Olive 4HD Music Server Caters To The (Rich) Audiophile

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,235
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Nov 21 2009 10:49 AM
Love your music? No, we mean do you really, really love your music? If you're willing to pay to prove it, Olive has a new music server just for you. The all new 4HD is a specialized, high-end server designed to stream tunes from its internal hard drive out onto whatever high-end speaker setup you have, and the integrated Gigabit Ethernet socket + 802.11n Wi-Fi module enable it to send/receive signals over a home network.

The main feature here (aside from the 2TB of internal storage space) is the ability to offer sound quality up to 250 times the resolution of a standard CD. Of course, the human ear probably can't tell the difference, but it's the numbers that count, right? The 4HD has a proprietary high-resolution Digital-Analog-Converter (DAC), featuring Texas Instrument's 192khz/24-bit Burr-Brown PCM1792A.

It also ships with an integrated optical drive for playback and ripping to the HDD, and better still, the HDMI socket enables on-screen music navigation on your HDTV. Oh, and Olive also a free iPhone/iPod Touch application that allows users to control the HD Hi-Fi Music Server from anywhere within the home network. Handy, no? The only problem here is the $1999 asking price, which is likely "steep" by most anyone's definition.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 4,730

fffff-woah! That is ALOT of cash to throw down for a music server.

AMD X6 1100T - MSI 750-G55 - 16GB Patriot Viper II - nVidia GTX 470 - SB XFi Titanium>JVC A-X9>JBL Control Monitor 4312A

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

If my ears can't the difference, then what's the point...oh wait, it's for rich people since their ears are much more sensitive than mine.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 10:19 AM

Gibbersome, you crack me up!

Ha!

Buying this means that you have much more money than sense. I do most of what this does with an old Linux box that doesn't have the 'Ass' to run windows. It runs Linux quite handily though and serves music to a whole house FM transmitter in stereo. That is good enough for me. I can turn on the Living room's Bose system, the Bedroom's Onkyo Surround Sound System, and the JBL Creature-II sound system on the Linux box, all at one time and all tuned to the same station that I'm broadcasting on, and fill the whole house with my favorite tunes. It sounds damn good too. All of this using a retired computer and a cheap transmitter. (100 Bucks)

The transmitter can be found here: www.WholeHouseFMTransmitter.com

I caught my neighbor listening to it the other day. He said that there was a great new radio station but that only he could get it in his garage and his cars when they were park outside of it. He couldn't understand why it was only receiving in his garage area, but said that he'd never heard a station with no commercials before! He said it was probably some kind of atmospheric abnormally that was getting the signal to just him,.......LOL!

I used my recorder and made an MP3 file News Report, talking about him!! and saying things that no station would ever know about him!  It was the only news broadcast he had ever heard on his favorite station and it was all about him and the girl he had just broken up with and the fact that he spends more time working on his truck than driving it.

It freaked him out.                            I told him what was really happening the next day.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
JFK replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 1:26 PM

I swear that when you have more money than you know what to do with you lose all common sense - the only reason products like this or a diamond encrusted cell phone exist. Anyway, I have a Sonos system and it does more than this product for half the cost. True it does not store the music on the platform itself but that really is a non issue as far as I'm concerned. The interface on the Sonos is great to use and the convenience can't be beat. This thing has a market I guess but if you are somewhat intelligent I think you will know a better option when you see it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 2:28 PM

Wow... I gotta agree with you guys.

I spent less than half the cost building my whole arcade cabinet - and it can do everything this can on top of its normal functions. Like RealNeil, it's running Linux - which means it's dirt-easy to control remotely. I have the audio hooked to the house stereo and will just remotely launch a player from any other Linux desktop via ssh -X.

ROFLMAO at your prank RealNeil - I think that we'd get along famously if we were neighbors.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS