Logitech's G110 Gaming Keyboard Lights Up Your Life

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,871
Points 1,172,400
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Oct 15 2009 11:35 PM
Look out, folks--we've got a feeling that a new stream of new Logitech gear has just begun flowing, with the MK605 notebook bundle hitting earlier this week and now the G110 gaming keyboard. The oddly named successor to the G11 is a straightforward 'board, but clearly the extras are aimed at those who spend more time fragging than typing emails to grandma. Oh, and shame on you for that!

Anyways, the QWERTY + numeric pad set is graces with customizable backlighting, with an array of blue and red LEDs beneath the keys themselves able to be controled via the Profiler software. Once you've got that installed, your keyboard can be red, blue, or "pretty much any shade of purple you can imagine." Looking for yellow or green? Outta luck, partner.  You'll also get a dozen programmable "G-keys" and a trifecta of "M-keys," giving you the power to assign up to 36 single keystrokes, multi-key macros, or intricate LUA scripts. And, using the MR key, you can configure macros on the fly.

There's also an auto game detection feature that lets you create separate custom G-key programming profiles for every game you play, and the game mode switch handily disables the Windows and Context Menu keys so you're never accidentally booted from your game. Nice thinking, Logitech! Finally, the built-in audio plugs enable you to jack your headset right into the keyboard, and the integrated USB 2.0 hub port supports a mouse or other USB low-power device.

Both Mac and PC software is bundled in, and naturally you'll need a single open USB port to have this one plugged in; it'll retail for $79.99 and should ship to North America starting in late November, and in Europe in January.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Fri, Oct 16 2009 11:54 AM

I'll have to pass, because I know it is completely unforeseeable as to how long it takes before someone sniffs the signals and writes a Linux driver that supports the extra features. :(

Logitech refuses to give out specs or open source any part of their drivers. I once long ago asked them for relevant information for one of their older webcams, so that I could write a Linux driver for it, and got a somewhat nicely worded "No." back.

Also, I wish there was a more ergonomic gaming keyboard. Companies have made their gamepad's ergonomic, so why not the keyboard? It's a perfect match, since games are played for hours on end.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

"There's also an auto game detection feature that lets you create separate custom G-key programming profiles for every game you play, and the game mode switch handily disables the Windows and Context Menu keys so you're never accidentally booted from your game. Nice thinking, Logitech! Finally, the built-in audio plugs enable you to jack your headset right into the keyboard, and the integrated USB 2.0 hub port supports a mouse or other USB low-power device."

That para sums up what makes this a great keyboard. As 3vi1 has stated, an ergonomic design is the only thing missing from this keyboard.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

It is a very nice keyboard if you're a gamer and need a new keyboard. However, if you already have a G11 (or even the Illuminated like I have), then I do not see it as worth the upgrade.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Know what makes this a killer looking keyboard?  The fact that it looks like you're at a control center of some sci fi space ship.  I wouldn't mind using it, if the keys were low profile.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

How about a Linux Driver that supports the G keys?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

josephbus1:

How about a Linux Driver that supports the G keys?

Don't expect that from Logitech any time soon. Although I have a G500 that has onboard memory. I set it up once in Windows and I have my sensitivity settings and everything in Linux.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS