Kubuntu/Xubunut/Ubuntu 9.10

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 Posted: Thu, Oct 29 2009 9:26 PM

Kubuntu 9.10 was released today, as well as the other Ubuntu 9.10 flavors (Xubuntu, Ubuntu).

Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzajPDcJJ5A) of one of the alpha's leading up to this release, if you're not familiar with the KDE desktop.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Thu, Oct 29 2009 11:23 PM

...pending.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Awesome stuff. I just upgraded my netbook to Ubuntu Netbook Remix(UNR) a little bit ago. Wiped it clean and installed it over my whole drive. Figured the Window 7 RC was going to run out soon enough anyway.

Major improvements to the UI in UNR. Looks amazing and feels a bit faster. So far nothing borked. I have not spent any time with the alpha/beta/RC so I was surprized by the changes. Going to upgrade my desktop tomorrow.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Fri, Oct 30 2009 2:43 PM

That looks pretty sweet!

Are there improvements to RAM requirements/usage for the Gnome desktop with the Netbook Remix, or is it just a graphical look/theme thing?  I ask because I was planning on using XFCE or LXDE on my Pandora, but I really like the way that remix looks - and it would probably be easier to navigate.

I know I could get the whole of Gnome to load fine (as it does on the 256MB PS3), but I prefer to avoid any swap access.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Oct 31 2009 2:16 PM

BTW:  I'm not sure if anyone's testing and run into the bug where Flash apps aren't clickable (there are certain pre-requisites:  I think you have to be using compiz+compositing on 64-bit), but there's an easy fix:  download the new 64-bit flash beta and uninstall the flashplugin-installer package.  Place libflashplugin.so in the proper plugins directory and you're good to go.  Two of my four systems had this issue and were fixed in this manner.

The only other bug I've noted has to do with keyboard repeat taking affect within flash and Windows games running under Wine - normally those apps wouldn't see the key repeats, because they attempt to poll the hardware in a more direct manner.  The problem is actually a bug in Xorg that has already been fixed, and will disappear when the repo packages are updated.  The workaround is simple.  in your keyboard preferences, turn off keyboard repeat before playing those games.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

3vi1:
Are there improvements to RAM requirements/usage for the Gnome desktop with the Netbook Remix,

Honestly I am not sure. I can install Ubuntu desktop on it and compare, but I most likely won't get it done till the weekend. I only have 1GB or ram and no swap partition. From a cold boot I just opened system monitor and it is using 170MB.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS