Rep system instead of Points system?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome Posted: Fri, Sep 25 2009 9:15 AM

I'm new here so please go easy on me.

I have seen the points based system that's implemented here but it seems little arbitrary and random to me. If I understand correctly you receive more points if people reply to your posts or threads. But someone could very easy rack up points with inane posts, or starting a controversial topic.

What I was proposing instead was a reputation based system (as on slickdealz.net). If you like someone's post, you give them reputation points. In this way if someone posts a thread regarding some hardware or tech problem, the user who gives the best response will get the most points.

There are many ways to prevent abuse of the reputation system (a user can give out max 10 points a day. Cannot give back to back reputation to the same user, etc). I don't know if this is possible but maybe worth looking to?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,649
Points 55,380
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Sep 25 2009 10:18 AM

Hi Gibb,

Good questions and thanks for taking time to write this up and participate in the HH Forum community.  We run Community Server software for this forum and unfortunately, there's not much we can do to customize how the member point system works.

Here's some detail on how member points are calculated though:

http://docs.communityserver.com/control-panel/membership-administration/member-points-system-overview/

Thanks

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Fri, Sep 25 2009 10:52 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I understand the point system much better now, but I thought I'd throw a new idea out there.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

The only funny thing I have see from the points system is when we moved over AcidBurn who started the longest thread challenge got some insane amount of points because every thread starter got points for every reply in the old forums.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705

Lol, that gives me an idea...most likely will get me banned but what the hell. Hmm

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 8 2009 11:43 PM

Oh no, here comes another "Babe thread".

LOL!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,964
Points 25,705
gibbersome replied on Thu, Oct 15 2009 10:20 PM

Haha, I actually had a different idea.

Back in my younger days I used to be called "the resurrector". I would go around to forums and dig up old threads and post non sequiturs, in effect resurrected them. Of course, this usually led to being banned. It was a confusing and dark time in my life....  Embarrassed

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS