ASUS Xtreme Design Contest Update!

This post has 83 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,866
Points 1,115,810
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Oct 23 2009 8:09 PM
We just wanted to post a quick reminder to let you all know that the Asus Xtreme Design contest is still going strong! In fact, our friends from Asus recently posted an update with some information about some of the winners so far. At this point, Team HotHardware is looking strong.  Here's what the Asus update said...

For those of you joining in, we wanted to give you an update on whats been going on with Xtreme Design!

We reached out to Hothardware members and asked what they would do with Xtreme Design features on ASUS motherboards. We also asked what kind of Xtreme Design computer build they would make if we supplied parts from our sponsored partners: INTEL, NVIDIA, ANTEC, G.SKILL, RAZER, SAMSUNG!

We picked a total of 20 winners and 7 of them were from Hothardware!

Sfanatics
DUOplus
Ragafoo
Ottoyu34
Nelsoncp21
KLSi
Zads

NelsonCP21's Creation...

DUOPlus's Xtreme Design...

These Xtreme Designers were given an Intel core i7 cpu, ASUS GTX260 powered by Nvidia, 4GB of G.Skill Trident series memory, Samsung 128GB SSD, Razer Lycosa keyboard and Deathadder mouse, and Antec Quattro 850Watt Power supply!

Stay tuned as we will pick a stage 2 winner to take their Xtreme Design and travel with us to LAS VEGAS! and show the world their Xtreme Design!

Show the world your Xtreme Design! 

ASUS has joined forces with Antec, Intel , G.Skill, Nvidia, Razer, Samsung and HOTHARDWARE to empower YOUR Xtreme ideas! Tell us what you would do if ASUS put “Xtreme Design Technology” In your hands!

Tell US:

• How would you build your "Xtreme" System if you won the sponsored hardware.
  • What is your "Xtreme Design" system's goal.
  • How ASUS' "Xtreme Design" motherboard features help your system and daily life.
  • Anything else that convinces us to pick your idea from the participating forums below.

This contest has 3 Stages:

Stage I:
Tell us what you would do with “Xtreme Design Technology!” Think about how ASUS’ Xtreme Design features can work for you. (Psst! Do your homework here: http://promos.asus.com/US/p55/index.htm )

2. Post your system project goals, anticipated challenges, diagrams, and sketches. Convince us you are capable of building your Xtreme Design! (Tip: Get some traction toward your idea by signing up on ASUS' official Facebook:

http://Facebook.com/ASUSOfficialPage/ )

3. Win some freaking awesome hardware to build your Xtreme Design, including an ASUS Xtreme Design motherboard, Intel Core i7 processor, Nvidia Graphics, Samsung SSD, Razer Keyboard+mouse, Antec power supply, and G.Skill Memory! ASUS will select up to twenty (20) of the most innovative proposals that can show off Xtreme Design in a real working scenario. Winners will be announced for “Stage I” on http://Facebook.com/ASUSOfficialPage Nov. 4th 2009.

Stage II:
The competition thickens! Twenty (20) “Stage I” winners will receive their prizes provided by ASUS and sponsors of Xtreme Design contest and post about their experience for 30 days in any of our participating forums! Show everyone pictures and videos of your goodies! Talk about your build! Show us your process! Give us screen-grabs of performance and tell us how you feel about Xtreme Design. Let everyone know how these parts are working as you build toward your goal! Reached your personal goal? Try to exceed it! Do whatever it takes to win!

2. The Twenty (20) winners will have an ASUS P7P55D PREMIUM motherboard + the following sponsored products to start with. You are free to design/use your own case, thermal solution, additional GPU, additional storage, additional memory to enhance your Xtreme Design.

3. Five (5) of the most engaging posters will be selected for special brand-spanking new hardware upgrades Dec. 7th.

Stage III:

1. One (1) lucky Xtreme Design champion will get a free trip with their rig to show off at the ASUS booth during CES 2010! Jan. 7th.

OUR SPONSORS AND PRIZES!!

Intel has sponsored (20) Core i7 CPUs

The new Intel Core i7 Processor: Ultimate smart performance. This new processor features Intel Turbo Boost Technology and Intel Hyper-Threading Technology, which together activate full processing power exactly where and when you need it.

Antec has sponsored (20) Quattro 850 Watt PSU

Antec's TruePower Quattro is more compact than most competing power supplies of the same wattage, yet ideally suited for handling the most demanding system specs.

G.Skill has sponsored (20) TDS series Memory kits

The G.Skill DDR 2133 CL9 4GB TDS "Trident Series memory is especially suited for overclockers, and comes equipped with the turbulence cooling fan.

Nvidia has sponsored (20) ASUS GTX260 GPUs

Configure your PC with the Power of 3 and build your new Xtreme Design PC with the three essential pieces to get an experience to match your style.

Nvidia GPU + Intel Core i5/i7 + ASUS P55 Motherboard = The power of 3!

Razer has sponsored (20) Lycosa keyboards and Deathadder mice

Execute complex combat maneuvers with swift dexterity. Launch your assaults timed to perfection. Annihilate your enemies and reign supreme on the battlefield. You now have the tactical advantage on every terrain, and your enemies' fates are in your hands.

Samsung has sponsored (20) 128GB SSD drives

An extremely efficient SSD for PCs applications, Samsung's SSD features world-class sequential read and write performance.

Thanks to all of our Sponsors and GOOD LUCK!! SHOW US WHAT YOU'VE GOT!!

Terms and Conditions

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 12:03 AM

Darn shame this isnt for AMD as well.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,431
Points 102,125
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 8:13 AM

It's on!

Good luck to all of you creative puppies out there!

You'll have some fun with this and win some cool stuff too!

HotHardware has done it again, it seems. Just like they said they would.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 11:31 AM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I'm lost, is this an HH contest? or is this an ASUS contest for anyone in the general public, not associated with this site?  If this is for the HH community, when does stage one end and entries need to be in, also where do the entries get posted?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 10:57 PM

Mental, this is an Asus contests sponsored specifically at HotHardware.com, for HH readers and participants only. There will be other sites involved but you can enter here and we'll be assisting in picking a winner for stage 1. Stage 1 winner selection is set for 11/4.

Post all your entries HERE in this thread! :D

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

Thanks for clearing that up for everyone Dave.

I hope that every eligible HH user takes up the opportunity to enter such a great contest! Big Smile

The gear packages to build your Xtreme Design system are awesome!

Who wouldn't want a Core i7 CPU, an ASUS P55 Mobo, an ASUS nVidiaGTX260, an Antec Quattro PSU, some G.Skill Trident RAM, a Razer Deathadder and Lycosa and best of all a 128GB Samsung SSD to work with? And 20 people will get the opportunity to build a system with these....that's CRAZY! Surprise

If I were eligible for the contest I'd already be trying to think of some ideas and possibly posting some of them up by now. I have a CM Storm Scout case holding my old rig and I'd love to upgrade it from P4 to i7. It even has a 2.5" Drive bay converter ready for the Samsung SSD Wink As most of you know I've never actually built a complete rig from start to finish, the most I've ever done is transfer my old rig to a new case. I'd love to have a chance at getting the opportunity to build a rig (which would be a huge learning curve for me) by myself. (Sorry if it seems like I'm writing an entry, but I feel quite distraught that I'd love to enter a contest like this but my location doesn't allow me to Sad)

I cannot stress how great I think this opportunity is for all you HHers out there. Get thinking and get designing as your fingers are literally touching $1800 of great hardware to create a masterpiece with!

Thanks to Dave and Marco and ASUS for setting up this opportunity for HH Users so please guys don't let it pass you by!

PS: I hope ASUS decides to hold a contest like this in the Asia Pacific Region in the near future! Yes

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Oct 25 2009 9:33 PM

Those are some kick-ass components. I'd enter, but I don't think I have the time to build anything worthy at the moment. I really hope that the winner creates something unique and special.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Oct 26 2009 8:24 AM

Folks, this contest is HUGE. I'll sum it up for you simply.

1 - Send in your ideas for an "Extreme System" based on Asus Xtreme Design features. (see link above) and post it here.

2 - Sign up on Asus' Facebook page and post a link to this thread on your idea.

3 - Get chosen and win some KILLER gear to build that system with and win a chance to go to CES and show your rig off in the Asus booth!

I'm confirming a few more things on this but start thinking now. You could win some pretty sweet stuff or more!

Editor In Chief

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Mon, Oct 26 2009 1:48 PM

...pending.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Oct 26 2009 2:29 PM

Hmm... actually yes. I think that's a good idea! Let me see what we can do.

Editor In Chief

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Mon, Oct 26 2009 4:31 PM

...pending.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Oct 26 2009 4:47 PM

eunoia:

Excellent!  I'll add this to the flow chart for my entry's purchasing and production schedule. 

Wait, maybe you're not clear on this.  You don't have to buy anything!  Just detail your ideas (pics, words, video whatever) and list in the forum.  If we/Asus pick you, Asus will send you the products to build it!

Editor In Chief

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Mon, Oct 26 2009 5:14 PM

I would build a multi use PC/server. This unit would consist of two operating systems. The first would be Windows 7 Ultimate; the Second would be Ubuntu 9.10. The reason for this is as stated this PC would be a multi use station. I would use it as a gaming desktop, a workstation for my current schooling @ University of Phoenix, and an Ubuntu cloud media communications server, and as a home music studio, and media server.

I would most likely use either an Antec 1200 full tower, all fans would be changed to green or purple using model Cooler Master R4-L2R-20CG-GP for 120MM fan duty because of the high output combined w/low noise level. The 200mm fan on this tower would need to be modified to green lighting as well for which I would use 2 more of the pre-mentioned fans to modify lighting from into the existing 200mm fan. I would also save the fans themselves after the removal of the lights for backup units.

My cooling for the I5 860 CPU would be a Scythe Mugen 2 with 2 of the aforesaid 120mm fans blowing towards the upper cooling exhaust fan. This would also help with any heat left over from the PSU (heat automatically rises, and with two 120mm fans blowing in tandem towards a 200mm exhaust over a gpu ) the larger amount of system produced heat would blow directly out of the system. Any residual heat from my 3 GTX 260 units would also be assisted through the rear exhaust 120mm fans as well as with air being automatically drawn over them by the CPU cooling fans.

For storage I would use 3 2TB Black WD serial ata2 drives in raid 5, these units would also handle backup files, all media storage and Ubuntu. Windows and games would be on the 2 Samsung 128 GB SSD running in raid 0 through serial ata3. My home media/music studio and cloud server would run exclusively from the sata 2 drives. This would also work well with my Wireless N Trendnet router broadcasting to my TV's on the 5 GB spectrum.

The Antec PSU which is very reliable would be critical to 24/7 operation for their reliability as well as stable power. The whole unit (memory and CPU would be clocked to 3.2 or 3.4, depending on the stability), and the GPU units would also be oc'd to 275 unit specs, which may require liquid cooling for two units running in SLI. I would like to double the memory to two of the Gskill memory kits for 8GB as well.

This will be my home server, which will provide all me and my families digital needs as a cloud server for the den computer and other units in my House of which with this unit there will be 2desktops/1media and 1 laptop. The media unit will be this unit the rest already exists although one of the desktops will be converted to a TV connected media unit and this unit will be the server to the multimedia files for it, and music.

The 1200 will serve as my Windows 7 gaming desktop through the 2 SSD's. The raid config's will benefit windows 7 and gaming as well as personal desktop use on the sata3 side of things where 6 TB's running on the three 2 TB units configured in raid 5 through the sata2 connections will be the media server backup and home music studio running in Ubuntu(cloud)/windows7.

This would actually also be a dream come true as my current desktop is not doing so well, and I doubt it will last longer than six months if that!

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Mon, Oct 26 2009 5:37 PM

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 120
Sfanatics replied on Mon, Oct 26 2009 10:39 PM

Here we go!

My Xtreme Design is a personal arcade machine.  Ok maybe some of you think its a waste of money, but I dont!  I Love StreetFighter 4.  So here is my contraption!

I would build the custom case around the sponsored products!  I want the most out of my SF4! and this game actually requires quite a bit of power to run everything on High!
With the Core i7 + P7P55D Premium it should be the perfect setup to run this with max settings.  I haven't overclocked since the amd xp days so Im a bit rusty but there seems to be good reviews on the Turbo V Evo feature with Auto tuning.  I should get in the 4GHZ easy!.  This would be great for me because it will do the real time stress testing which really is relieving the stress for me.  I dont have to  brush up on my OC skills.  From the reviews on all the sponsored products, they seem to be badass and topnotch, so i will definitely appreciate these.  So here is the twist of what makes my system a Xtreme Design...  i probably dont need hybrid OS since ill use win7.  Ive been hearing a lot about phase wars on motherboards.  T probe seems to be a pretty smart idea. especially if im OCed and i have a SF4 tournament.  I dont want my Rig blowing out on me.

I will have a see through window to display the board, fan, and GPU to be shown.  I might use a riser card/ribbon to display the card nicer, but we shall see.  I hate messy wires so everything will be tucked underneath or behind it.  Maybe some clean white LED to show off the system.  On top of all this, I will setup the fighter sticks, and a 120HZ LCD with 3D vision!  SF4 in 3D would look dope.  The blue and red buttons will be power and powerLED.  2 USB ports at each corner for the glasses and maybe Xbox controllers or the razer keyboard and mouse for other games. Sound will be placed inside / behind the screen or i will make ports for them. I may even consider upgrading to 8GB of ram and SLI the GTX260.   Am i missing anything?  Any inputs would help!

Oh yea, and now that i think about it, since this will be in my living room, it will be placed in the corner and i can double it for my HTPC.   

Thanks ASUS + nvidia + intel +gskill + antec +samsung + razer +hothardware!  I havent seen a contest like this in.... I dont know when...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Oct 26 2009 10:51 PM

Sfanatics threw down the gaunlet!  Come on now, get to it all!  Big Smile  Yes

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 175
tech-daddy replied on Mon, Oct 26 2009 10:51 PM

Good evening everyone.... and there goes the neighborhood. A quick introduction, ny name is Craig Tate, and I go by tech-daddy online. I came here from the contest post up on Facebook, and I hope to not only participate in this contest, but add a bit of content/post/spice in other places as well. This contest looks to be interesting and fun, and being that I have been out of the modding scene for a while... I think it's time to jump back in and have some fun!

I'll be posting up my idea and sketches in a bit... taking the tape measure out top the garage right now... hehehhe, see y'all around!

-=TD

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 100
DuoPlus replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 2:53 PM

ASUS rocks

I been a ASUS fan for a long time and this contest will be for the extreme designer, which I will surely try do my best.  My case mod will be built from the ground up and The name of the case DUO +.  It will be a test bench\ gamer\home theater pc and it will consist of two pc into one, each computer will serve its purpose, one pc will be the test bench\gamer and the other will be the HTPC.  So my extreme design will accommodate ASUS “Xtreme Design Technology” first of all the P7P55D will surely be utilized in my testbench\gamer pc by utilizing the Hybrid Technology especially in overclocking and fps in gaming.  The following sketch is My testbench\gamer pc:

My HTPC will also utilize the P7P55D.  The Hybrid Technology and the unique features will surely be used.  Hybrid Processor will be used in faster video encoding and the 10-channel audio will be utilized in a true surround sound experience.  And the SATA 6Gb/s will be very helpful in hard drive performance. The following sketch will be my overall computer including the HTPC:

Most of the “DUO+” will be watercooled to keep thing quiet and cool, hard drives (8 total), cpu (2 total), and video cards (3 total).  The testbench\gamer will have 2 hard drives and the HTPC will have 6 hard drives.  On video cards, the testbench\gamer will have 2 video cards in SLI and the HTPC will have one. The whole build will be custom made, so the watercoooling system will be custom configured.

Now there are two things that I added to my build that has nothing to do with performance and that is I’m adding a mini refrigerator that holds 6 12-ounces cans of soda.  Now I don’t have to go to the kitchen for a drink.  I’ve added trays for tools, like screwdrivers, LED lights, and a tray for my USB drives and flash drives or any other accessories that I have for storage.

I also will use one LCD monitor, one mouse, and one sound system for both computers through a KVM switch or VMware, not for sure which one.  I will also have a network hub to network the two computers.  And a UPS will be included for electrical backup and surge protection.

The sketches that I provided was a ruff draft without the watercooling included and actual lighting of the whole system, and a place for the KVM switch, network hub, or the UPS. 

Thank You, ASUS

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

SFanatics, rapid1,and duoplus, those are awesome drawings and great descriptions.  Prime example of what we are looking for.  Keep them coming!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 5:00 PM

No Dave, his cabinet's going to play SF4, not Gauntlet.

lol (ducking and running).

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 10,995
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 7:45 PM

After reading the Rules and the Terms and Conditions, I assume I post my idea in this thread by Nov 4th for the 1st stage?

Thanks for the info and for holding this amazing contest!

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 175

So... are we supposed to post in this thread, or on the participating forum? Did I miss something? (entirely possible)

(looking at the rules, I see the direct linking to each page on each forum... I will move my post into this thread. Apologies for the confusion)

I bring you... The Sleeper!! ;)

LAN parties rock.... we all know this. However, toting your machine back and forth is cumbersome, and in the event of watercooling.... dangerous. externally mounted radiators and tubes can get banged up, hung up, yanked and pulled upon... leading to leaks and failure of the entire system, along with expensive repair and part replacement just to fix the cooling system. This does not even touch on if the actual components of the computer system are actually leaked on!

So, I propose a rugged and durable PC designed to have the water cooling fully enclosed in the chassis. Make it easy to empty and maintain for transport, and easy to fill upon arrival.The chassis must also look good, because nobody wants to roll up to a LAN party and get laughed out because your machine looks like a$$. So, displaying the internal goodness through a window is a must. All of this hardware is beautiful to look at, but will need to be tied together in a cohesive theme. If the stuff does not match... I gotta make it match or tie together. Lighting the internals with accent LED's or flood LED's will need to be weighed. But the beauty inside needs to be seen outside. And it does no good if it gets busted while being moved, so the accents need to be durable and stylish.

The Liquid cooling will allow for the best use of the Hybrid processor performance optimizations that are built into the Asus motherboard. The CPU being water cooled will make the system OC friendly and stable with exceptional heat management. Tapping into the Hybrid phase technology, I am anticipating my first true foray into overclocking to be a rewarding and smooth event. (The last time I went out purposefully overclocking, we were using Slot1 motherboards and I had a "Cloverleaf" Celeron 300a CPU, so it has been awhile!) Utilizing the enthusiast performance characteristics of this motherboard, I am looking to enjoy "performance for free". And if I'm at a LAN and need a few more FPS to lay some smack down on my opponent, I can slap the Turbo Key and get a little "somethin extra" to help push some pain! Or, if I'm gaming at my typical level, I'll simply die a WHOLE lot faster! ;)

Challenges that I am going to have are ruggedizing the case, and the internal components, internalizing a good radiator with tube management will be key, cable management will be mandatory.... all of this while maintaining a stylish balance. The Antec Quattro 800w PSU will be more than up to the task of management due to it's modular approach to cabling.There may still need to be some custom power leads created to keep it sleek and clean inside.

When you are going for a performance machine, you need I/O, and the Samsung SSD hard drive will play a prominent role in the performance of this machine. with an SSD in the mix, there is no way you would hide a drive like this, so special fabricated mounting would be required to put the drive in a position of promanence.

The The GTX260 video card is a great performer of a card and would need to be modified to fit the rugged theme. There would be no water cooling on the card to keep the complexity to a minimum as well as weight. Remember, this is needs to be a portable performer.

The G.Skill memory with the cooling fan is *prime* for modification, but having never seen one, I'm unsure what all I can do to it. It is a good looking piece of hardware all by itself and may only need minor touch-ups.

This is my plan... pictures and sketches will be forthcoming as I flesh out more of the details.

Should be a fun rig to build though!

-=Craig "Tech-Daddy" Tate

(edit:10/27/2009 - get the lead out buddy! )

Deciding on my case, I'm going to utilize a NZXT Tempest. I am working on my sketches for the internal layout and cable/tube management and will update the thread after I have a good concept for you all! But this case takes care of some of the size and construction issues, allowing for more of the time to be spent on a quality presentation of the components... as well as some awesome acrylic shaping and fabrication!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 9:34 PM

Good question!  We've since dedicated a full forum section the contest, so you can paste it in this thread or in its own thread in the new forum section, we'll see it and you're in.  Attention Asus Xtreme Design!  We'll be watching all threads in this forum section, right?  Big Smile

Editor In Chief

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 9:35 PM

3vi1:

No Dave, his cabinet's going to play SF4, not Gauntlet.

lol (ducking and running).

Ohhhh... you're just a funny man there 3vil1!

Editor In Chief

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Now this freakin rocks. Man I still haven't even finshed my  project and I am suppose to come up with another and possibly build it within 30 days. I so want to join in the fun on this but I am kinda hesitant since I seriously doubt I would have the time to build it. Let me mull it over if I can come up with a good enough idea. then you know I can't resist something like this. So let me make sure I clear on this. This isn't just strictly a case modding project but more a creative way to use the new features on the ASUS board right? So if our project would include other hardware or electronics then we would be responsible for providing those for the build if we were chosen?

I am starting to hear Rocky music in the background guys. "getting strong now" I think I might really need to give some competiton here.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 175
tech-daddy replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 10:02 PM

Bring it!

It's a short cycle build on Stage 2... and dont forget about the holidays, so, dont make it tooo complicated, or at least more complicated than you think you can pull. I am scheduling my modding in 25 days time (as you will likely loose 4-5 days around the Turkey day time vortex...)....

Keep it going everyone!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 10:25 PM

nelsoncp21:

Now this freakin rocks. Man I still haven't even finshed my  project and I am suppose to come up with another and possibly build it within 30 days. I so want to join in the fun on this but I am kinda hesitant since I seriously doubt I would have the time to build it. Let me mull it over if I can come up with a good enough idea. then you know I can't resist something like this. So let me make sure I clear on this. This isn't just strictly a case modding project but more a creative way to use the new features on the ASUS board right? So if our project would include other hardware or electronics then we would be responsible for providing those for the build if we were chosen?

I am starting to hear Rocky music in the background guys. "getting strong now" I think I might really need to give some competiton here.

Ahh Nelson, I was wondering when you'd pick up on this contest.  It has your name ALL OVER it. Big Smile 

That's correct.  Asus and the sponsors will provide the base system - motherboard, RAM, CPU, GPU, PSU, SSD for storage, keyboard and mouse.  You guys would do the rest, which is basically a case plus whatever enhancements you want to conjure up!

Editor In Chief

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 10:40 PM

RyuGTX:

After reading the Rules and the Terms and Conditions, I assume I post my idea in this thread by Nov 4th for the 1st stage?

Correctamundo! Cool

Editor In Chief

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 10,995
RyuGTX replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 11:42 PM

Dave_HH:

RyuGTX:

Correctamundo! Cool

Thanks for the clarification. This works out great because I can start thinking about it after my midterms this Thursday. I can use the whole weekend to brainstorm and sketch.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

I got an idea for a PC gaming all-in-one chair. It would kinda be like a Laz-y boy, except the PC would be housed under your seat, so you'd effectively be sitting on it. 

Open an armrest and a keyboard and mousepad will fold over your lap ala airplane food trays in first class.

The chair would come equipped not with a screen but a projector which can be pointed on any blank wall.

And of course, the PC components will be easily accessed for upgrades or swappability.

Issues to work out:

1. Where to place the projector so it has an unobstructed view.

2. Chair  must recline, but where to house to PC if the reclining mechanism is underneath.

3. Also, would cup holders be a safety hazard.

Of course, I don't think my brother will let me use his projector for the eventual build, so it's wholly impractical. Just getting the juices flowing though!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Wed, Oct 28 2009 8:13 PM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Well I have given it a little thought. Honestly with the features of this board everything is pretty much done for you. I think I have something though that will enhance the experience. I have to do some more research and see if this is even feasable especially in a 30 day timeframe. It would be so much easier if I could just somehow use my current project for this contest but even that probably wouldn't be done in time. Besides half the fun is coming up with a new idea. Stay tuned. I ain't spillin the beans  yet but I think I gots a good 1 ya'll.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Oct 28 2009 10:44 PM

nelsoncp21:

Well I have given it a little thought. Honestly with the features of this board everything is pretty much done for you. I think I have something though that will enhance the experience. I have to do some more research and see if this is even feasable especially in a 30 day timeframe. It would be so much easier if I could just somehow use my current project for this contest but even that probably wouldn't be done in time. Besides half the fun is coming up with a new idea. Stay tuned. I ain't spillin the beans  yet but I think I gots a good 1 ya'll.

Bring it for the team NELSON!  Yes

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 685
ottoyu34 replied on Thu, Oct 29 2009 12:27 AM

Is it true that we could have multiple submissions? since I read that in some other forums

Thanks for answering.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 295

made the rules a bit more clear.  hope it helps

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

well I got mine up.  I guess now I have to actually join facebook which I have been avoiding up until now. One last question. Does the OS come with the gear too or do we have to spring for that? You would think they would include Windows 7 with it to take advantage of some of the features.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Oct 29 2009 10:23 PM

nelsoncp21:

well I got mine up.  I guess now I have to actually join facebook which I have been avoiding up until now. One last question. Does the OS come with the gear too or do we have to spring for that? You would think they would include Windows 7 with it to take advantage of some of the features.

Hi Nelson, we're working on fixing your image issue here. Sorry but we've had a rash of forum bugs lately that we're trying to squash.  Stay tuned!

Editor In Chief

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Oct 30 2009 12:58 AM

Dave_HH:

nelsoncp21:

Hi Nelson, we're working on fixing your image issue here. Sorry but we've had a rash of forum bugs lately that we're trying to squash.  Stay tuned!

All fixed!  Images restored! Big Smile

Editor In Chief

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

lol I didn't even realize there was an issue. Thanks though Big Smile.

So I finally signed up for facebook but I am not seeing what I am suppose to do there. Is there something on ASUS's "official page" that I am suppose to click on. Did I even really have to join facebook for this contest?

Page 1 of 3 (84 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS