Asus G51VX-RX05 Gaming Notebook Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,863
Points 1,115,690
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Aug 17 2009 9:26 AM

Recently, we've seen the meteoric rise of netbooks in the mobile space. Their ultra portability in conjunction with the global economic climate seems to have led consumers to think twice about spending large amounts of cash on mobile devices. This is especially true when netbooks offer the same basic services (word processing, internet surfing, email) for a considerably smaller investment than most other models. But with netbooks, problems surface when users want to do more than just the basic tasks. While no one can argue against their usability, size, and price point, netbooks don't have the processing power to play the latest games or handle significant multimedia workloads, which are key to meeting the demands of gamers and enthusiasts.

With their Eee PC line of products, Asus has been at the forefront of the netbook revolution. But they've also got an extensive line-up of full-sized notebooks and laptops that was recently expanded with the new gaming machine aimed at mainstream consumers, that combines strong graphics performance and surprising affordability. The G51VX-RX05 is a member of the Asus Republic of Gamers line targeted at the performance enthusiast market and features a Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB of DDR2 memory, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M GPU, a 15.6" LCD display, a spacious 320GB hard drive, and Windows Vista 64-bit operating system. While those specs are appealing, the most attractive feature we can list is the competitive asking price, which currently sits at about $1049. With the new school year just around the corner, we know consumers are in the market for notebooks that provide the best performance for their dollar, so let's take a closer look at what the G51VX has to offer.

Asus G51VX-RX05 Gaming Notebook Review

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

The button to the left of the Power button should be the Turbo boot, which loads a slimline OS that loads in seconds and gives basic access to internet, chat, etc.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I have the G71Gx version of this guy with the 260. It was a "special edition" at Best Buy at $1149. Little bit higher res(1440x900 or there about), little faster, 6GB of RAM, lousy mouse buttons but very, very solid for the price. Looks like the unit reviewed here has a bit slicker case design but otherwise, looks like the same fast-as-hell result. Definitely can't complain about the price.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,900
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Aug 17 2009 3:32 PM

They're definitely well-spec'ed machines.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
raghu102 replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 4:41 AM

Could you compare the Asus G51VX-RX05 with the Sager NP8662 & the NP5797? I am planning to get a gaming laptop, preferably one that is upgradable & am looking at these 3 models. Please help me select one.... I require a proper gaming system..... Thanx

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25

this is about the same size as a 17", i was gonna buy one of the g51 versions they had at bestbuy but the size threw me away. i didnt want anything bigger than a 15 or 16 inch. plus the flashy lights on the lid i heard cant be turned off and thatll just draw a lot of attention in college classes with hundreds of people. youll def want an extended battery for this baby too

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS