This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,505
Points 1,197,020
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 26 2009 4:53 PM

OCZ Technology Unveils the Agility EX

The Industry’s Most Affordable SLC-Based Solid State Drive

San Jose, CA—August 26, 2009—OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a worldwide leader in innovative, ultra-high performance and high reliability memory, power supplies, and solid state drives, today unveiled the OCZ Agility EX Series which makes SLC (single-level cell) NAND-based storage truly affordable in a solid state drive for the first time. The Agility EX provides the best of both worlds —the performance and advantages of SLC NAND technology at an incredible value. Based on the quality Indilinx controller, the Agility EX Series delivers an enhanced computing experience with faster application loading, snappier data access, shorter boot-ups, and longer battery life.

“Though SLC has traditionally been more expensive than MLC flash there are both performance and lifespan advantages to SLC based solid state drives, it is for consumers that require the extended reliability of single level cell flash that we are now introducing the Agility EX series of SSDs,” commented Eugene Chang, VP of Product Management at the OCZ technology Group. “The Agility EX offers consumers the most cost effective SLC solid state storage solution on the market, and when customers take all the benefits of SLC into consideration the total cost of ownership of these drives truly shines through.”

With superior performance over both conventional hard drives and MLC (multi-level cell) SSDs, the SLC-based Agility EX features incredible sequential and random write speeds for an unparalleled computing experience across the complete spectrum of applications. In addition to exceptional performance the Agility EX series provides an improved total cost of ownership (TCO) with its superior write/erase cycle endurance. Agility EX SSDs feature industry-dominating speeds, up to 255MB/s read and 195MB/s write speeds, 64MB of onboard cache, and unique performance optimization to keep the drives at peak performance.

OCZ will initially release the Agility EX in a 60(64)GB solution with an MSRP of $399 and a leading 3-year warranty and award-winning technical support, ensuring unparalleled peace of mind.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I don't think I understand why everyday there is a new ssd from the major companies.  Why can't they just lower the price already?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I agree. They have gotten a bit cheaper. With decent drives around the $150 mark now.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Aug 27 2009 7:40 PM

mentaldisorder is right. I want a SSD for curing that WoW disk load bottleneck, but it's hard to decide what to buy when the field can change literally overnight.

Not that I'd seriously consider a drive that would add 40% to my system build price, but y'know, a fella can dream. And this release will mean that the last generation of SSDs-- anything released more than three days ago-- will go down in price shortly. Cross fingers!

The Agility EX's 255 MB/sec translates to 2040 Mb/sec (B=Bytes, b=bits). We are thisclose to saturating the SATA-II standard of 3 Gb/sec. You know, someone commented that the SATA 3.0 standard (6 Gb/sec) was in place but no one was making devices that required it-- folks, I think we may be seeing SSDs that require it real soon.

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS