Case In Point: THX on Wheels

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,235
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Oct 1 2009 12:06 PM

Case In Point: THX on WheelsWhen Graham McKenna, the PR guy at THX, contacted me and asked me if I’d like to borrow a new Lincoln MKT SUV for a few days, I jumped at the chance. To be perfectly honest, I didn’t care a whit about the MKT itself. I wanted to check out how THX and Ford engineered the sound system in the vehicle.

When McKenna arrived with the MKT, I was a little taken aback. The MKT is built on Ford’s Flex platform. So although it seats up to seven people, it’s relatively low slung. It is, however, long. As it turns out, the MKT isn’t the car for me (even if I could afford the price tag), mostly because it seems to be engineered for fairly tall people – and at 5 foot 7 inches in socks, tall I’m not. Still, it proved to be a polished ride, and it was great fun driving a luxury vehicle that wasn’t even for sale on car lots yet. Though this isn’t about the car, but about the sound system...

Case In Point: THX on Wheels

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Oct 1 2009 12:29 PM

THX on Wheels.... That's a song by My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, right? :)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,040
ForumsAdministrator

What, no 0-60 m.p.h. or 1/4-mile times!!!Big Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Thu, Oct 1 2009 7:19 PM

dude is all about the noise, not the speed :p

MacBook Pro 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy, Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo T8700 - 2.53G, 8GB DDR3 1066, NVIDIA GForce 9400M 1280X800

HTPC 4G DDR3 XMS Corsair, Intel i5-750 Quad Core, 6ft HDMI Cable by Rosewill, AverMedia Tv Card, Gigabyte P55M-UD2,  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Vapor X Cooling, 500 HD Maxtor 7200 2.5 HDD, Asus Blu-Ray Optical Drive, 46" LED Toshiba TV

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Cool review, but if you can afford this car, you can afford to put a kickass sound system in your Corolla.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,474
Points 47,040
ForumsAdministrator

gibbersome:

Cool review, but if you can afford this car, you can afford to put a kickass sound system in your Corolla.

I'm just the opposite. I'd settle for an AM radio as long as it came installed in a kick-ass car!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 457
Points 5,945

I like the slot style dashboard speaker.

I would have liked pics of the subwoofer and the other speakers they used though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator

Me too, the kick ass car is the way to go.

The Subaru he started with is a good start. They're built real nice and sturdy,......I had a Subaru Forester a few years back and it was a Turbocharged car. It hauled ass and left most other cars out there looking stupidly at your tailpipe as you left them behind. Wheee!

What a bunch of fun it was to drive! It had tons of traction and the stereo was quite nice as well. Big Smile

Yeah, kick ass car for sure,...........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 341
Points 4,490
slugbug replied on Fri, Oct 9 2009 1:59 AM

I prefer to listen to the car tunes.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 4,730

Looks cool, I will say that however it sorta screams gimmick all the same, I could see a THX qaudrophonic setup, but the center chan isn't gonna work unless its mimicked in the back seat, seat distance is unequal, and driver pos'n is less then ideal for speaker separation.

That said depending on implementation it could sort of work to create a sound envelope that could be convincing.  But I mean multi-channel soundtracks normally require (near)perfect situations to create an accurate soundstage.  This why '4 stereo' DSPs work so well with current indash decks

AMD X6 1100T - MSI 750-G55 - 16GB Patriot Viper II - nVidia GTX 470 - SB XFi Titanium>JVC A-X9>JBL Control Monitor 4312A

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS