wind12 L2100-036US and I like the Asus one better :D

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

That has got to be the MOST in depth review i have ever seen!  wowza!  (and take it from me, who has read just about EVERY review on EVERY laptop!)  One quaetion:  why are there 4 processors lised for the Asus 1201N?  in the device manager?

What an awesome review!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700
gibbersome replied on Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:53 PM

Agreed, great review Shawn! Alot of discerning insights and very in depth.

The $500 price tag is nice, but I feel the lines are being blurred between a netbook and a small laptop. For a 12.1" you can spring for the HP tx2 series which would include a multi-touch screen, much better processor, graphics, etc for a few hundred dollars more. Unfortunately the quality sucks...

"For the same weight, you can get a more spacious machine here with more power under the hood."

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

Unfortunately the quality of which one s*cks?  (Hopefully u meant the HPtx2) i had that if you mean the Touchsmart and i hated it.  It was soooo thick, the touchscreen worked when it wanted to, it wasn't a very bright screen (even with brightness all the way up) was only a 1280 x 800 res and wasn't expandable past 4 GB (the model i had anyway, but that was almost 2 years ago, but i notice a lot of the specs are still the same.  Who knows, maybe they improved it, but that would cost DOUBLE this one!

But any idea about my orig question?  Why does it show 4 (four) processors under the Device Manager for the Asus 1201N?

t/y!  :)

Dumm

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
xMoc replied on Fri, May 7 2010 3:48 PM

This baby is sweet!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS