rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,383
Points 1,192,230
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Sep 15 2009 8:32 PM

Super Talent's Two TeraByte PCIe RAIDDrive SSD to Begin Shipping Early October

New SSD Architecture Breaks Storage Performance Bottleneck with Sequential Transfer Speeds up to 1.4GB/sec

San Jose, California - September 16, 2009 - Super Talent Technology, a leading manufacturer of Flash storage solutions and DRAM memory modules, will start shipping the first PCI Express RAIDDriveTM SSDs in early October.

RAIDDrive is designed to break the throughput bottleneck in the storage subsystem by removing the bandwidth limitation of the SATA bus. The PCIe Gen. 2.0 x8 interface used by RAIDDrive SSDs supports 4GB/sec bandwidth, more than ten times that of the SATA-II 3Gbps bus, and five times greater than the not yet available SATA-III bus.

Using patent pending RAID architecture that is optimized for NAND flash memory, RAIDDrive is able to support sequential read speeds of up to 1.4GB/sec. A turbocharged cache system with up to 1GB of DRAM cache enables sequential write speeds as fast as 1.2GB/sec. RAIDDrive, which houses four discrete SATA SSDs, comes in a custom aluminum enclosure measuring 258 x 112 x 25 mm. Higher capacity RAIDDrive models use the RAIDDrive Expander - a separate PCIe card - to hold a total of eight SATA SSDs.

SuperTalent is releasing three families of RAIDDrives with features optimized for different market segments:

• RAIDDrive ES - Enterprise Servers performing compute intensive applications such as database transaction processing, business intelligence, and virtualization. RAIDDrive ES can be factory configured as RAID 0 or RAID 5, and fits in a 3U rack mount chassis. A battery backup module for the ES protects data in the event of a power loss. Built using SLC flash for high endurance, RAIDDrive ES is available in capacities up to 1TB.

• RAIDDrive WS - Workstation users performing tasks including animation, video editing, oil and gas exploration, CAD/EDA simulation, and scientific computing. RAIDDrive WS can be factory configured as RAID 0 or RAID 5. The WS uses SLC flash and is offered in capacities up to 1TB.

• RAIDDrive GS - Gamers and Enthusiasts looking to supercharge their IO Subsystem. RAIDDrive GS can be factory configured as RAID 0 or RAID 5, uses MLC flash and is available in capacities up to 2TB.

"RAIDDrive SSDs are a quantum leap ahead of existing SSDs in sequential transfer speeds due to our RAID architecture combined with the latest in flash technology and the bandwidth of the PCI Express interface. RAIDDrive shatters previous storage system bottlenecks and sets a new standard in performance." Super Talent COO, CH Lee said in a statement. RAIDDrive SSDs are available to OEMs and system integrators directly from Super Talent. OEM pricing for the 1TB RAIDDrive GS is $4999. RAIDDrive will be running in a live demo system at the Intel Developer Forum (IDF) in San Francisco, September 22-24 in the Super Talent booth, #419.

• | Post Points: 125
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

OMG... me want!!!

Wonder how much I can get for 1 of my kidneys... hopefully 5 grand. lol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Wed, Sep 16 2009 1:11 AM

not enough lol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Holy crap, I hate SSDs but I want this and want it bad.  That would be amazing.  It's too bad it costs as much as a car, but PCI-e SSD just screams performance.

Hello

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Wed, Sep 16 2009 10:10 AM

I must ask, what is there to hate about SSDs? Other than their current price/storage ratio, of course.

I, too, really want one of these, but I think they need to come out with one that's only 250 GB or something, so it will hopefully be closer to $500 or so.

><((((">Lev Astov

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Lev_Astov:

I must ask, what is there to hate about SSDs? Other than their current price/storage ratio, of course.

That's pretty much it.  I also feel, based on benchmarks I have read, that their speed boost is nothing revolutionary.  I have never used one myself, so I cannot say for certan, but based on benchmarks I'd rather get a Velociraptor for much cheaper.  This PCI-e SSD is just so badass that I won't dare criticize.  I wonder if it really would perform much faster, but whatever it's more of a novelty right now imo.

Hello

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

They are going to keep getting cheaper and faster though. I think eventually they will overtake hard drives. PCIe SSDs look interesting, but SATA I don't think is the way SSDs should go.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,688
Points 104,345
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Sep 16 2009 3:29 PM

This is one of those things that you read about and then years later realize that it was one of the defining moments in computer development. Now for the years that we'll need to see the prices come down enough to allow the mainstream computer user to buy them. Hopefully I'll still be alive then.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,688
Points 104,345
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Sep 16 2009 3:32 PM

How would this effect video graphics performance in a gaming machine since it uses the PCI Express banwidth?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Wed, Sep 16 2009 5:44 PM

@Crisis Causer: I hear you. As the (someday soon, I hope) owner of a whole computer costing 1/5 that price, I long for an SSD but will have to wait on it. No, I don't own one, but I know people who do (the HD-replacement kind, as opposed to the PCIe variety); and they say that they were just blown away by the speed of access. And some of them were coming from Velociraptors. (WoW does a lot of disk access, so that might be skewing things in favor of SSDs.) I doubt if anyone could argue that they're way quieter than those screaming HDs, too.

Thing is, it's clear that they're going for a larger market than enthusiasts. The ES and WS models serve a need for people doing intensive work on multiple files and which can really show the bottlenecks in a system. Oh, I'm sure a few very rich gamers will pop for it, too, but that's clearly not their main market.

A while ago, I wondered whether the low-end crop of PCIe 1x slot SSDs were any better or worse than the HD-replacement variety which sat on the SATA chain. OCZ has one for $85:

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-OCZSSDMPES-32G-miniPCI-Express-Solid/dp/B00284AIZS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253137063&sr=8-10

I'm pretty sure, though, that these look like a SATA-II drive to the motherboard; they may have an on-board controller that emulates one. And I'm not 100% sure they'd work in a desktop, since they're mainly used in netbooks. However, the size is right, and though the price per GB is worse, that much is affordble to even such plebians as myself.

I believe that many gamers-- perhaps even most-- are addicted to one game in particular and want a way to speed that one up. For Bob_on_the_cob it's Team Fortress; for me it's World of Warcraft. We don't need terabyte drives to hold that game, but a smaller drive at a smaller price might be just what we need.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

realneil:

How would this effect video graphics performance in a gaming machine since it uses the PCI Express banwidth?

As long as you have a motherboard with 16 electrical lines to your graphics card and I think 4 to this thing then it should have no affect at all.

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 175
starwhite replied on Thu, Sep 17 2009 7:31 PM

Sweeet! I now KNOW what I want for my Birthday! Mommmeee!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I WANT ONE! looks intense.

The only thing is, HOW CAN THEY CALL THIS RAID?!?!

i though RAID meant Redundant Array of INEXPENSIVE DISKS...is this an inexpensive disk?? at $5,000, i dont think so! lol.

pH@nt0mx64

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

digitalphantom:

I WANT ONE! looks intense.

The only thing is, HOW CAN THEY CALL THIS RAID?!?!

i though RAID meant Redundant Array of INEXPENSIVE DISKS...is this an inexpensive disk?? at $5,000, i dont think so! lol.

True I think raid has adapted though. It used to be a way to get good performance out of cheap drives, now it has moved to the high end. Getting a few great drives and squeezing the most out of them you can.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 225
Points 2,395
Kiristo replied on Wed, Sep 23 2009 6:23 AM

This looks very awesome, but very expensive. I think with our ever-advancing technology, we should see the end of rotating disks and the mass use of solid state disks in 3-5 years. They just need to come down in price now that there are some large capacity options available. I'd want to replace my entire storage (which is sevral TBs), not just what is required for the OS/games. Granted, a 256GB SSD for my OS and games when at a reasonable price will seem an attractive option.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 345
martin_nj replied on Mon, Oct 5 2009 10:03 AM

RE: How would this effect video graphics performance in a gaming machine since it uses the PCI Express banwidth?

i would say not that much as once the level is loaded you're not really using the hard drive much....

~~Dell Laptop , D520, Core2Duo @ 2.0Ghz undervolted to 1.0v

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS