ASUS Xtreme Design Contest Update!

This post has 83 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Nov 2 2009 5:58 AM

Seiryuu (青龍) (aka Azure Dragon)

Concept

The inspiration for this project was Japan. I had a bunch of ideas, but I finally settled on one. I was inspired by this cool Japanese ramen restaurant that I went to a year ago. I wanted to incorporate some of the design elements into a case mod. The only problem was that less than half the case was modded. I figured that if I came up with my own name for a ramen restaurant, so I could draw some ideas from the kanji and its meaning to design the rest of the case. I wanted it to have something to do with my s/n (Ryu), which means dragon. Also, since I like blue and I would probably use it to light up my case, I wanted that in the name too. So I came up with Azure Dragon. This is my xtreme Seiryuu ramen case mod.

Warning: I have no experience with SketchUp and I don't have the time to learn at this moment so excuse the horrible pictures. I just took an existing model and pasted textures over it.

Since this case mod began from being inspired by ramen, I am going to dedicate a whole side panel to ramen. As you can hopefully see in the picture below, I am going to make a small display case so that I can put REAL instant ramen inside. Before I go any further, this ramen place was legit. They didn't use instant ramen in their dishes. Back on topic now.

Since the ramen window looks kind of plain, I'm going to cut a dragon out of the metal I cut out for the window and attach it to the plexi. It will be "floating" in the middle of the plexi; the dragon design will not be touching the metal part of the side panel.

I haven't settled on a dragon design yet, but I kind of like this one so far. I have a better picture (one that I actually took) but it is archeived somewhere. When I went to Japan, I took a picture of it, but I'm too lazy to look for it so I searched online. Anyways, since it isn't set in stone yet. There are a few other Japanese dragon art that I am considering.

On the top of the case, I am basically going to make a static window shutter design. That means it won't open and close. I'm going to do this out of wood. I will have small wooden boards that will be attached at an angle. Then I'm going to place 2 lights/LEDs so they only hit parts of the shutter to create that cool light effect. I want to achieve that gradient like effect with the light.

For the front of the case, I wanted to do something that would add another Japanese element that is more well known. I decided to place a "noren." These are Japanese fabric dividers that are usually seen over doors at the entrance of restaurants. For this case mod, mine will have one slit and the design will most likely be the name of this ramen restaurant, Seiryuu. I would like to learn how to sew one so that it looks nice. I really want to avoid cutting the kanji out of the fabric and just sewing it straight on another piece of fabric. But if I can't get access to good information and the needed resources, I might have to resort that that... As for what I am going to do behind it, that is a "secret" (aka I haven't decided yet). It might just be optical drives or it might be something nicer looking like "shoji" (those doors/walls/dividers made out of rice paper). Maybe I can do a nice metal name plate with a nice glow if I can't make a custom noren.

For the left side of the case, I wanted a window in which you can see the hardware inside. But it is a bit boring, so to make it more interesting, I want to attempt to frost the same dragon design that will be used on the other side panel. This frosted dragon plexi window will be lit up by some blue LEDs. Inside the case, I was thinking about make a tatami mat floor using some cheap imitation tatami (if I can easily find some).

Oh, a little note about the side panels. I don't know what would look better concerning the side should the ramen side panel be on. If I put it on the left side (assuming you are facing the optical drive bays and front panel) the hardware would not be visible. BUT, there would be more room to work with in building a shallow display case for the instant ramen to sit in. OR, I could take the extra step and make the side panels interchangeable. We'll see....

Goals:

The goal of this system was to use materials that are not traditionally used with case modding. I am also aiming for a more contemporary style which I don't usually see these days. With some creativity, I wanted to pull off new things that people never thought of before.

Challenges:

I hope this doesn't hurt my chances, but this is going to be my first mod ever. I know this competition was designed to eventually show off a case mod at CES. So even though I am jumping into the world of modding with no prior experience, I have followed a highly talented online modding community; I have followed work logs; and have learned from them. I plan on making this case mod a reality despite my inexperience.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 685

Allow me to introduce my submission to the Asus xtreme design contest. Good luck!

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/45493.aspx

ottoyu34

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 165

hi all i hope this is one of the wining design i have design i give it the name of X design i hope you like it and be wining like all and asus is one of the big company and always had an new  Ideas of the miraculous :) modscases.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Wed, Nov 4 2009 8:33 PM

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 115
Ragafoo replied on Wed, Nov 4 2009 11:52 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Ever since I was young i had a fascination with computers, especially fixing them (both software and hardware). Many of my friends know about my love for computers saying things “Oh Reggie he’s obsessed with computers” or ask my things why you are so fascinated with computers.  I designed this setup just to answer that question. I would love to make people understand what I am saying when I relate to parts of the computer to the human body, showing how many components perform similar functions that human organs do. With this setup I could individually show the complex matrix that is usually hidden away from the average Joe in a “box with some fans”.  I could directly show people what component does what and how it connects with the other through the motherboard. There a certain beauty displaying a passion of ours, computers, as art.

I have been a fan of Asus since I built my first completely custom rig based on an Asus m2n32 deluxe, and quickly found out how incredible this mother board was! After that I was hooked I purchased an Asus laptop (A8js) and numerous other Asus products since then, I feel that the people at Asus engineers such beautiful and functional motherboards that they need to be displayed in a more dramatic fashion than and computer case’s side window.

I would use this Rig for 3D modeling, (masters student in urban design), quite a bit of gaming (my Astarte’s are not gonna blow up their selves), programming, and general tomfoolery that I love to do with computers. The features of the P55 are of course drool worthy to any over clocker like myself and needless to say the rig will be able to handle my gaming and work, simultaneously hehe….

The components of this Rig are:

Antec Quattro 850 Watt PSU

G.Skill TDS series Memory

X’s  2 ASUS GTX260 GPUs

Samsung 128GB SSD drives

Western digital VelociRaptor HD

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition

X’s 2 LG DVD RW drives

Logitech G110 Keyboard

Logitech Wireless Speaker system

Razer Mamba Mouse

X’s 2 ASUS VW246H Black 24" lcd monitors

Custom box with power button, reset button, cardreader, and usb ports.

More images can be found at : http://www.flickr.com/photos/26499918@N06/sets/72157622612651069/

Edit: Ahh! some of my pictures have been truncated please go to the link above to see them in fullest

Edit: 2 link now working correctly

P.S Thanks! for the extension i have been busy all week and though i would miss my dead line!

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

that looks awesome

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

lol I didn't even realize there was an issue. Thanks though Big Smile.

So I finally signed up for facebook but I am not seeing what I am suppose to do there. Is there something on ASUS's "official page" that I am suppose to click on. Did I even really have to join facebook for this contest?

you dont HAVE to but it is easier for me to keep track of whos submitted something.  plus it gives you and hothardware more exposure and people can check out your design.

you can post here:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=315017200108&index=1

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,619
Points 55,175
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:05 PM

Folks, we've update the contest requirements to make it a bit easier and extended the date for Stage 1 as well!  Check out the contest rules above!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

XtremeDesign:

lol I didn't even realize there was an issue. Thanks though Big Smile.

So I finally signed up for facebook but I am not seeing what I am suppose to do there. Is there something on ASUS's "official page" that I am suppose to click on. Did I even really have to join facebook for this contest?

you dont HAVE to but it is easier for me to keep track of whos submitted something.  plus it gives you and hothardware more exposure and people can check out your design.

you can post here:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=315017200108&index=1

Thanks. I got your message on facebook and posted in the appropriate area. This really is an awesome contest here. Thanks for including HH and it's members in it. Asus has been on the ball for awhile now with some great enthusiats class products. It's good to see ya'll takin care of the little guys. Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Goal

The goal for my build is to create the ideal gaming computer for LAN and long session gaming, a computer that is easily transported from one place to another, provide all of the commodities needed for a LAN setting. Not only will the computer only be used for gaming it will also double as a home theatre system.

Use of Hybrid Processor

The Auto Tuning that the Turbo V second processor is perfect for right before a LAN party. To make sure your computer is in top condition for the night and don’t have enough time to tune it yourself, then just throw on the Auto Tuning and keep on getting ready for the night.

The real time O.C. tuning tool will allow crucial O.C. setting changes when you do have the time before a LAN party and during it to boost your computers performance so your computer can easily handle the stress of any game you throw at it.

The Turbo Key is a must have when you also use your computer for school and/or work, when O.C. is not needed. So perfect for when you are getting that midterm essay done for your English class and your buddy calls up for a quick game, just throw the Turbo Key and your off gaming.

The TurboV Remote is perfect for fine in-game adjustments you might have forgotten to make before you started your game or before heading off to the LAN party. Easily change your settings when you need them the most.

Use Hybrid OS

Perfect for when you need to quickly check your gaming forums online and you don’t have the time to fully boot your computer. Easily access the internet to get on top of the newest strategies for your favorite games.

Use of Hybrid Phase

Stability when you need it most in your hardware is when you are overclocking your PC for gaming. The Hybrid Phase gives the PC better power efficiency and stability so it is tuned to the perfect settings for when you start gaming.

Design

The design of this computer is to provide the player with anything that they may need while gaming. Whether it is at a LAN party, or at your own house gaming for an extended amount of time. This would include; but not limited to Food, drink, and whatever an imaginative mind can muster. Also the design requires that it is easily moved from one place to another, and can take the beating from being transported from point A to point B.

As far as the case is concerned I will be fabricating my own out of steel sheet metal. Then depending on the rigidity of the case I may build an internal frame or I may leave it as an exoskeleton case with some mounting brackets inside for the motherboard, PSU, HDD, CD drives, etc. there will be handles on top of the case to provide easy handling when transporting the computer. I will be putting a simple vending mechanism into the case that can dispense a beverage and/or a small snack. Thought the vending mechanism will not be cooled due to space/portability issues. I will be mounting power strips and a wireless router on the side of the case so that when at a LAN party there is no need for the series of ridiculously long extension or Ethernet cables running throughout the house. The router will be able to retreat into the case so that the little antenna will not have the chance of being busted off compromising your wireless signal. The side of the case that usually is not utilized because the motherboard is mounted on it will be used by putting buttons or latches on it so that you can snap a carrying case onto the side of it; providing a nice carrying case for your keyboard, mouse, cords, headphones, or whatever you will need for the LAN part. Liquid cooling is an option depending on how the budget looks when nearing the end of my build because I don’t want to have to throw in some sub-par cooling system because the budget ran out. The hardware used in this build include the Asus p7p55d Premium motherboard, Intel i7 Processor, Antec 850w PSU, G.SKILL RAM and heatsink, two Asus GTX260 video cars, Samsung 128GB SSD drive, and other components I have in my possession are going to be used as well as the items listed above. Now here are some Drawings…

DSC01779.JPG.aspx

DSC01780.JPG.aspx

DSC01781.JPG.aspx

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 310
zads replied on Wed, Nov 11 2009 8:36 PM

Teaser pic, more 3D renders in my thread:

My design, fully conceptualized, designed and optimized in Solidworks 3D CAD.

Introducing..
Ultra-slim HTGPC (Home Theater Gaming PC).

Fully customizable and upgradeable, designed for high performance and reliability without all the excess bulk of traditional gaming PC cases.

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/45589/341517.aspx

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
moon replied on Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:52 PM

I've been building systems for ten years, my first was a Pentium III with MMX, an ATI GPU and a dependable Asus motherboard. Then a Pentium IV with HyperThreading on a quality high end Asus motherboard.

Lucky to be one of the first System Builders to usher in 64 bit computing with the Athlon 64 and it pared well with an Asus motherboard.
When the Phenom processor was announced I assembled a quad-core system with two ATI GPU's in CrossFireX on a Asus motherboard. 

Now that the Core I7 processor is available along with the Intel P55 chipset, I'm ready to upgrade.  A few weeks ago I saw a system built in an Antec Skeleton and marveled at it's unique design and unprecedented airflow, It's remarkably silent while the fans are at low speed and I can't wait to add an Asus P7P55D Xtreme Design SLI-Certified motherboard with three GPU's, the ASUS GTX260 and two comparable Nvidia cards and I'm going to utilize Drive Xpert in RAID structure with the Samsung 128GB SSD drive and a 1TB capacity Samsung Spinpoint F1 Drive.  The 2 dim 4 gig G.Skill DDR3-2300 memory kit  will give the performance needed till the price of DDR3 drops and we'll add a additional 4 Gig kit.

This amazing system will power a workstation for video encoding and editing with four 24" LCD monitors.  10 Channel Audio is going to enable an entertainment system of ten speakers with DTS Surround Sensation and a large screen LCD HD TV. I listen to music all day long and love to watch HD video, movies and sports with friends and family. 

The Razer Lycosa keyboard and Deathadder mice will complement this Xtreme Design nicely.

I'm especially excited to share the story of assembling a group of components, connecting them together into a system, adding power, formatting a disk and then booting up Windows 7 Ultimate while capturing it all on video and Tweeting it to the world My biggest challenge is to tell the story of designing and bringing a system to life to a large audience of people who are just beginning to see their lives transformed by computers. Thanks Asus for quality electrons and this oppertunity.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 115
Ragafoo replied on Thu, Nov 12 2009 11:55 PM

Update:

A few more details, I have not modeled in  A cpu cooler, so just picture in Xigmatek Dark night in there, or maybe a Coolermaster V8.

I have now added Plexiglass cover to the motherboard, this will allow 2 thing protection from elements and a place to mount some Fans for additional cooling if needed. I am considering adding LED's, cant say i am too big of a fan of them though, if I do add them to this build there will definitely be an off switch.

About the Little box on the table, this will be where teh system is turned on and reset , 2 or 3 USB ports and audio jacks.I am leaning torwards attaching an

Aero cool Touch 200 Controller Panel, i think it would look fantastic with this system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999198

Below you like find a part description if it was unclear before along with a few more renders.

Renders

Feel free to checkout  these collections of images and more at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26499918@N06/sets/72157622612651069/

Thanks and Good luck to everyone

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
Well today is the day ya'll. Good luck to everyone and I expect to see some new worklogs started here shortly.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,619
Points 55,175
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Nov 13 2009 8:22 AM

Good luck all!  Big Smile

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 175

Good luck all!!!

-=Craig "Tech-Daddy" Tate

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:40 PM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

The winners have not officially been anounced. Some people have been contacted as possible canidates but nothing has been officially announced. I believe the people contacted were to see if they were eligible to proceed. I am sure if anyone who is not then they would choose someone else. So until it is officially announced I would not get my hopes up or down. Of course I am not running this contest I can only speak from my experience and what I have read.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

nelson you are correct, we are still deciding and no one has officially won. stay tuned as we will list the winners bit by bit as we finalize the winners.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
nelsoncp21 replied on Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:15 PM

Congrats to DuoPlus. Looks like your the first here at HH to get announced. All the winners have not been announced yet so keep checking facebook.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 100
DuoPlus replied on Fri, Nov 13 2009 11:05 PM

Thank You, Looks like I'm have to go to work. 

Good Luck to everyone.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

yeah looks like your going to be very busy for the next month. Kinda surprised that only 5 of the 20 have been announced. "THE SUSPENSE". Big Smile

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 342
Points 4,510
slugbug replied on Sat, Nov 14 2009 2:01 PM

Here's hoping they pick winners from all participating sites.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 310
zads replied on Sat, Nov 14 2009 4:43 PM

nelsoncp21:

yeah looks like your going to be very busy for the next month. Kinda surprised that only 5 of the 20 have been announced. "THE SUSPENSE". Big Smile

Yeah wooohooo I just got picked!!!

I was checking the facebook page incessantly last night to see if they would post more names!

I guess Asus is looking over those submissions thoroughly or maybe they are just building suspense ;)

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 175

Yeah, I am betting it is a little of both!

Congratulations!

-=TD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

there seems to be a large gap in time from when they announce winners. I wonder if they are gonna wait and send out all the gear at the same time. Right now 5 winners have a 2 day head start over the other winners. I know for me personally I am not spending money on hardware towards this unless I know for sure if I won. So if I get announced at say #20 I will be at a huge disadvantage over some of the first who got announced. I would be gratefull either way but I am thinking it may have been a little fairer to announce everyone at the same time.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sun, Nov 15 2009 7:15 PM

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 310
zads replied on Mon, Nov 16 2009 2:25 AM

eunoia:

nelsoncp21 wrote the following post at Sun, Nov 15 2009 5:07 PM:

"there seems to be a large gap in time from when they announce winners. I wonder if they are gonna wait and send out all the gear at the same time. Right now 5 winners have a 2 day head start over the other winners. I know for me personally I am not spending money on hardware towards this unless I know for sure if I won. So if I get announced at say #20 I will be at a huge disadvantage over some of the first who got announced. I would be gratefull either way but I am thinking it may have been a little fairer to announce everyone at the same time."

+1

Glad to read I'm not the only one who gets this.  I wasn't wrong when I predicted time and meticulous planning would be a major factor.

I agree with this to some extent, but I am pretty sure they will send everything out at once.
I am posted as a winner on the FB site, but haven't heard any further email (or otherwise) correspondence from ASUS.
I still have to decide where I will source some components from, what final design I should settle on, etc,.
Due to the dimension tolerances my system requires, I probably won't start cutting and fabricating my system until after I receive my parts, and have a chance to double check their critical dimensions with my CAD model.

While you probably don't want to buy the supporting system components for your build before being announced as a winner, you can still research the best price sources for your system components, prepare some window etching designs, do some extra planning, etc,. This is all risk-free (besides your free time), so you will be ready to start on day 1 if they announce you as a winner. Otherwise, you can always just use the research/design material for your current/future builds (outside of the contest).

Good luck to everyone still waiting for a response!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Mon, Nov 16 2009 6:56 AM

All my research, planning, design, budget and production schedule was done by Nov. 4, the original deadline.  I thought that was the idea behind this contest.

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

Hey guys, just a quick update, we are still looking over entries. All winners WILL have at least 30 days to build and blog about their build. We are currently getting delayed shipments in prizes so we will extend the dates accordingly once all the prizes are received, winners picked, and prizes sent out.

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 685
ottoyu34 replied on Mon, Nov 16 2009 4:10 PM

I'm wondering where would we post the work logs for this forum??

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

It would probably be best to post in the contest section assuming they are gonna leave this section up for the duration. Or should we post in the new build section guys? Looks like I am in so gotta order the case and OS tonight. Hopefully I can have the case done before the hardware arrives so I can get straight to testing out this new gear right away. Congrats to the other winners announced so far. Looks like HH has gotten a good share of the wins so far. 8 more slots. Hope there are some more happy people here.

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 685
ottoyu34 replied on Mon, Nov 16 2009 6:46 PM

There is another hothardware winner as we speak. 5 left.

Same,Im going to order the case and it should take a while for UPS standard.

I'm thinking of continuing from the entry and making it into a worklog.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Hey nelson, did you even finish your other rig?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, Nov 17 2009 3:13 PM

Any news on what's going on with this contest?  You know you guys who started Stage II last week are supposed to be "engaging" on this message board?  How about letting us know what you know and how you know it?  Still 5 slots left open, though some guy on Facebook posted a link to one of the winner's message board profile:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showuser=63263

a 15 year-old in New York.

I understand the mods are in conflict of interest, any owners/admins want to take a stab at what's going on?

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 310
zads replied on Tue, Nov 17 2009 4:29 PM

eunoia:

Any news on what's going on with this contest?  You know you guys who started Stage II last week are supposed to be "engaging" on this message board?  How about letting us know what you know and how you know it?  Still 5 slots left open, though some guy on Facebook posted a link to one of the winner's message board profile:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showuser=63263

a 15 year-old in New York.

I understand the mods are in conflict of interest, any owners/admins want to take a stab at what's going on?

From facebook wall:

"it's being built with my cousin in philadelphia who is over 30 years old,
but he doesnt have a facebook account nor an account on any of those websites.
hes the one who got me into computer building btw",
they probably put down the older guy's name and address.

As far as the winners of Stage 1, no one has gotten anything as far as I know,  so there's nothing to write about those.
I guess they could write about ordering the supporting components for their system, but that might be dull.

Personally, I'm doing a pretty big redesign to my entry.

Repositioning components, adding extra finishing touches- fillet corners to my acrylic plate cut outs, more cosmetic look, etc,.
Once I'm done with this "revision 3" I will being my buildlog/blog postings on my design process.
I'm not going to start fabricating until the components arrive from ASUS- I need to verify the exact dimensions to ensure everything fits, since all my pieces are pretty tight tolerances, if something doesn't fit properly I will be screwed.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, Nov 17 2009 4:39 PM

"it's being built with my cousin in philadelphia who is over 30 years old,
but he doesnt have a facebook account nor an account on any of those websites.
hes the one who got me into computer building btw",

LOL the kid just dug himself deeper:

"To be eligible for the top twenty (20) Xtreme Designs Winners of Stage I, participants must be a member..."

Got a link?  I can't find it.

...pending.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:52 PM

Never mind.  Looks like they dumped the kid for not following the rules.  Kinda ironic.

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

hey guys,

TKrow21 was ineligible from the start.  We had already informed him but i got his name mixed up by accident.  the fix has been made.  Sorry for the confusion guys!

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

And guys, please dont start stage 2 without getting further notice from us.  Once we have shipped the parts out, we will give further instructions on what to do next.

Page 2 of 3 (84 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS