Nelson's Extreme design

This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
nelsoncp21 Posted: Thu, Oct 29 2009 7:16 PM

Sorry no fancy name for this concept. So after going over this for a couple days in my head I came to the realization that this board is already loaded with features and stuff to make it unique. So coming up with a creative idea to enhance an already very creative design by Asus wasn't easy especially considering I wouldn't have several months to put together an extensive mod. This would have to be something I could do very easily and also on the cheap. My proposal is to make this features simple to use and to get to. Nothing is more annoying then to constantly taking the side off your case and fiddling inside that cramped space to use some of these on the fly features like the Memok and the overvoltage switch. Some cases come with removable MB trays but you still have to disconnect just about everything to pull it out and you certainly can't do it with the system still running. Some like to use open air cases for this reason. While not a bad idea, they don't exactly protect your components and aren't a good idea for lan parties.

My concept is simple. Install rollers and mount the MB tray to them so you can just slid the tray out the back of the case with everything still connected. Heck you don't even need to turn off your system. Even something as simple as adding ram or expansion cards just became even simpler. This would not require a great deal of modding. The key though is arranging everything mainly the cabling as to not damage any components or come loose when opening or closing the tray. Yes it can be done and without the case being a cluttered mess. To prove it I will do it with a clear acrylic case in which you can see everything. Provided I make the top 20 of course.

The case I picked for this is the Sunbeam UFO case. I would need to cutout the back part of the case that I want to slide out with the MB tray (I/O shield and expansion slots). I then would remove the MB tray and and also cut the 5.25" bays down a bit. I would then install the roller arms on the sides and mount the MB tray to it. A couple little more mods here and there to secure the cables to the MB tray so they don't come unplugged during motion and thats it. Plain and simple. I could easily do the same adding watercooling or even use a metal case both of which would require a little more time and money. Unfortunately both of them I would be short of for this project.

Oh and as far as helping me and my system daily this board just rocks with tons of features for me to play with. Mainly overclocking and stability. Who couldn't use that!

So here's a "rough" sketch of the "extensive" amount of work it would take.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

Nelson its looking real good cant wait to see the end result.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,590
Points 54,905
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Nov 1 2009 1:25 AM

Nelson, great stuff.   We're watching bud.  Keep it going!Yes

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Thanks guys. I guess now is the waiting game huh.

Dave, you said "keep it going", am I suppose to be doing something else?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 8:43 AM

Good luck in Stage II!

Geeked

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS