Google's Chrome Web Browser Finally Arrives On Mac And Linux

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,210,010
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 9 2009 10:39 PM
As Google continues on its path to world domination, it's more thanjust Offline Gmail and Chrome OS getting attention. Just in time forthe holidays, Google has announced that its Chrome Web browser is nowavailable (in beta form, of course) for those "other" operatingsystems. You know, Mac and Linux! We kid, we kid.

Chrome has only been out for a few months over on the Windows side, andwhile it hasn't garnered the kind of following that Firefox has quiteyet, we're guessing it will only be a matter of time before thosefigures start to go Google's way. Google is attempting to bring a"first-class browser for the Mac," and given that Apple itself isdabbling in the browser world with Safari, we're confident thatCupertino will take issue with that challenge. The company has statedthat it's "proud" of the speed seen on the Mac side, and we're toldthat on most modern Macs, the browser launches before the icon even hastime to bounce once in the dock.

For more details on this beta release of Google Chrome for Mac, read on in the Google Mac blog or watch this video from one of our engineers, Mike Pinkerton:

As for Linux, the Chrome Beta also aims for speed, stability andsecurity, and that means tight integration with native GTK themes.Naturally, the open source community has helped out a lot here, and incase that wasn't enough, Google is also launching extensions for Linusand Windows (in Beta). As of now, over 300 extensions are available,and if that grows larger, you can expect quite a few individuals thatare used to using Firefox extensions to give this one a try. In fact,why don't you? Are any of you Mac/Linux users thinking of giving this adownload? It's free, after all.

Just as important, we've had quite a bit of help from the open sourcecommunity. More than 50 open source contributors have worked on Chromium and they've been especially helpful on delivering our Linux version of Google Chrome. For more details on the beta release of Google Chrome for Linux, check out the Chromium blog.

If you're on a PC or a Linux machine, you can check out more than 300 extensions in the gallery, including a few cool, useful and cute extensions. Extensions aren't quite beta-quality on Mac yet, but you will be able to preview them on a developer channel soon. And if you're a web developer, you can learn more about writing extensions for Google Chrome on the Chromium blog.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 24,775
digitaldd replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 10:01 AM

The one thing that might have me using Chrome more are the extensions now available for the dev builds. flashbock is definitely needed in Chrome.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

News:
Are any of you Mac/Linux users thinking of giving this a download?

Oh yeah. I actually love Chrome. FF still rains king on my desktop, but when I am on my netbook in Win 7 I always use Chrome. I'm going to grab my netbook and install it under Ubuntu Netbook Remix now.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 1:23 PM

Hey bob have you upgraded Ubuntu to 9.10?

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah did the in place upgrade. Worked like a charm and UNR 9.10 looks super sleek.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 4:38 PM

I installed Chrome a couple of days back. I've only used it a couple of times though: The Adblock extensions aren't as nice as FF's yet. I like to unblock specific sites, like HH, where I don't find the ads to be intrusive or irrelevant. Also: There's no equivalent to the FireFTP extension. :(

64-bit Chrome with working Flash 10 (alpha) - on Kubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 (alpha1) w/KDE4.4 (beta1) desktop.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955
mhenriday replied on Fri, Dec 11 2009 9:42 AM

Great browser, splendid work by the developers ; too bad, however, that the Linux team didn't post a YouTube video like their Mac counterparts ! In any event, at the rate this is going, I'm soon going to have to give serious consideration to making Chromium my default browser on 64-bit Ubuntu Karmic. If only I could get my Delicious bookmarks to open in a sidepanel, as in Firefox !...

Henri

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Thu, Dec 17 2009 8:51 AM

There was an updated beta version of Chrome in Google's Debian repo's today, bringing it from version 4.0.249.30-r33928 to 4.0.249.43-r34537.  The unstable/testing version is currently at 4.0.266.0-r3399.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS